What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The whole "locals only" rubbish is just that. They've got their heads planted firmly in the sand because it worked for us 20 years ago. Problem being, things have changed since then and the successful clubs in the competition are the ones that go and buy players.

In an ideal world we'd have our top 25 all Newcastle juniors, but that's not going to happen. Performances are dwindling, crowds are dwindling, but we need to sit tight and ride this one out. Please, spare me.

I guarantee the fans will come flooding back when the performances improve and it'll have absolutely nothing to do with where the players are from...

Loose Cannon

Bench
Yep, I like the idea of tweeting Brett Keeble and Robert Dillon etc with a link to this thread. It would help them understand a lot better why this started and what we want from the campaign. I also think they believe we mainly want immediate results when in reality, we just want to have some hope with a team that has a proper dig each week as well as some accountability off and on the field.

Yep. This is how it seems to be reported in the mainstream. I don't think they have separated the Rebuild agenda, which has honourable intentions, from the crackpot agenda of other groups.

Your last sentence there says it all.

I don't care if we lose every game for the rest of the year as long as the people at every level of the organisation are held accountable for their performances. If that means we need to call them on things, we will. Did Stone not claim there would be changes after the embarrassing performance Anzac weekend? Looks like the same team week in, week out to me.

Players are safe, captain is safe, coach is safe, management are safe, wooden spoon is safe (Parramatta pending).

I think the approach by us is a really positive step. It shows the wider public that the passion for the club Is strong among a select group like us but the difference is we speak up when we are not happy about the club's direction. It is not like this has been a few years of pain. It has been a decade and a bit.

Burns

First Grade

Alex28

Coach
The whole "locals only" rubbish is just that. They've got their heads planted firmly in the sand because it worked for us 20 years ago. Problem being, things have changed since then and the successful clubs in the competition are the ones that go and buy players.

In an ideal world we'd have our top 25 all Newcastle juniors, but that's not going to happen. Performances are dwindling, crowds are dwindling, but we need to sit tight and ride this one out. Please, spare me.

I guarantee the fans will come flooding back when the performances improve and it'll have absolutely nothing to do with where the players are from...

You know what? It didn't even work for us back in the day. Take a look at the team of the first 20 years - I reckon I count 8 out of 17 being actual locals. We have ALWAYS had to get players in from elsewhere - whether that be juniors brought in from out of the Hunter (Buderus, Tahu), up-and-comers made good (Macdougall, Sargeant, Butterfield, Glanville, O'Davis, Hagan) or outright superstars (Kennedy).

It has been that way since 1988. It will always have to be that way.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I feel an Us vs Them social media war might well ignite the commercial interest we so desperately need. This club is seen as having no passion and that the fans are simply passive idiots. They are almost correct. The thing is fellas we have got their attention. Controversy sells. It is a fact of life. I suggest we refer to ourselves as the REAL fans who feel this club has sold itself out on an ideology that is long dead in commercial terms. Business is about expansion and not regression. Newcastle simply cannot move out of the view of itself as inferior to Sydney. We are because we choose it to be that way.

This is a start. We need to rock the boat a bit like ANONYMOUS do. Make your presence felt and most importantly put it up! We put forth irrefutable fact and why we are not rolling over like conditioned dogs. Facts like 8/9 losses in professional sport is not acceptable at an elite level. That accountability is not empty dribble on a radio station. This will gain traction if we all agree to keep it relevant.

This is what i love most about movements like this. They actually give the club a bit of culture. i reckon you lot should try to build a faction instead of just a "flash in the pan" campaign....

And maybe pick a catchier name with a meaning that will last ("the REAL knights fan" is funny/"The golds" a reference to the Henny Penny jersey and what the club has lost/"the front row" 'cause it started here)

The thing id really love to see brought back is a democratic members vote. Not to elect the board, but instead to elect the Chairman from the 7 that are already sitting. That way fans direct any frustration back into the club in a positive way.

If anyone else kept track of the Labor leadership ballot between Shorten and Albanese, THAT is exactly what i think we need. The debate is fair and no one gets personal, but the fans at least get to think they are choosing the direction of the club....

(plus, if you institutionalise conflict in this way, you get to chose where the conflict happens. If the candidates chose to debate something, THAT is what we focus on and we forget all the rest)

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
We're not so naive as to expect a premiership this year (or in the next few years), for us it's about wanting to see a club that has the ambition to be more than just mid table at best, a club that has a proper strategy in place to follow through with that ambition and a club where mediocrity is just seen as the status quo.
I've been following the knights for close to 20 years now and this is just about the lowest point I think I've experienced in the 20 years. Sure we've had some really bad season like winning the spoon in 2005 and coming within a whisker of doing the same in 2007, however in 2005 we had a legitimate excuse with Joey being hurt for much of the season. In 2007 even though it was the season from hell, there were mitigating circumstances, Joey retired 2 games into the season, and we had a nightmare injury toll, however I held out hope because I saw Brian smith actively trying to change the culture of complacency within the club, we were actually trying to rebuild.
This time around there seems to be nothing resembling a proper rebuild, the club can't decide if it wants to rebuild or just try to maintain the mediocrity. We've lost our only rep player in Beau Scott, lost a destructive (if inconsistent) strike weapon in Joey Leilua as well as Kurt Gidley and we've replaced all that talent with a 29 year old journeyman from ESL and re-signed Jeremy smith who will be 36 next year.
It really disgusted me to read what John Quayle had to say this week, I feel the club takes it's legion of loyal fans for granted and expect us to keep financing their mediocrity and lack of accountability, this locals only rubbish that he sprouted is so backwards it's unconceivable to think the club would be so naive that it thinks the way we will be competitive again is if we somehow win a genetic lottery and hope a great generation of footballers will miraculously all emerge from the Hunter.
The fact is our junior development over the past decade has been probably amongst the worst in the NRL, Kurt Gidley who debuted 14 years ago remains the last legitimate rep player this club has produced. The locals only formula is 25 years out of date, I'm sure there are some delusional fans who think this is a realistic winning formula but for the club to use those people's vision as the formula for success is mind blowing.
What the club need to realise is, even though right now there are enough fans who help sustain the club through memberships and other expenditure, if they continue to take the fans for granted and expect us to just be satisfied with mediocrity and keep funding it then they're making a serious mistake.
Just going by what's been said on social media, there are some life long fans who are so fed up with the clubs lack of ambition they're considering not renewing their memberships and becoming partial spectators for the first time in their lives. The attendances have dropped in recent years and if the club keeps maintaining it's current course then it will keep dropping .

Nuffy

Bench
Okay, are we all comfortable with the way this is progressing and is there any suggestions or changes you'd like to advocate. Are there any specific points you'd like made via Facebook or Twitter?

Also below is a link to an article written by Barry Toohey about Leulia leaving, its been covered in another thread.

Here is an interesting part I've highlighted.

Stone could not be contacted yesterday and Knights CEO Matt Gidley did not want to comment ahead of a strategic planning day involving the club’s board of directors on Friday.

“We’ll be discussing all our recruitment and retention plans among a raft of other things with the board [on Friday],” Gidley said.

“I’d rather not comment on individuals until after our meetings.”

Colour me cynical but we've been banging on about strategic planning, R&R and board accountability and lo and behold Mids lets slip in a article that Friday is a strategic planning day with the board and R&R will be discussed.

Mids, for those of us that have been in corporate world for quite some time, that's PR101.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-exciting-centre/story-fni3gf5j-1227393679684

Jobdog

Live Update Team
When the going gets tough

By Tony Butterfield

ALL right. I need everyone to come in tight. We need to talk. Not too tight - there's a few of us. Players make room for the coaches; management make room for the members; fans make room for corporates. Right. Everyone in?

Here's the problem - 13 rounds, only five wins. Not good. Not good for the team, not good for the town. Not good enough. It's time, time to turn this season around.

But it's gonna take all of us. Together.

Now, I don't want to dwell on it, but some are saying we have given up. Not good. That's not us. Defensive lapses on the field. Empty seats at the ground. Deafening silences from the bleachers. Corporate function rooms well below capacity.

True it is that we've had some lean times. True it is that ownership and financial problems have plagued us. True it is that player potential has been slow to shine. But, no excuses - we should not give up. Only we can fix this.

So, players: the game goes for 80 minutes. Give your all for every minute (and please, now and then, Joey, will you pass the ball to McManus). You all know your business, so work together. Know your job and go out and do it well. From this point forward we need a three per cent improvement in everything you do. On and off the field.

Coaches: I only have questions. Where are the cunning plans? Where's the cohesion? Where is the energy around this place? It was there early on. Are the messages not getting through? If not, why not? The team's not working like a whole. You have our faith. Fix it!

Management: There are many areas that require your attention. But, for starters, match day needs to be bigger. More razzle-dazzle. If people are complaining about this and that, this and that may well need fixing. We want bums on seats, people. It's your job to make that happen.

Members: Far too many empty seats. No point waiting the whole off-season for the footy to start and then, when it's on, you stay home. If management can do their bit, the time is now. It's never the same unless you're there at the game.

See your ad here
Fans: Louder, louder and louder. Carry the team in hard times. Tell the whistleblowers when the other mob are offside. Call the tries before the video refs deny them. Urge the team on through the tough times. Frighten the visitors. Let them know they're a long way from home and they're not bloody well welcome here (I'm only half kidding).

Corporates: Dig deep. We need you. The game's professional. Money talks. Offer sponsorship dollars. Fund game-day functions. Lucre isn't everything in this town, but it is necessary to run a successful footy club. And next time you're in the Newcastle Club, ask around. Make sure others are pulling their weight. Good footy is good for business.

A Knights fan looks disappointed after another loss during the round 13 NRL match between the Newcastle Knights and Canberra Raiders at Hunter Stadium on June 6. (Photo by Tony Feder/Getty Images)
A Knights fan looks disappointed after another loss during the round 13 NRL match between the Newcastle Knights and Canberra Raiders at Hunter Stadium on June 6. (Photo by Tony Feder/Getty Images)
We're only halfway there, people. We have a lot of work to do. The bye gives us a chance to ask what each one of us can do better. Ask that question, answer it, then do.

Now, as you were. But together.

CAN I just ask the coaches and players to stick around for a moment? I have two bob's worth. Thanks.

Gentlemen, an interesting anomaly from looking at statistics this week. Excluding the first loss to the Dragons, the next seven defeats featured morale-crushing tries within the five-minute periods before and after half-time. The championship period!

Josh Papalii's 39th-minute try last week took a lot of wind out of the sail. Likewise, Solomone Kata's knife for New Zealand the week before in the 43rd minute.

Before that Jack Reed scored a double for the Broncos in the 39th and 41st minutes in a demoralising loss at home.

Ligi Sao for Manly scored at the 37th; Cowboy Justin O'Neill's double emulated Reed's on the 35th- and 42nd-minute marks; and, for Parramatta, John Folau had a similar score in the 35th minute.

Tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but there is a worrying trend developing, gentlemen, that requires a plan of action. Mental toughness is the primary tool each of us must rely on to deal with the ebb and flow of fortunes during games. Tries just before or after half-time nonetheless are demoralising and hurt confidence. Get over it!

Defensive lapses through this 10-minute period are killing us.

Now that problem's identified, fix it.
LINK

Possibly one of the best articles I've read in a long time. Wonder if anyone from the club will take the time to read it?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Butts isn't afraid to speak his mind. He managed to put a positive spin on it (and well done there), but you can tell the guy is deeply concerned.

Swarzey

Bench
Seems we're still keeping an eye on Brennan.

Knights eye Panther coach

Trent Barrett might not be the only Panthers assistant coach leaving the foot of the mountains. The Knights are understood to be keeping one eye on NSW Cup coach Garth Brennan, who has the Panthers on top of the ladder at the midway point of the season. Brennan pulled out of the race for the Knights job to replace Wayne Bennett when it looked like Rick Stone would get the nod. Pressure is mounting on Stone after Newcastle slumped to their ninth loss in their past 10 games.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-agree-to-early-release-20150611-ghloh0.html

Hopefully it isn't a media fluff piece and that regardless of what Quayle, Matt Gidley and anyone else on the board says there's real pressure on Stone to pressure the players and make the needed changes.

Looks like the media are going to up the heat on the issues clearly hampering our club. Nathan Brown or Brennan might be at the helm soon if any of this is true.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Roosters are releasing Sam moa too. Exactly the kind of player we need, which means we're no chance of even offering him a contract

Roosters are releasing Sam moa too. Exactly the kind of player we need, which means we're no chance of even offering him a contract

maybe if we can find someone within sam moa's ancestory who lived in newcastle he might then fit in to our locals only recruiting policy. If we can't, then I'm afraid he won't be coming here.

perverse

Referee
Brennan is the one we should have looked seriously at in the first place. Noted disciplinarian. We need that.

Latest posts