What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League stars in campus ruckus

the_knights_rule

First Grade
thanks for the updates matt... i wont hear anyting down here so this is the only place i can find out whats going on without having to wait for the late news

Risa

Bench
Here's the story...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Knights-fine-players-50000/2005/02/21/1108834726730.html

Knights fine players $50,000
February 21, 2005 - 8:11PM

The Newcastle Knights National Rugby League club has fined 12 players a total of $50,000 for breaking team rules after a trial match in Bathurst on the weekend.

Police say they have no evidence to support claims that a member of the Knights indecently assaulted a student at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst.

Superintendent Martin Wookey said detectives interviewed students about the alleged drunken rampage through a student dormitory in the early hours of Sunday morning, but no-one has made a complaint.

"In the absence of any allegation other than anecdotal evidence reported in the media, there's nothing else we can do," he told the ABC.

Police also contacted the Knights rugby league club, the local hospital, media outlets and university officials in an attempt to verify the allegations.

"The university has had some discussions with police and certainly will maintain our liaison with police as we pursue our investigation of these matters," said acting vice-chancellor, Professor David Battersby
AdvertisementAdvertisement

The National Rugby League confirmed that the Newcastle Club had received complaints from the university about the behaviour of several players.

Knights chief executive Ken Conway said he was deeply concerned about the allegations and the fact that players broke a club curfew.

"We are taking the matter extremely seriously and we'll be conducting a thorough investigation and disciplining people where discipline is necessary," he said.

Knights football manager Mark Sargent said the club had put in place rules governing appropriate behaviour, but it appeared they were not working.

"We spoke to them [the players] prior to and during the course of the trip and apparently that hasn't worked," he said.

"So we will, over the next couple of days, put methods in place that will hopefully get through to them."

MrCharisma

Bench
not sure if this is posted but this is off ABC news

Kurt Gidley, Mark Hughes, Matt Kennedy, Kirk Reynoldson, Luke Quigley, Todd Lowrie, Dustin Cooper, Blake Mueller, Regan Tanner, Daniel Tolar, Adam Woolnough, Dane Tilse, fined $50,000 in total for breaking a 3 am curfew.

princess plj

Juniors
what i dont get is what these players were thinking--- they are in the public eye no matter what they do its going to be scrutinized by the media and blown out of proportion. i suppose they dont learn from others mistakes but need to make their own then suffer the consequences.....

The_Ben

Juniors
Apparently there is also news in the late night edition about another team playing up after a trial game this weekend. They didn't say which team at the moment. Just said it will be coming up.

Yep it must be footy season!

MrCharisma

Bench
The_Ben said:
Apparently there is also news in the late night edition about another team playing up after a trial game this weekend. They didn't say which team at the moment. Just said it will be coming up.

Yep it must be footy season!

better not be the bulldogs.... i hope we've learnt after 03 and 04

Alex28

Coach
The fines were the right thing to do - players need to be told that breaking the clubs rules is not on and fining them on average over $4,000 each is fair enough.

If the indecent assault thing is correct and proven - then the player involved has to go. An example has to be set to the team and the league in general that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated.

I don't care whether it is a first division player, or a key first grader - this can not be covered over and can not be tolerated by management of the club. Invading anyone's personal space (whether a girls room, bed or whatever) against her will is inexcusable - no matter how drunk a guy is, they know what the right thing to do is.

The thing that really annoys me is that they wouldn't dare do this in Newcastle, so what makes the players think that doing it in Bathurst is OK?

We'll see if the more serious accusations are fair dinkum or not in the next few days and hope to god this doesn't cost the club a potential new major sponsor...

MrCharisma

Bench
Premier Carr has just reported to the NRL that they need to clean their act up... I'm sure Gallop will have something to say

Alex28

Coach
Well...looks like our Board has some balls after all.

It's sad that it's come to this but it's the right thing to do. :(

Matt23

Staff member
Someone got sacked :shock:
and the Knights have been fined, $100,000, with a further $100,000 suspended - David Gallop

Cammo

Bench
Just reported on 10 news that Knights have been fined $100,000 by the NRL and one player has been sacked. No name yet

Yeah me to i was just bout to apologise for my closemindness this morning

It was true

I guess they won't let us know who till we see a team member missing :shock:

Matt23 who you think it was??

Latest posts