What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights ride to the rescue of Kaufusi

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Jesus. Antonio hasn't done anything of note except screw up his knee since 2006. Thats about 10kg's ago for me. A long f**king time.

Yosh

Coach
Well as someone above mentioned if Cowboys paying some of his wages and if probably really wants to get his career back on track, could work out well.

Lets just not throw huge sums of money at him for a long period.

Serc

First Grade
Stone banks on Kaufusi revival
BY BRETT KEEBLE
21 Jun, 2010 12:00 AM

KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone sensed a climate change could help Cowboys prop Antonio Kaufusi return to the form that earned him Australian and Queensland jerseys.
A Kangaroos representative in 2006 and Maroons squad member for the first game of the 2007 Origin series, Kaufusi has a year to run on his contract with North Queensland, but the Knights are on the verge of signing him for the rest of this season and a further two years.
Stone said the Knights had not yet finalised a deal with the 25-year-old forward and had to move quickly to complete the transfer before the June 30 deadline.
"I've spoken to a few people who know him pretty well, and they think maybe Townsville, maybe the heat thing, mightn't have been the best thing for him," Stone said of Kaufusi, who played six seasons in Melbourne before joining the Cowboys last year.
"But he looks like he's still in good shape and still got that speed and agility that made him the player he was as far as carrying the footy's concerned. He's a player who has obviously reached a fair level and done a fair bit in his career."
Tongan-born Kaufusi represented his birth nation alongside Knights players Richie Fa'aoso and Cooper Vuna in the 2008 World Cup.
Stone said the presence of several players of Polynesian heritage at Newcastle would be beneficial.
"I feel he's still got something to offer and I think he still thinks he has. He's not an old bloke by any stretch of the imagination," he said.
"Look, we have got a few Polynesian blokes here and we possibly do train a little bit differently to some of the other teams, and I think that style may help him a little bit.
"Sometimes a player gets into a club and for whatever reason - personality clash, homesickness, not enjoying their footy or whatever - it sometimes stops them from performing at their best. "A lot of those times, a change can be the best thing possible for them."

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...e/stone-banks-on-kaufusi-revival/1863295.aspx

I'm guessing that means the Cowboys pick up the tab (or most of) for this year and the next?

Serc

First Grade
Experienced international may prop up ailing Knights
BY ROBERT DILLON
21 Jun, 2010 12:00 AM

IN the 22 years since their inception, the Newcastle Knights have only twice signed former Australian international players from rival clubs.
In 1998, they recruited Steve Walters from North Queensland, but the champion hooker lasted just seven games before a knee injury forced him into retirement.
In 2007, six years after he last represented his country, they lured 31-year-old Adam MacDougall back to the fold after three seasons with South Sydney.
But apart from Walters and MacDougall, Newcastle have never signed an Australian player with Test experience, let alone an incumbent Kangaroo.
So news that the Knights are on the verge of adding North Queensland forward Antonio Kaufusi to their roster should, in normal circumstances, be hailed as something of a coup.
Kaufusi has not only worn the green and gold, he has represented Queensland, played in two grand finals for Melbourne and racked up more than 100 NRL games.
His resume suggests he is just what Newcastle need as they attempt to bolster a front-row rotation depleted by the much-publicised departures of Danny Wicks and Chris Houston and Evarn Tuimavave's season-ending injury.
But signing Kaufusi, a prospect that hinges on further negotiations between Newcastle and North Queensland, would nonetheless represent a significant gamble by Knights management.
At the age of 25, the Tongan-born prop should be in the prime of his career.
But his selection as reserve for North Queensland's feeder side, Mackay, at the weekend, gives some indication how far from favour he has fallen with the Cowboys.
Cowboys coach Neil Henry has apparently lost patience with Kaufusi, and statistics this season suggest that the 190-centimetre, 112-kilogram bookend is not providing enough hard yards around the rucks.
In 11 appearances, he has averaged 35.1 minutes of on-field action, yet he is producing only 6.5 hit-ups or 53.8 metres per game.
The Cowboys have seven forwards who are averaging more metres in attack than Kaufusi, which perhaps explains why he is on the outer.
But they say that one man's trash is another man's treasure, and the Knights are in no position to be fussy with the June 30 deadline for mid-season signings looming large.
To pick up a player of Kaufusi's experience at this late stage of proceedings would be a bonus.
He might also provide them with the defensive muscle they have been lacking all season.
So far this year, Kaufusi has made 188 tackles and missed only four.
His missed-tackle average of 0.4 per game is one of the best in the NRL and significantly better than the corresponding stats any Newcastle forward has produced.
Given that the Knights have conceded the majority of their 60 tries this year in the middle of the field, from inside their own 10-metre zone, Kaufusi's numbers indicate he may well strengthen their most vulnerable area. And if he can reproduce the form he showed in 2006, when he played in 25 games for Melbourne, was a starting prop in their grand final loss to Brisbane and made his lone Test appearance, maybe it is not too late for Newcastle's fortunes to take a turn for the better.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ional-may-prop-up-ailing-knights/1863297.aspx

I wonder if Dillon has been reading JM's posts? lol

Yosh

Coach
Must say with those stats he'd definitely fit right in with our forwards here I must say!

Johns Magic

Referee
Rick Stone said:
"I've spoken to a few people who know him pretty well, and they think maybe Townsville, maybe the heat thing, mightn't have been the best thing for him,"

:lol:!!!

Rick Stone said:
"But he looks like he's still in good shape and still got that speed and agility

FFS.

How about you stop checking him out with his shirt off, and actually watch him play a game of footy to judge how good he is.

It's Sione Finefuiaki all over again.

Rick Stone said:
that made him the player he was as far as carrying the footy's concerned."

What player was that Rick? The one that peaked at carrying the footy 76 metres a game in the best team in the comp?

Ben Cross looked five times as good as Kaufusi at the Storm.

Reynoldson looked at least twice as good.

Kaufusi's best season in terms of carrying the football was 2006, with 76 measly metres a game. You wanna read the average metres per game for the other props at the Storm in 2006? Here they are, in descending order:

1. Ben Cross - 111 metres per game
2. Ian Donnelly - 97.2 metres per game
3. Brett White - 90.8 metres per game
4. Garrett Crossman - 85.3 metres per game
5. Antonio Kaufusi - 76 metres per game

Keep in mind this was his best season, which "earned" him a Kangaroo jersey. Every year since has been even more incriminating for him.

That season is where his reputation and "the player he was" comes from. A great, great player he was by the looks of it.

It's unfathomable how Ian Donnelly and Garrett Crossman aren't wearing the green and gold to this day...

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Never rated Kaufusi as a player. True story - i met Kaufusi and Sam Thaiday just before they made their test debuts. It was through a friend who was a Manager at Gillette and from memory they were sponsoring the upcoming test series vs GB.

Thaiday was a great guy, Kaufusi was an asshole though. I wouldn't be suprised if he is hard to get along with and motivate.

Just on that, i'm suprised at how much i hate Sam Thaiday these days considering he really is a nice guy.

RABK

Referee
:lol:!!!

FFS.

How about you stop checking him out with his shirt off, and actually watch him play a game of footy to judge how good he is.

It's Sione Finefuiaki all over again.

What player was that Rick? The one that peaked at carrying the footy 76 metres a game in the best team in the comp?

Ben Cross looked five times as good as Kaufusi at the Storm.

Reynoldson looked at least twice as good.

Kaufusi's best season in terms of carrying the football was 2006, with 76 measly metres a game. You wanna read the average metres per game for the other props at the Storm in 2006? Here they are, in descending order:

1. Ben Cross - 111 metres per game
2. Ian Donnelly - 97.2 metres per game
3. Brett White - 90.8 metres per game
4. Garrett Crossman - 85.3 metres per game
5. Antonio Kaufusi - 76 metres per game

Keep in mind this was his best season, which "earned" him a Kangaroo jersey. Every year since has been even more incriminating for him.

That season is where his reputation and "the player he was" comes from. A great, great player he was by the looks of it.

It's unfathomable how Ian Donnelly and Garrett Crossman aren't wearing the green and gold to this day...

Look mate, i do agree and i also blow up at props who lack metres. A Ryles, Civo, Price 130m+ game always impresses me and i think most props should average 100m+ but defense is half the game.

So whats his defensive stats compared to the props you mentioned? I prefer and think we need a metre eater prop so no matter how good he is defensively i won't like us signing him but it'll just be interesting to see if his defense earnt him a Kangaroos jersey somehow.

Hadn't Evarn had a couple of 200m+ games in his career? Doubt we'll ever get him averaging half of that. Since Big Matty we haven't had a forward who averages big metres - Parso was a 130m+ prop every game. Bk would have been 110m+ Craig Smith was probably up there.

For some reason this club really accomodates some real bludgers in our pack.

Johns Magic

Referee
Look mate, i do agree and i also blow up at props who lack metres. A Ryles, Civo, Price 130m+ game always impresses me and i think most props should average 100m+ but defense is half the game.

So whats his defensive stats compared to the props you mentioned? I prefer and think we need a metre eater prop so no matter how good he is defensively i won't like us signing him but it'll just be interesting to see if his defense earnt him a Kangaroos jersey somehow.

This signing is obviously driven by the go forward he would provide in attack and Stone practically said as much which is why I focussed on metres not tackles. And if we're signing a prop for his defense rather than his attack then the coaching staff have rocks in their head.

But alas, here are his defensive stats from his breakout year, 2006, compared to the other Storm props:

1. Ben Cross - 22.7(average tackles made)/1.7(average tackles missed)
2. Brett White - 20.8/1.6
3. Antonio Kaufusi - 20.6/1.5
4. Garrett Crossman - 19.9/0.9
5. Ian Donnelly - 17.1/0.9

Again, these stats do him no favours, but I don't think they are why he is being recruited, and if they are then they definitely shouldn't be.

Not a fan of this here for an additional 2 years unless its on minimal money, surely we could just give him a deal for this year and another year + 1 more in the clubs favour?

Serc

First Grade
If he plays half decently, you'd expect him to be another defending prop, not an attacking one (if you could use such a term).

Which is a shame as we need metres!

Craig Smith was great for us in 05...made more metres per game than anyone else on our team. Senational buy for that short period.

Adsy

Juniors
The three Penrith forwards - Grant, Bell & McKendry all look like good metre eating props.

Wouldn't mind signing one of them.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Kaufusi has always looked better as an impact prop rather than a workhorse. There aren't many Polynesian forwards who are workhorses, they just haven't got the motor for it. I mean I'd much rather have Antonio Kaufusi on the bench than Cam Ciraldo or Wes Naiqama

otori

Juniors
I think Kaufusi has always looked better as an impact prop rather than a workhorse. There aren't many Polynesian forwards who are workhorses, they just haven't got the motor for it. I mean I'd much rather have Antonio Kaufusi on the bench than Cam Ciraldo or Wes Naiqama

If we're signing has been Storm props, I would rather have gone after Crossman. He'd probably come across from Souths just as easily and he seems like less of a douche.

antonius

Coach
If we sign this bloke it'll be another typical dud signing that we are becoming so used to. all the money we have, is this the best we can do?

Burwood

Bench
This signing is obviously driven by the go forward he would provide in attack and Stone practically said as much which is why I focussed on metres not tackles. And if we're signing a prop for his defense rather than his attack then the coaching staff have rocks in their head.

But alas, here are his defensive stats from his breakout year, 2006, compared to the other Storm props:

1. Ben Cross - 22.7(average tackles made)/1.7(average tackles missed)
2. Brett White - 20.8/1.6
3. Antonio Kaufusi - 20.6/1.5
4. Garrett Crossman - 19.9/0.9
5. Ian Donnelly - 17.1/0.9

Again, these stats do him no favours, but I don't think they are why he is being recruited, and if they are then they definitely shouldn't be.

His stats for this year have been much better than 2006- he is averaging about 0.4 missed tackles per game. Considering we pretty much have the worst defensive record in the NRL, and the majority of our tries are leaked through the middle, why shouldn't we be trying to sign a player that can tackle over one that can make 100+ metres?

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
His stats for this year have been much better than 2006- he is averaging about 0.4 missed tackles per game.

Making 17 tackles a game and barely running the ball, you'd hope he didn't miss many tackles. He's a shirker when it comes to doing actual work, it's clear as day every time you watch him play.

It's not like he's some defensive dynamo making a million tackles around the ruck. In fact his defensive workload is quite poor for a prop.

And considering he hasn't played many games in the NRL this year(for a reason), I'll take the stats from a handful of games with a grain of salt.

In fact last year he averaged double that amount of missed tackles(0.8), and made even fewer tackles per game(15.4). In comparison, Taufua made 22.3 tackles per game and and 0.9 missed tackles per game...while making more metres.

What a lazy SOB.

Considering we pretty much have the worst defensive record in the NRL, and the majority of our tries are leaked through the middle, why shouldn't we be trying to sign a player that can tackle over one that can make 100+ metres?

Yeah signing a prop who does less tackling than any of our other props, that'll fix our ruck defense.

His mammoth metres is just a bonus...oh wait.