What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's get 50k plus to Saints and Dogs in Rnd 10

Brutus

Referee
Brutus, I too would like to see 50K to a premiership game but there was no way it was possible this time round, for reasons mention.

Perhaps a bit of forward planning from the NRL for 2012 in regards to the timing.

The planets were not aligned on this occasion.

They certainly weren't.

The NRL is too top-heavy with Sydney blockbusters at the start of the year.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
It has certainly been a strange draw this year, several match ups have already been played twice and its only round 10.

St George/Canterbury
Canterbury/Souths
Wests/Souths
Penrith/Brisbane

I'm sure there's others too, which is a bit ridiculous.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
They certainly weren't.

The NRL is too top-heavy with Sydney blockbusters at the start of the year.

Agree with this 100%, they have played most of the biggest drawing sydney games with 10 weeks, which is just silly. It waters down the rivalry when its played so soon and keeps people away

docbrown

Coach
I think perhaps that they may have shifted a few of the matches that they would've played during the Origin period (which would've overshadowed them) and had them in the first 10 rounds instead.

I think they've stuffed up their draw though for Rounds 25 & 26. Although they've put in 2 Broncos games (to help boost crowds) not every teams gets a home game.

For those last two rounds I'd try to give as many teams a home game (because at that stage there's usually 9-12 in the hunt) whereas if you double up you risk giving two home games to a dud team. That added - I'd also schedule to have teams that are relatively close play one another (where possible in Sydney) with a preference given to ANZ and SFS.

Not necessarily big derby games, but more like having say Tigers vs Sharks @ Campbelltown. If Tigers are good then their own fans will turn up. If Tigers are crap, Sharks fans might turn up if they're playing good. Just to cover your bases for the different ladder positions as much as possible.

Teddyboy

First Grade
God it seems like the tears of 2003-2009 are so long gone.Saying that I think the NRL started to get out of it's Super League mess in 2001.
Last year wasn't good or bad for crowds but this year is a f**king shocker and I don't know who is too blame,mind you give you a hint as whoever had the Sharks v Dragons game put in for a monday in the shire didn't really think plus it f**king pissed down.

NRL WAKE THE f**k UP.

Hutty1986

Immortal
God it seems like the tears of 2003-2009 are so long gone.Saying that I think the NRL started to get out of it's Super League mess in 2001.
Last year wasn't good or bad for crowds but this year is a f**king shocker and I don't know who is too blame,mind you give you a hint as whoever had the Sharks v Dragons game put in for a monday in the shire didn't really think plus it f**king pissed down.

NRL WAKE THE f**k UP.

Plus the return game is on a Monday night at Kogarah I'm pretty sure

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Plus the return game is on a Monday night at Kogarah I'm pretty sure
Yep. Monday 18 July. Plus two weeks before on Monday 27 June against Manly.

Middle of winter and Monday night football - sure to be be a battle crowd-wise.

BF

Juniors
there is 6 in my family... 5 dragons fans and 1 dogs fan... we chose not to go because of previous issues with crowd violence at Dogs games...and... i know of many others that made the same decision. Mind you..... we all attended the round 5 game at the SCG... seems that gangsters from bankstown have more of a tendancy to cause trouble during night games and at their own home ground. Perhaps they couldnt afford the train fare to the city...

ouwet

Bench
there is 6 in my family... 5 dragons fans and 1 dogs fan... we chose not to go because of previous issues with crowd violence at Dogs games...and... i know of many others that made the same decision. Mind you..... we all attended the round 5 game at the SCG... seems that gangsters from bankstown have more of a tendancy to cause trouble during night games and at their own home ground. Perhaps they couldnt afford the train fare to the city...

Oh please... Welcome to 2011! We are no longer in 2004!!

The only crowd trouble i saw came from a St George supporter! It was a great night and both sets of fans was well behaved and enjoyed a pretty good game of Football! You missed out in the end!!!

At the end of the day... Friday night isn't the best night for a Dragons game (Outside from it's home grounds), the travel from Wollongong to Homebush isn't happening & from Kogarah to Homebush is a Bitch (3 trains if I'm correct)...

the animal

The only crowd trouble i saw came from a St George supporter! It was a great night and both sets of fans was well behaved and enjoyed a pretty good game of Football! You missed out in the end!!!

At the end of the day... Friday night isn't the best night for a Dragons game (Outside from it's home grounds), the travel from Wollongong to Homebush isn't happening & from Kogarah to Homebush is a Bitch (3 trains if I'm correct)...

BWAAA AHHHH HAAAAA a Dogs fan deflecting, no way never seen that.

Face reality Nev !

BTW should you blokes BUY more, are youse whinging yet that YOU NEED TO BUY more players :crazy:

Dragon Dave

Bench
The crowd didn't surprise me.

I left the southern suburbs at 5pm by train, changed trains twice, and didn't get to my seat until 6.35.

Would have been very hard for working saints fans leaving from St George and the Shire to get there in time unless you paid for a park.

Leaving at 5pm and getting home after 11pm for a game of footy in a sh*tty stadium that is half empty in cold weather is hardly attractive for the average footy fan.

Angry_eel

First Grade
It only cracked 30K due to free tickets imo. Me and 5 mates got free tickets since my mate works for a Bulldogs sponsor.

Still a good crowd though.

Raiderdave

First Grade
And the Excusathon continues

more attended a less attractive game last year on the same night
ruling out

trouble at Dogs games :roll:
difficulties getting to the ground :?
too many blockbusters in the early rnds ...
what has that got to do with it :sarcasm:

& any other lame@ssed attempts at explaining how fans just " soft " c.ocked their way out of going :crazy:

it was an appalling turnout

as was the crowd the following night at ANZ
& the crowd in Townsville a real stinker ....

the crowd on the Gold Coast was dissapointing too & the Knights crowd slightly under expectations

crowds in Melbourne & Penrith were about what was expected
The Sharks crowd was OK .. pretty good.

Rnd 11 crowd predictions

Raiders V Dogs 13,000 ( will be freezing )
Tigers V Panthers 16,000
Roosters V Knights 12,000
Warriors V Souths 15,000
Parra V Sharks 12,000

BF

Juniors

interesting... the friends and family that did go ....had coins, bottles and shoes thrown at them..so... i'd hardly say that canterbury fans were well behaved... but then again... given they werent stabbed or bashed perhaps the canterbury fans were well behaved...

Raiderdave

First Grade

how is 35,000 an appalling turnout? man there are some real weirdos in this thread.

based on
the exposure this game was given
the fact more turned out to a lesser game last year at the same venue on the same night of the week
traditional rivals
a cr@p load of free or cheap tickets given out
a fine night weather wise

anything else you need ..... weirdo ?:crazy:

Raiderdave

First Grade
250 double passes is a crap load of free tickets now lol

whole sections going for $15 max is ...

the fact probably 10K members turned up indicates only 20odd thousand were prepared to pay .. & not much at that .. to watch the game

a pathetic response from fans of these 2 clubs

ByRd

First Grade
So $15 is free now and who cares if they are cheap, they are at the ends of the ground where tickets should be that especially in a stadium that can hold a lot of people, there's no problem with that.

Latest posts