What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua to Dogs

Old Timer

Coach
That 'story' from Tony Adams (aka RLW Mole) was posted this morning & jut accelerated the whole "Leilua's gone to the Dogs' hysteria. Part of this was Andy Raymond mentioning it during the Sea Eagles v Raiders game & so the momentum continued spreading the news like it's 100% fact.

Everyone needs to calm down & wait for Leilua to be announced as staying at the Dragons or leaving. As weak as it sounds, things do change with these negotiations & often the player doesn't talk directly to the existing club or potential new club until the deal is done. This is a direct reference to Raelene Castle saying they hadn't spoken to Leilua.
I agree 100% but who is the player/manager in question and how many of our juniors are in his stable?
As they say too late when the horse has bolted.

dragoncountry

Juniors
WTF???

Either you have news or you don't!

What a waste of space to start another thread without an ounce of evidence.

Seriously.
I wouldn't have posted I I hadn't read it hero.
it was in the RLW, foxsports, and today the buzz is also reporting it in the telecrap.
enjoy the read..

dragon thomo

Juniors
It just doesnt add up I know it has been written in some articles but it would not be the first time that they are wrong. Surely we would not be playing him in first grade if he was leaving.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Mole just said there was a hiccup in the last 24 hours meaning back flip? Not sure but nothing is set in stone so far

monsterkev

Juniors
i keep reading and hearing he has signed with the dogs
i wish they would just hurry up and announce what is going on
put us out of our misery
there would have to be an announcement soon with only 2 rounds to go

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I smell a "back-flip" of DCE proportions.

Tabloids always hedge their bets.
First it's - "Leilua to join the Bulldogs"
Then "Leilua sensationally back-flips on Bulldogs deal and stays with the Dragons"

Whatever it takes to garnish interest in their media. Attract more readers/viewers = more advertising = more revenue.

OzDragon

Coach
I smell a "back-flip" of DCE proportions.

Tabloids always hedge their bets.
First it's - "Leilua to join the Bulldogs"
Then "Leilua sensationally back-flips on Bulldogs deal and stays with the Dragons"

Whatever it takes to garnish interest in their media. Attract more readers/viewers = more advertising = more revenue.
It'd be nice to be on the good side of a back flip for once.

Old Timer

Coach
It'd be nice to be on the good side of a back flip for once.
We all know that Doust didn't want Mary and he got slapped down over it.
Doubt however knows that McGregor is a turtle that keeps getting flipped on its back and we all know how useful a turtle on its back is.
Trouble is Doust keeps walking past it and gives it a kick and it invariably it spins around on its back but somehow it ends up back on its feet until the next backflip and the cycle just keeps repeating itself.
Classic really.

hazzbeen

Bench
Some will say its not the end of the world if we do loose him . Agree but its just not him it is bigger than that . Bird , Hastings , Morris , Merrin , Matauti its the way we have been managed and the players we are signing and it looks like we are OK with our current coach . there has been no improvement can't see the light at the end of the tunnel .

I'm not sure how Mata belongs on that list but I see your point.
Doesn't matter if you're talking about origin players, established first graders or up and coming juniors. The modern salary cap makes it impossible for clubs with strong junior bases to hang on to all of their best. Add to that the terrible f**ken rabble we have in the boardroom, back office and football operations, and you know there's gunna be some serious issues with player retention.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The way the Club is resigning juniors they will have to promote them as there will be no-one else. I hope that we do sign Cook as he played well today for Souths. I do think we will have the players next year as long as we do not sign over-aged, over the hill rejects as we have in the past? Masoe and Sims for the full year and replacements for Creagh and Farrell will make a difference and we will not have Marshall and Rein to stuff up the attack. Hopefully we will not maintain our
injury prone players and players who make handling or kicking errors will be hooked or dropped as a matter of urgency.

DragonJohn

Juniors
mole just reported

By The Mole
August 27, 2016

THE BULLDOGS pack looks set to get a whole lot bigger with the club on the verge of signing impressive Dragons rookie Luciano Leilua.

The 20-year-old monster has shown promise in limited minutes in his three NRL outings and his likely departure will anger already irate Dragons fans.

The younger brother of Raiders centre Joey Leilua is rated a real prospect and has been in the Bulldogs’ sights for some time.

The 120 kg wrecking ball has been a rare bright spot in an otherwise dour season for the Red V, with the young forward averaging 45 metres and 15 tackles in just 21 minutes on the field.

After impressing in his debut against the Broncos, Leilua has a right to be frustrated at by his drop in minutes recently despite consistently putting in a strong performance off the bench.

The Dragons have had a horrible time with recruitment and retention in recent years having lost the likes Brett Morris, Trent Merrin and Jack Bird. They have also missed out on acquiring Cooper Cronk, Luke Keary, Lachlan Coote and Jarryd Hayne.

Leilua’s impending arrival at Belmore will force out former Kangaroo prop Tony Williams. It is believed the second-rower has already been told by Des Hasler that he will not be offered a new deal next season.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
mole just reported

By The Mole
August 27, 2016

THE BULLDOGS pack looks set to get a whole lot bigger with the club on the verge of signing impressive Dragons rookie Luciano Leilua.

The 20-year-old monster has shown promise in limited minutes in his three NRL outings and his likely departure will anger already irate Dragons fans.

The younger brother of Raiders centre Joey Leilua is rated a real prospect and has been in the Bulldogs’ sights for some time.

The 120 kg wrecking ball has been a rare bright spot in an otherwise dour season for the Red V, with the young forward averaging 45 metres and 15 tackles in just 21 minutes on the field.

After impressing in his debut against the Broncos, Leilua has a right to be frustrated at by his drop in minutes recently despite consistently putting in a strong performance off the bench.

The Dragons have had a horrible time with recruitment and retention in recent years having lost the likes Brett Morris, Trent Merrin and Jack Bird. They have also missed out on acquiring Cooper Cronk, Luke Keary, Lachlan Coote and Jarryd Hayne.

Leilua’s impending arrival at Belmore will force out former Kangaroo prop Tony Williams. It is believed the second-rower has already been told by Des Hasler that he will not be offered a new deal next season.

Disagree. The good clubs manage their best juniors well.

Straight Shooter

Yes and no.
The good clubs are the biggest and most powerful and have access to more or less unlimited TPAs. With exception of Brisbane, these clubs don't contribute more to the game through a focus on juniors than they take.

So my point is that the current salary cap doesn't reward clubs who focus on juniour production.

After Brisbane, Penrith are probably the club with the best record for producing juniors and nourishing them through to first grade. While they're going OK at the moment, the fact that they haven't exactly had sustained success over a long period of time only serves to emphasise the problem.

It's a moot point anyway. I clearly said in my post that the incompetence of our club in both football operations and the back office both compounds and is compounded by this.