What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League vs Union Hybrid Match

gho

Juniors
Well the hybrid rules wanted to get rid of lifting in lineouts, the lineouts are the only part of the union game that i think is better than league, and getting rid of the lifting would just ruin it.

For all people trying to take it seriously dont. Its going to be a charity match if it goes ahead so no doubt it will be a glorified game of touch with the players just putting on a show for the crowd.

Dragonwest

Juniors
How about they play unlimited tackles, 6 man contested scrums, piss off lineouts, have a contested ruck (play the ball) and meet half way by pulling back the defence 5 mtrs.

Holy crap they would playing league like the 50's!!!!

Thomas

First Grade
http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/11/24/Kangaroos_v_Wallabies_Sorry_guys_keep_dreaming

The Australian Rugby Union said it has no interest in a proposed game between the Wallabies and Kangaroos in Sydney next year.

Reports today revealed the game had been booked for an October date at ANZ Stadium but the ARU has denied any interest in the game.

The Daily Telegraph's story mainly quoted promoter Phil Franks and a statement from the ARU said they had no interest in Franks' plan.

"Australian Rugby Union has no interest in a promoters plan to stage a Wallabies v Kangaroos match under hybrid laws in Sydney next October," the statement read.

"The ARU has not been approached with the idea and has no intention of altering the existing 2009 program to entertain the proposal as floated in the media this morning."

An ARU spokesman said even if the organisation was interested in a cross-code match against the Kangaroos it wouldn't need a "middle-man" to organise the fixture.

Thomas

First Grade
Indeed.

More poor journalism from the Terrorgraph. Perhaps the right thing to do would have been to ask the NRL and ARU first?

Pika

Bench
It would be all fun and games until the first contested scrum.

Atwhich point the ARL front row would be off to hospital...... game over.

macavity

Referee
It would be all fun and games until the first contested scrum.

Atwhich point the ARL front row would be off to hospital...... game over.

dont you mean

it would be fun and games until the first hit up by an RL forward

then the RU forwards would be off to hospital....

Loudstrat

Coach
So, now Yawnion have piked out, I wonder what the rules would have been?

I guess, 6 tackle rule with play the ball,
Union contested 5 man scrum for turnovers and knock ons,
Lineouts for touch finders
Union's kick out on the full rules
A 4-2-2 point scoring system (try = 4, conversion and penalty = 2, FG = 2)

I could see it work. However, the big problem, as always, is the arrogance of the IRB.

bobbis

Juniors
I wouldn't mind watching this but I don't think it will go ahead. Its a chance for the ARU and ARL to make alot of money though, a gauranteed 80000 sell out and you charge through the roof for tickets. Not to mention the tv audience would be huge.

In light of the recent RLWC maybe it should be the Kiwis vs the All Blacks. Rather than watch the 2nd best in each code why not watch the best play each other.

The rules would almost inevitably favour 1 codes, if the ruck is contested its essentially RU if it isn't its RL. Thus any game would have to be 50/50 rucks and play the balls the rest of the rules are of secondary importance.

The play the balls in your own half and rucks and mauls in the other half is a good idea.

I'd have for the rules:
ao league PTBs in your half rucks in the other half, unlimited tackles
league scrums, union scrums would be dangerous
union lineouts to balance out the league scrums
the ball can be stripped in general play, no 1 on 1 rule
no mark in the 22 or kick out on the full in the 22
offisde line 5 metres from play the ball, lineout and scrums
off side line last feet at ruck or maul
dropout from the try line not the 22
allow marking in the in goal
allow shoulder charges
RU ball

hellteam

First Grade
I reckon the Kangaroos could go close to beating the Wallabies at Rugby Union. Seriously.

hellteam

First Grade
Yeah no not really. But any of them could make the team if they switched to rugby. Especially the backs.

shiznit

Coach
im a massive fan of both codes but i hate this idea... it would just be a farce...

you HAVE to have full rucks... because if you have play the balls then you take out someone like Richie McCaw & George Smith who are just unbelievable on the deck.

it would most definatley have to be RL or granny scrums... theres no f**king way youd want to put league forwards in a scrum against an international level scrum. we have kids being paralysed in junior football scrums. way too dangerous for people that havent been schooled in the art.

i woudlnt mind a version of 7's... the All Blacks backline VS Kangaroos backline...

shiznit

Coach
I wouldn't mind watching this but I don't think it will go ahead. Its a chance for the ARU and ARL to make alot of money though, a gauranteed 80000 sell out and you charge through the roof for tickets. Not to mention the tv audience would be huge.

In light of the recent RLWC maybe it should be the Kiwis vs the All Blacks. Rather than watch the 2nd best in each code why not watch the best play each other.

lol... theres only one champion team there... if you want the best VS the best youd have to have the Kiwis VS Boks.

you could still have the All Blacks V The Kangaroos... Battle of the chokers..

Latest posts