What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

the phantom menace

First Grade
Well for some of us the only thing they'd notice is big plays. I get the sense that over-reliance on stats makes someone's "game eye" for what individual contributions they actually might notice become quite lazy...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well for some of us the only thing they'd notice is big plays. I get the sense that over-reliance on stats makes someone's "game eye" for what individual contributions they actually might notice become quite lazy...
Not at all. I watch the game for entertainment, just like you. I look at the stats during and afterwards to see what I missed.

JokerEel

First Grade
It's the only way to know how hard some merkin worked over the 80 minutes. While watching the game the only thing we notice are the big plays. It's not a reliable representation of the game as a whole, especially individual contributions.

No if you really watch a player you can see how hard they work.

Stats don't show the overall player.

hindy111

Post Whore

Stats don't show clutch plays or big moments. Someone may chalk up 5 x TAs against a side that gives up cause they are being flogged. It isn't worth the same as one in a big game at a crucial time with scores close. Moses try the other nights a great example. Scores or not we had the game one just by holding the ball for 5 tackles. Cowboys knew it amd had their heads down.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No if you really watch a player you can see how hard they work.
Why would you ‘really watch’ an individual player? You’ll miss the rest of the game ffs. They’re not your kid.
Stats don't show the overall player.
Nobody ever said they did. And afterwards stats are often the only evidence we have to support a position. Do you think the coaches care about stats?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Personally I'd watch a replay to see what I missed...
If you didn’t see it the first time why would you see it the second time? Are you really going to be able to tell the difference between some merkin making 20 tackles in 30 minutes one week and 25 tackles in 50 minutes another week? It’s a rhetorical question, because you’ve already shown you don’t notice things like that. Probably nobody does, which is why coaches (and footy nerds) track statistics during games.