What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Knights head of football Michael Hagan says Stone has been challenging his players on a weekly basis but claimed individual lapses, particularly in defence, were behind the inconsistencies rather than any lack of desire.

“Joey (Johns) is entitled to his opinion but I’m not sure he is close enough to the team to know what is going on at the club,” Hagan said.

“He might be better off just worrying about what is happening at Manly (where he is employed).”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/knights-slam-speculation-about-future-of-coach-rick-stone-as-nonsense/story-fni3gf5j-1227378638072

Good god, that will do me.

Central Coast merger will turn us into a powerhouse in time. The talent pool will be huge and most will be juniors in first grade. Catching the train to Gosford is not that hard. Easy access to ground for half the home games. It would work. Natural evolution.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Meh fair comments from Hagan, bit of a jab at Joey for working at a different club. Still he should be kinder to the man who gave him a coaching career. Joey might get shunned at the next boys club meeting :sarcasm:

Yosh

Coach
That is the entire problem in a nutshell. Other clubs can get talent from outside because of 3rd party deals. Of which we must have very little to none and rely almost totally on the cap. There can be no other explanation for it.

Just look at other clubs like the Roosters, Broncos, Bulldogs etc etc who are always linked to blue chip players coming off contract, and indeed usually get them. Just look at their lineups.

Everything in the world comes down to money- always has and always will.

I don't believe for a moment that Newcastle isnt a desirable location.

To be honest, I don't that's the core issue. We lost 7 in 8 and we have players smiling and enjoying some good banter right after the game. I'm no pro but I have played in many amateur teams for football, rugby, basketball etc and I'm still filthy after a loss. I think there's something deeply wrong with the culture at the club at the moment.

mozza91

Coach
No way will we merge with the Central Coast. I don't think the clubs existence is in any danger regardless of our shitty performances. There will always be a team in Newcastle.

Jono078

Referee
Anyone watch the Darius Boyd story that was on abc?

There was an interesting moment at about the 16 minute mark where his wife said they'd just lose a game and Darius would go into his shell and stare at the ground and the TV and just couldn't understand how people were happy. Feel like it just confirmed how crap the culture is here.

Swarzey

Bench
Considering when you're depressed EVERYTHING is magnified, him thinking how anyone could be happy after a loss doesn't say much of a crap culture at all. Of course the loss and the idea of failure is going to hit him much, much harder than anyone else.

Johns Magic

Referee
Considering when you're depressed EVERYTHING is magnified, him thinking how anyone could be happy after a loss doesn't say much of a crap culture at all. Of course the loss and the idea of failure is going to hit him much, much harder than anyone else.

I haven't watched the doco so am assuming given the context that the excerpt Jono was referring to is his time at Newcastle.

He had been at two very successful clubs before coming here. If the reaction to a loss here is in stark contrast to the reaction to a loss at those clubs and that is what perplexed him, then yes it does say a lot about a crap culture.

I didn't post in the other thread but I absolutely agree with those who are not happy seeing players hoon around the minute after a loss. It is very foreign to me.

If you give a f**k you do not act like that. Do you think Tariq would do what he did after an Origin loss or a finals loss? No he wouldn't, because he would obviously give a shit about having lost.

Doing what he did screams "I don't really care, it's just a Knights game" to me.

I don't mean to single him out. It's the fact there's a bunch of them guilty that makes me write this post.

I miss the days when Joey would be distraught after a loss or making a mistake, or even lay into another player for not pulling their weight. I don't think you reach that level without caring that much(not necessarily ripping into teammates I guess).

slotmachine

First Grade
Still he should be kinder to the man who gave him a coaching career.

Aha, you took the words out of my mouth.
Everything is fine though Hages, We look great on the park and your recruitment has been top notch.

We don't get a say anymore about a merger. If Dave Smith thinks it's a good idea it will happen.

No way will we merge with the Central Coast. I don't think the clubs existence is in any danger regardless of our shitty performances. There will always be a team in Newcastle.

Why don't you think our existence is in danger?

Where do you see the extra 10s of millions of dollars coming from just to keep the club at a profit? If Tinkler didn't bail out the $6m we owed God knows where we would be now. You would be mad to think the NRL will continue to throw money at us without making significant changes, and our almost 30 year history shows that it is near impossible for us to run a profit even with success and 20k averages.

A central coast merger doesn't mean that there won't be a team in newcastle, it means we tap into their juniors, their businesses, more third party deals, better stadium deals taking games to the CC. The Knights would still be based in Newcastle in my arrangement.

In your imaginary world things might be all rosy, but realistically this club is up shit creek financially.

Noname36

First Grade

Are you kidding me? That's the best thing I've ever heard Hagan say. At least he had the balls to point out Joey's (voluntary) absence from the club from the moment he retired.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're further running the club into the ground (if that's possible considering how far it's already been run into the ground), but Joey doesn't really have a right to sit there and take shots on behalf of the club when we all know how absent he's been. If he still had a connection to the club his comments would hold a lot more weight.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
Why don't you think our existence is in danger?

Where do you see the extra 10s of millions of dollars coming from just to keep the club at a profit? If Tinkler didn't bail out the $6m we owed God knows where we would be now. You would be mad to think the NRL will continue to throw money at us without making significant changes, and our almost 30 year history shows that it is near impossible for us to run a profit even with success and 20k averages.

A central coast merger doesn't mean that there won't be a team in newcastle, it means we tap into their juniors, their businesses, more third party deals, better stadium deals taking games to the CC. The Knights would still be based in Newcastle in my arrangement.

In your imaginary world things might be all rosy, but realistically this club is up shit creek financially.

Every club is in debt par a few and when was the last time a club folded or relocated? There are several teams in a worse position financially than us. Has it been mentioned outside of this forum that a merger is on the cards?
I don't live in an imaginary world but I'm not gonna be negative for the sake of it like you are. My life's not that sad.

aqua_duck

Coach
Are you kidding me? That's the best thing I've ever heard Hagan say. At least he had the balls to point out Joey's (voluntary) absence from the club from the moment he retired.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're further running the club into the ground (if that's possible considering how far it's already been run into the ground), but Joey doesn't really have a right to sit there and take shots on behalf of the club when we all know how absent he's been. If he still had a connection to the club his comments would hold a lot more weight.

Joey was still coaching the halves for quite a few years after he retired and deadset owes this club nothing at all. Manly coaching aside, Joey is seen as an expert of the game by most and is paid as such. If I were Hagan I'd have used Joey's comments as fuel for the boys to prove Joey wrong but typical of the lack of accountability in the joint he's chosen to get all defensive and chuck a hissy fit

voltron

Juniors
You should listen the Triple M podcast from the Sunday show. Hour 3
Paul Kent is talking about this stuff, about why Wayne Bennett left and stuff
man we really are a basket case.

I really want a rebuilding of our club like the panthers.
Moving on people who seem to be "Newcastle", so much that pretty much the entire roster has been changed around.
I'm tired of this lack of attitude

Johns Magic

Referee
You should listen the Triple M podcast from the Sunday show. Hour 3
Paul Kent is talking about this stuff, about why Wayne Bennett left and stuff
man we really are a basket case.

Can you please elaborate a bit and save the rest of us from having to track that down. Why did Bennett leave? What other stuff?

voltron

Juniors
Just that people are just happy to be playing first grade.
nothing more.
theyre all super comfortable.
something along those lines

Every club is in debt par a few and when was the last time a club folded or relocated? There are several teams in a worse position financially than us. Has it been mentioned outside of this forum that a merger is on the cards?
I don't live in an imaginary world but I'm not gonna be negative for the sake of it like you are. My life's not that sad.

You do know that when Tinkler came we were $6m in debt right? And you do know that debt was increasing?
How do you propose a club to continue to run losing money?

The Knights are one of the most debt ridden poorly run clubs in the NRL. We were bee's dick away from collapse before Tinkler.

Yeah there are other clubs that run at a loss but we are significantly worse off.

Mergers with the central coast have been talked about over the years by various sources.

This isn't being negative, this is realistic about our dire financial situation. Things have never been as bad as they are now. I can only imagine how much merchandise sales have decreased as well as gate takings this season. We will be more in debt than before Tinkler came within 2-3 years

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
You do know that when Tinkler came we were $6m in debt right? And you do know that debt was increasing?
How do you propose a club to continue to run losing money?

The Knights are one of the most debt ridden poorly run clubs in the NRL. We were bee's dick away from collapse before Tinkler.

Yeah there are other clubs that run at a loss but we are significantly worse off.

Mergers with the central coast have been talked about over the years by various sources.

This isn't being negative, this is realistic about our dire financial situation. Things have never been as bad as they are now. I can only imagine how much merchandise sales have decreased as well as gate takings this season. We will be more in debt than before Tinkler came within 2-3 years

For some reason this point is lost on many on here. Tinkler might not have been the fairy tale that we all wanted, but he was very charitable towards this club and that is something that I will always be grateful for.

Latest posts