What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights ride to the rescue of Kaufusi

cram

Bench
Knights close in on Kaufusi deal

23 Jun, 2010 12:00 AM
THE Knights hope to complete the mid-season transfer of Cowboys prop Antonio Kaufusi by the end of the week, but his first appearance in Newcastle colours could be almost three weeks away.
The 25-year-old former Queensland and Australian representative has a year to run on his contract with the Cowboys, but the Knights have tabled an offer for the rest of this season and a further two years.
It is understood Kaufusi's manager, David Riolo, will speak to North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr today to determine whether the Cowboys would consider releasing him from his contractual obligations in Townsville to join the Knights.
Knights coach Rick Stone said he should know by today or tomorrow whether the former Melbourne Storm enforcer will bolster the Newcastle pack for the next 2? years.
Even if Kaufusi becomes a Knight in the next 48 hours, Stone did not believe he would be available to play against Gold Coast at Skilled Park on Sunday.
The Knights have a bye after they play the Titans so a more realistic Newcastle debut date would be against the Sharks at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday, July 11.
"I think it would be doubtful for this week, but anything's possible I suppose," Stone said.
"We'll probably know by the end of the week whether he's going to be coming to our club or not.
"The chances of him playing this week are highly unlikely I'd say at this stage, but if he did come, the first game after the bye would probably be the one."
Heartened by the resolve his team showed to pip Parramatta 6-4 in a frightful game at EAS on Monday night, Stone received a double dose of good news yesterday when hooker Isaac De Gois was cleared of a serious hand injury and back-rower Cory Paterson was found to have no case to answer for a high tackle on Justin Horo in the 49th minute of that match.
De Gois has a small fracture in his right hand but he could play against the Titans with the aid of a painkilling injection, then have a fortnight to rest before they play the Sharks.
"I don't need surgery so I'll rest it and see the doctor again on Thursday, talk to Stoney, and if it feels good then I'll play. If not, I'll give it a miss and play the week after the bye," De Gois said.
Jarrod Mullen strained a thoracic muscle in his back but said he would play on Sunday.
Stone named the same 18-man squad he announced last week but will settle on his starting 13 and four reserves closer to kick-off.
Titans skipper Scott Prince will miss the game after tearing his right hamstring in Gold Coast's 25-24 victory over the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium last Friday.
Preston Campbell, who missed the Bulldogs game with a bruised heel, was named to replace Prince at halfback.
Prop Luke Bailey (ankle) and Queensland lock Ashley Harrison, who suffered a cut eye in Origin II last Wednesday, sat out the Bulldogs match but have been selected to play against the Knights on Sunday.
"The Titans are a pretty consistent footy side and are playing well at home," Stone said.
"This week with the short turn-around and a bit of travel, it's about recovery for us in the first couple of days."
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...e-in-on-kaufusi-deal/1865555.aspx?storypage=0

antonius

Coach
So we are basically offering him two and a half years??? They've seriously lost the plot, he'll be another Reynoldson.

aqua_duck

Coach
So we are basically offering him two and a half years??? They've seriously lost the plot, he'll be another Reynoldson.
depends what they pay him. If the cowboys are cropping up his salary its a decent deal for us. Reynoldsen wasn't a terrible player he just wasn't worth the 200k we were paying him

Serc

First Grade
Hmmm I wondered why I didn't see that article this morning - its because some noob posted it in the union section!

Anyway, I would like to think we have offered him very little $$$, because he IS playing for the Cutters at the moment after all...

antonius

Coach
depends what they pay him. If the cowboys are cropping up his salary its a decent deal for us. Reynoldsen wasn't a terrible player he just wasn't worth the 200k we were paying him
We are asking them to release him, I don't think they will be propping up his payments. The whole thing reminds me of the reynoldson contract, where we missed all the decent signings so we got him as a last ditch effort. Same appears to be happening here. I say wait till seasons end, He isn't going to make that much difference to us anyway. Give some of our junior guys a run, who knows we might actually find a star there somewhere. :sarcasm:

Johns Magic

Referee
A Tongan born Polynesian hasn't adapted to the heat??? NQ in Winter (which is when footy is played) is the closest thing to perfect weather you can get.

Im a Cairns local orginally and we consider Townsville to be barely the tropics and a "cold" in Winter.

Must admit after years of living in London and now Melbourne I find both places bloody hot in Summer though.

But what else could it be if not the heat in North Queensland that has made him play so bad up there? I mean how else would you explain someone recruited as a marquee signing going so badly up there that he got dropped not only to the reserve grade side, but to the reserve grade bench?

The heat in Townsville must have been the reason he could only manage a pathetic 71.5 metres and 15.4 tackles a game last season. He must just need a move back down south.

It pales in comparison to his form at the Storm the year before of 72 metres and 14.1 tackles a game. Oh wait...

Must've been pretty hot down in Melbourne that year as well.

Must've been only slightly cooler in Melbourne in 2006 when he got an Australian jersey for averaging 76 metres and 20.6 tackles a game. Is that the form you want him to get back to Rick? Don't worry Rick, you've checked out his "impressive physique" and that's enough for you to be convinced apparently. Comforting from your club's first-grade coach.

Maybe if they start an NRL team in Antarctica he can eventually crack 80 metres one day.

His form at the Cowboys has barely been any different to his form at Melbourne when he got picked for Australia. Neil Henry and Peter Parr just got to realise first-hand what a joke it was that he ever played for Australia and what a dud he actually is. "But it says he got picked for the Kangaroos on his resume???".

Unfortunately, unlike Henry, Stone hasn't figured out yet that Kaufusi's resume should in fact be used to wipe your arse with.

88.Knights

Juniors
We are asking them to release him, I don't think they will be propping up his payments. The whole thing reminds me of the reynoldson contract, where we missed all the decent signings so we got him as a last ditch effort. Same appears to be happening here. I say wait till seasons end, He isn't going to make that much difference to us anyway. Give some of our junior guys a run, who knows we might actually find a star there somewhere. :sarcasm:

Totally Agree, i'll be pissed if he gets picked over edwards. Knights winners of the biggest sh*thouse signing of the year +next 2 with this bludger

roopy

Referee
Kaufusi went from the most modern, scientific, evidence based training in the comp at Melbourne, to the most old fashioned flog them up and down sandhills style training at North Qld.
The North Qld style suits some players - but obviously not this guy.

I'd like to see how he goes for a month before i make up my mind.

Kaufusi went from the most modern, scientific, evidence based training in the comp at Melbourne, to the most old fashioned flog them up and down sandhills style training at North Qld.
The North Qld style suits some players - but obviously not this guy.

I'd like to see how he goes for a month before i make up my mind.
Yep it's called cap rorting.Bellamy can't cut it at rep level. He is a good coach but certainly not the genius he is repeatedly called.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Regardless of the cap rorting I think they have a stellar record of developing teenagers into reasonable firstgraders. Its just what happens after they become those 'reasonable firstgraders' (or better) that was the problem ;-)

Johns Magic

Referee
Yep it's called cap rorting.Bellamy can't cut it at rep level. He is a good coach but certainly not the genius he is repeatedly called.

Didn't I read a completely outlandish post from you about Bellamy being better than Jack Gibson or something recently?

Ah yes:

I believe Bellamy will go down as one of if not the greatest coach in the game's history. Hardly a stretch I know. Jack Gibson purists will blow up about this and are more than entitled to. However the bloke has made four successive grand finals despite incredible player roster turnovers. His gift seems to be his ability to pick players who are good at a particular role. Tolman is simply superb. His ability is no accident. He will not come cheap but I do not believe he will leave Melbourne just yet. If I was him I wouldn't anyway. Folau made that mistake and his career has stalled IMO. Tolman is 21 and four years from now he can name his price anyway.

That was in April.

I don't see what cap rorting has to do with Melbournes approach to training

Strange stuff NIGK

Bellamy has applied his scientific approach with great success at origin level as history has shown us. He in no way needs players like Inglis, Slater, Cronk or Smith to enhance his training methods. Yes the cap rort is pure coincidence when it comes to their success. We'll just agree to disagree on that one.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Coaches have minimal "training" effect on rep sides. There isn't much they can do in a week and a bit. Motivation is the key (closely followed by actually picking a decent and balanced side).

Tommy for Blues coach.

on topic - there is no way on earth we are picking up the whole tab. Not even we would do that. The Cows would no doubt be happy to cut their losses - if they arent getting anything out of him anyway it is better to pay half his salary than all of it.

If he has a point to prove and gets on the angry pills it could be a decent move.

Have to agree comments about "physique" give me images of this guy coaching us....

herbert-picture.jpg