What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lassie thread - Dog acts of 08

Mr Saab

Referee
Danish said:
That shot on Slater was as "cheap" as anything else discussed in this thread.

Player lying on the ground. Whistle already blown, defenceless, no chance to defend himself.......

.......... and slater deserved every last bit of it for being such a cat and lying down like that.

Whistle wasnt "blown" as such. The three of them (Slater and the 2 warriors) didnt know the whistle was blown back down field and went on as per the norm....which is only natural.
Now, say it was all good and Slater gets up to run and scores a try....what do you think Cleary would have done to the warriors player!

Grail

Juniors
Danish said:
That shot on Slater was as "cheap" as anything else discussed in this thread.

Player lying on the ground. Whistle already blown, defenceless, no chance to defend himself.......

.......... and slater deserved every last bit of it for being such a cat and lying down like that.

The first bit of the quote is just :crazy:, the second bit is more on the money. Slater, by lying down should have been penalised for a voluntary tackle (why don't refs enforce that rule anymore?)... of course, that's moot as the whistle had gone, but they didn't know it.

By not playing the game to the rules, Slater cops what he gets and that's bad luck. If he'd been playing according to the rules, he wouldn't have been lying down defencless. He'd have been having to try and promote the football.

Grail

Juniors
Slackboy72 said:
Has anyone ever seen someone get pinged for a voluntary tackle?

Once, a couple of years ago - but I can't remember who the teams were or who the player was, all I know is that I spilt my drink in shock. :shock:

It's like the penalty for a deliberate forward pass and the 8 point try.

So often, I see tries scored and theres a foul afterwards that could easily be awarded as an 8 point try, but it's not. It's almost like you've got to murder a try scorer to have one awarded against you.

simostorm

Bench
The whistle had blown while Billy was still running...check the replay if you want..

You can see Billy on the ground and he is actually LOOKING at the backplay where the
ref had blown the whislte which is why he was sitting there.

He was probally just about to stand up and Luaki comes galloping in and creams Billy..lol

The ref called Luaki out and warned him...And of course Luaki new what he was doing..

Dog Act - yes

MKEB...

Staff member
Was he looking at back play or looking at Lauaki and wondering "lauaki is coming at me, Maybe I will do a Paul Gallen, yeah thats what I will do". Come on, do you mean to tell me you rewound your tape specifically to that incident, or that you had to immediately watch the game again just to see that happen. Your imagining and dreaming it bro.

_Johnsy

Referee
I think the Numbers have spoken, of course this has caused much debate.
The winner of the Lassie award for round 1, is Riley BROWN.

Roosterphin1

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
I think the Numbers have spoken, of course this has caused much debate.
The winner of the Lassie award for round 1, is Riley BROWN.

Its funny because the only ones calling it a cheap shot are whining souths fans and idiots om here that know jack all about the game.

All past players and coaches thought it was fine. Go figure?

_Johnsy

Referee
The winner of weeks 1 Lassie Award is none other than Riley BROWN.
Congrats Riley, you brown dog.

There will be a seperate nomination thread eacxh week, but the winner will be posted each week, or however long it takes to get a winner if there is an incident free round. in this one.

_Johnsy

Referee
Roosterphin1 said:
Its funny because the only ones calling it a cheap shot are whining souths fans and idiots om here that know jack all about the game.

All past players and coaches thought it was fine. Go figure?

WOW someone disagrees with you and the name calling starts, who would have thought, although it is your usual MO.

Past players and coaches have said it was LEGAL as have many posters on here, many said it was a cheap shot. Translated for you, that equals dog act.

bartman

Immortal
Fairly safe winner there.

I expect there will be some more closer calls to make in coming rounds...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Grail said:
Once, a couple of years ago - but I can't remember who the teams were or who the player was, all I know is that I spilt my drink in shock. :shock:

I can remember only one.

Dragons vs Warriors at Kogarah a few years back - the referee blew the whistle for the penalty just as Francis Meli was coming in to smash the guy.

Needless to say, the poor guy on the ground got penalised and smashed.

Noa

First Grade
MKEB... said:
Was he looking at back play or looking at Lauaki and wondering "lauaki is coming at me, Maybe I will do a Paul Gallen, yeah thats what I will do". Come on, do you mean to tell me you rewound your tape specifically to that incident, or that you had to immediately watch the game again just to see that happen. Your imagining and dreaming it bro.

Tell me this, and I'll ask it of Luaki and Riley Brown, would you be happy to see that type play 3 times a game, every game.

Roosterphin1

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
WOW someone disagrees with you and the name calling starts, who would have thought, although it is your usual MO.

Past players and coaches have said it was LEGAL as have many posters on here, many said it was a cheap shot. Translated for you, that equals dog act.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
Noa Nandruku said:
Tell me this, and I'll ask it of Luaki and Riley Brown, would you be happy to see that type play 3 times a game, every game.

Sure would.

As the refs in rugby say to the players "if you get yourself in a stupid position I can't protect you"

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Dr Crane said:
I can remember only one.

Dragons vs Warriors at Kogarah a few years back - the referee blew the whistle for the penalty just as Francis Meli was coming in to smash the guy.

Needless to say, the poor guy on the ground got penalised and smashed.

It was 2003, and I believe the player involved was an 18 year old Ben Creagh (although it might have been David Howell), possibly on debut, and Sione Faumuina (not Meli).

It was absolutely hilarious. Creagh/Howell dived on a loose ball, and no-one touched him. He then put the ball down to play it, and as he was raking the ball back, Faumuina came flying in and absolutely nailed him, and earned his side a (justified) penalty to boot.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
simostorm said:
The whistle had blown while Billy was still running...check the replay if you want..

You can see Billy on the ground and he is actually LOOKING at the backplay where the
ref had blown the whislte which is why he was sitting there.

He was probally just about to stand up and Luaki comes galloping in and creams Billy..lol

The ref called Luaki out and warned him...And of course Luaki new what he was doing..

Dog Act - yes

It was pretty obvious that Witt, Slater, and Lauaki all believed that it was play on.

Shorty

Staff member
From what I've heard,haven't seen it....it was more or less the same incident that happened with Canberra/Knights on Sat night.
And I mean,not hearing the whistle and seeing Billy Slater jump on the ball like you wouldn't chase him when he's scored three trys already that night...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's something you see quite often actually. Slater fell over, and he didn't want to be wrapped up by Witt, because he wanted the quick play the ball. However, by delaying completing the tackle, Witt was trying to give his teammates more time to get back onside. Lauaki took a different approach and came in (legitimately, with no hint of an elbow or anything like that) and smashed him.

Now, I know Hame isn't a brain surgeon, but you guys are kidding yourselves if you honestly think Lauaki knew that the whistle had blown all of about 10-15 seconds earlier.

Latest posts