What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Capewell

Would Niukore have to put on 5-10kg to move to the front row? He looks a bit light for that position. Tho I wonder if this is kind of a Reuben Wiki reincarnate situation (similarly went to the front row at the Warriors and did well).
The way RL is played today, having a slender but tough prop forward is the key to counter the faster game. This is also why Webby persists with Ford. He's the new type of forward that fits well with this era. Marata should do very well.

Benek

Juniors
I like the Capewell signing. Better replacement for Curran.

Now if we could sign a solid prop to keep us moving forward when AFB is off the field, I'd be stoked.

RTS, CHT, and Capewell isn't a bad list of guys to be coming in for 2024. I'm quietly optimistic we can continue the momentum from last year if we're lucky with injuries.

I like the Capewell signing. Better replacement for Curran.

Now if we could sign a solid prop to keep us moving forward when AFB is off the field, I'd be stoked.

RTS, CHT, and Capewell isn't a bad list of guys to be coming in for 2024. I'm quietly optimistic we can continue the momentum from last year if we're lucky with injuries.
Yea agree... definitely need a prop or two, but other signings have been encouraging.

Anyone got an idea on which side RTS will play on? I'm assuming they'll want to make the transition as uncomplicated as possible and if so, right side would probably feel more natural to him. Tough on Berry though.

Izz

Bench
Anyone got an idea on which side RTS will play on? I'm assuming they'll want to make the transition as uncomplicated as possible and if so, right side would probably feel more natural to him. Tough on Berry though.
How our first choice centres will line up next year is a really interesting question, imo. Club's just extended Berry until 2026, and he looked better and better every game he played this year. RTS coming in. Untested at centre but will definitely be class wherever he plays. Ali Leiataua is going to be a beast. Towards the end of season in NSW Cup he looked like a man playing against boys a lot of the time (while running with the ball in one hand ala Uncle Ali). And then there's Pompey. Limited offensively, though shows glimpses of brilliance from time to time (along with some rocks). Very good defensively. Trains hard. And can kick goals. And Andrew Johns rates him.

For me, I'd like to see RTS & Berry start the season in FG, with Leiataua pushing for a permanent spot midseason (or sooner if RTS struggles), and Pompey being reliable depth.

For me, I'd like to see RTS & Berry start the season in FG, with Leiataua pushing for a permanent spot midseason (or sooner if RTS struggles), and Pompey being reliable depth.
Yea I'd be happy with the season starting that way too.

Really hope RTS has a good year and the team does well for him... dude is one of the real pros in both codes and he carried so much shyte on his shoulders during the covid seasons. Deserves some success at the end of his career.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

100% this.
RTS could cover wing at times too as I’m still not entirely convinced by Kosi. Happyenough with the first choice DWZ/Montoya combo.

Reactions: Izz

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Would Niukore have to put on 5-10kg to move to the front row? He looks a bit light for that position. Tho I wonder if this is kind of a Reuben Wiki reincarnate situation (similarly went to the front row at the Warriors and did well).
Nah, I don’t think so. According to the official stats he’s pretty much the same size as Barnett, Mai’u and Ale already.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I’m probably in your camp, feels a lot like the Ryan Hoffman sort of signing, on paper looks good but in reality outside a top system he didn’t really work out as was expected
Our club certainly isn't a top system, but it is a well-performed one that he comes into. This isn't the nightmare years of 11-22 - we have a high-quality coach, a committed owner, a CEO who seems to have warmed into the role, seasoned professionals throughout our roster and the momentum of a strong season.

I think you're right, if you brought Capewell into the 2016 side he'd be Ryan Hoffman v2.0. But as it stands he makes for a good fit. I think Niukore will go well in the front row in short stints, we have guys across our pack who make metres, I know in an ideal world we'd have another top quality prop but there's really no major weakness in our side when at full fitness. Exciting to have Leaitaua waiting in depth as well, guys who can cover the halves etc.

JJ

Immortal
Nah, I don’t think so. According to the official stats he’s pretty much the same size as Barnett, Mai’u and Ale already.
The official stats suggest that the absolute monsters are rare - I am nit sure I believe them, I think just recently I saw claims JFH is 103kg and AFB 123... pound for pound JFH is a f**king beast if that is close to true...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The stats are not particularly reliable (obviously weight fluctuates regardless) but AFB is certainly a lot bigger than JFH. JFH has the sort of athletic build where he could have played just about any position. AFB is just enormous, as wide as he is tall.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I don't really love the idea of Niukore going to prop, but I don't think size is a problem. He's a unit. He's probably naturally a bigger guy than Barnett, Ale or Afoa.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The official stats suggest that the absolute monsters are rare - I am nit sure I believe them, I think just recently I saw claims JFH is 103kg and AFB 123... pound for pound JFH is a f**king beast if that is close to true...
Yeah I’m dubious on official stats as well because weights vary a lot through the season but they’re probably fairly accurate for the purpose of comparing players to each other.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hot (i.e. probably wrong) take but I've never thought much of Capewell. Seems like a likeable underdog/underachiever with very limited athletic ability.

Could be the sort of guy who earns a lot of respect as a hard worker (Michael Luck type) or could be a guy whose limited ability becomes apparent when out of his comfort zone (Todd Lowrie, Dane Nielsen). I guess the Lowrie/Nielsen types might be less of a thing now if we have become a Melbourne/Penrith type club which maximises the attributes of its players.

I should’ve come out a bit stronger on this in the first place.

Just as importantly, I think the decision to move Niukore away from the right edge (which by all accounts would be the case even if he was available) might be having flow-on effects to the ineffectiveness of our right side attack.

Last edited:
Just as importantly, I think the decision to move Niukore away from the right edge (which by all accounts would be the case even if he was available) might be having flow-on effects to the ineffectiveness of our right side attack.

Yea I wasn't a fan of this from the start either. Felt like we were weakening one of our strengths to try solve another problem in the middle. Not that we've ever got a chance to really know if it was worth it with Niukore being out though.

And be fair to Capewell, he spent two years playing left side at the Broncos, so I do wonder how being shifted over to accommodate Ford staying staying put has affected his play.

Injuries haven't helped but IMO, neither have a number of selection calls.

JJ

Immortal
Re-reading this thread, lots of good points and queries raised early...

I'm not sure what to make of it, he's hardly the only one that's not playing well, and he's done well in three systems previously, neither Cronulla nor even the Broncos were brilliant when he got there - that said, I think the sentiment is about right, as is the suggestion from MV in various places that what the Warriors achieved last year was very overrated and a bit lucky?

Re-reading this thread, lots of good points and queries raised early...

I'm not sure what to make of it, he's hardly the only one that's not playing well, and he's done well in three systems previously, neither Cronulla nor even the Broncos were brilliant when he got there - that said, I think the sentiment is about right, as is the suggestion from MV in various places that what the Warriors achieved last year was very overrated and a bit lucky?
Maybe more under the radar than overrated/lucky? As in a classic case of second year syndrome where Webby's structures have been figured out and he (and the team) are yet to respond with a plan B.

JJ

Immortal
Maybe more under the radar than overrated/lucky? As in a classic case of second year syndrome where Webby's structures have been figured out and he (and the team) are yet to respond with a plan B.
Not seeing under the radar as people were talking us up like we’re the Panthers