What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lassie thread - Dog acts of 08

Slackboy72

Coach
I don't think there is any doubt it is legal but it is still a dog act. There can be no doubt he deliberately tried to hurt him when he was in no position to defend himself. That's the difference between shoulder charging someone in the back when he cant see you coming and putting a big hit under his rib cage. Both are intended to hurt but only one allows the 'victim' to defend themself.

Grail

Juniors
I doubt seriously that it was an attempt to hurt Wing. More it was an attempt to put Wing on his back and slow the play the ball down. We see this every week where a couple players are wrestling or struggling with a player who is on their feet and a third one comes into the tackle to put the ball carrier on the ground.

The result from this tackle is unfortunate, but it's not Riley Browns fault.

I feel that the Ref needs to take some responsibility for the injury. He should have called held prior to brown entering, as it was a completed tackle. As he didn't call held, Brown was attempting to do what all coaches want their players to do, put the ball carrier on the ground to slow the play the ball. And he had every right to do it.

Crying foul over it is rubbish.

I feel sorry for Wing, nobody likes to see anybody hurt. I feel sorry for Souths who have now been inadvertently robbed of their premier signing for a long period. But to say it was a dog act is churlish and ludicrous.

no name

Referee
Grail said:
I doubt seriously that it was an attempt to hurt Wing. More it was an attempt to put Wing on his back and slow the play the ball down. We see this every week where a couple players are wrestling or struggling with a player who is on their feet and a third one comes into the tackle to put the ball carrier on the ground.

Finally, someone who knows a thing or two about the game.

lotti

Bench
Grail said:

I feel that the Ref needs to take some responsibility for the injury. He should have called held prior to brown entering, as it was a completed tackle. As he didn't call held, Brown was attempting to do what all coaches want their players to do, put the ball carrier on the ground to slow the play the ball. And he had every right to do it.

I feel sorry for Wing, nobody likes to see anybody hurt. I feel sorry for Souths who have now been inadvertently robbed of their premier signing for a long period. But to say it was a dog act is churlish and ludicrous.
they normally don't to have do a shoulder charge to subdo who they're tackling, from what I saw of the tackle Brown had every intention of causing harm to Wing he visabably went down into the charge.

Grail said:
I doubt seriously that it was an attempt to hurt Wing.

Crying foul over it is rubbish. But to say it was a dog act is churlish and ludicrous.

To go from "I doubt" to emphatic statements such as "it is rubbish" & "is ludicrous" means this post = low credibility.

Shorty

Staff member
Grail said:

I'm sure a lot of players do it,but to the extent that Riley did it.
Cocked his elbow,knew full well Wing was exposed and went for it and a clapping Anasta as Wing struggled in pain.

Grail

Juniors
Jatz Crackers said:
To go from "I doubt" to emphatic statements such as "it is rubbish" & "is ludicrous" means this post = low credibility.

I doubt that Brown meant to hurt is different to saying that souths and their fans crying foul is churlish, ludicrous and rubbish. There must be doubt about the intent of Brown, but some of the whining has been grade A bullplop.

Therefore I doubt that Brown meant to hurt Wing.
I know that crying foul over it is ludicrous.

As to seeing players lead into tackles like that with their shoulder - it happens all the time. Saw it yesterday in the Dragons/Tigers game. Can't remember the players involved, but because the tackled player gets up and plays the ball there's no outcry.

Injuries are unfortunate, but they do happen.

Grail

Juniors
And just to qualify my stance.
I dislike Souths.
But I hate the Roosters.

So I have no agenda.

lotti

Bench
then why do can you see him bending down for the charge? What Riley Brown did was wrong, it shouldn't be in the game and Freddie needs to tell his players that it needs to stop.

no name

Referee
lotti said:
then why do can you see him bending down for the charge? What Riley Brown did was wrong, it shouldn't be in the game and Freddie needs to tell his players that it needs to stop.

If you went to a training run for any team from park football through to the NRL, you would see that teams practice this sort of thing all the time. Coaches are always looking for the 3rd man to come in to slow the ruck and give their team an advantage. Souths are probably out on the paddock right now doing the same thing.

lotti

Bench
not the Prowler they don't, the type of third man tackle that normally happen is usually all 3 players with their arms around the other player pulling him down onto the ground the Prowler on the other hand is 2 players holding up another player so a third guy can slam him in the back and that should be outlawed and as Wing said it started at the Roosters so it should finish there.

Danish

Referee
I nominate Matt Cooper....

MarshallInjury.jpg

Look at this dirty stuff. It ticks all the boxes.

1) Marshall isn't looking, and therefore cant brace for the hit. Big no no apparently

2) He doesnt even have the ball in his possession. The first shot shows the moment of impact. So clearly a late shot

3) It was performed on a star of the game, which makes it 1000 times worse it seems.

4) Resulted in a nasty injury

grab your torch and pitchforks fellas, we are marching on Saints headquarters to lynch this diabolical creature.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Can't really see in that two players holding benji up for another bloke to come in and belt him from behind. Pretty crap example actually.

haha

Juniors
Is it really that uncommon for a roosters player to want to ram another man from behind?

I could also see the Doggies of old coming out in them when two held him still while one did the ramming.

Grail said:
Therefore I doubt that Brown meant to hurt Wing.
I know that crying foul over it is ludicrous.

My point is IF you have doubt about the intent of the tackle then there MUST be scope for others to believe there is merit in crying foul over it.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
Dog Act = Jason Taylor in the press conference. Its as if he never laced a boot and played the game the way he bitched and moaned about it. GROW SOME NUTS YOU LITTLE TWERP.
BTW - The score was 34 - something or other....who cares. Roosters win. Soufs and their 'Book of turds' LOSE!!!

Muffdaddy said:
Dog Act = Jason Taylor in the press conference. Its as if he never laced a boot and played the game the way he bitched and moaned about it. GROW SOME NUTS YOU LITTLE TWERP.
BTW - The score was 34 - something or other....who cares. Roosters win. Soufs and their 'Book of turds' LOSE!!!

You would be a roosters supporter, right ?

no name

Referee
lotti said:
not the Prowler they don't, the type of third man tackle that normally happen is usually all 3 players with their arms around the other player pulling him down onto the ground the Prowler on the other hand is 2 players holding up another player so a third guy can slam him in the back and that should be outlawed and as Wing said it started at the Roosters so it should finish there.
I was always taught if you can see any part of an oppposition player jumper, and that player is standing/running to hit that part of the player.
Brown obviously had similar instructions