What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets hope the Game Day Entertainment is better this year.......................

Karmawave

Bench
Unfortunately much of the musical entertainment at EAS is not helped by the completely inadequate sound system.

Having said that, chicks singing AC/DC again this year is a no no , even if we had the best sound system ever invented. :lol:

cram

Bench
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=10959

KNIGHTS SNARE JESSICA MAUBOY

Friday, March 27, 2009
It has been confirmed, Australian Idol alumni Jessica Mauboy will perform at the Knights first home game of the season, next Sunday 5 April at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
Mauboy will warm up the crowd with songs from her hit album, 'Been Waiting', before the Knights come face to face with defending Premiers, the Manly Sea Eagles.
Kids and adults alike will have to opportunity to dance and sing along to Mauboy’s chart topping singles ‘Burn’ and ‘Running Back’ .
Mauboy’s appearance at the Knights home game will conclude with a very special rendition of the Australian National Anthem.
Other game day entertainment will include performances from the Knights dance cheer squad and stunt cheer squad.
a href="http://proticket.com.au/event.asp?eventid=154"> Tickets are on sale now!

Karmawave

Bench
Well i'll be buggered :lol:

While Jessica doesn't take up any of my iPod, isn't it great that the Knights are getting top artists to perform at home games.

Great work.

Jono078

Referee
Is it great work or a waste of money?

Nothing to do with if she has good songs or not, but I really couldn't give a stuff about that?

Karmawave

Bench
Jono there's people who don't go to the games right now because they feel the experience of it isn't the same as it once was and that the value for money is poor.

There'll always be the core supporters that go just to watch the footy.

But there's plenty of fans who go with friends who are only part time footy fans, and want to experience a day out.

Sometimes in business you have to spend money in order to make it, and I'm all for trying to attract groups of people who may only be minimal fans of the game itself, but go because its an EVENT.

One day and 20/20 cricket are examples of how just 'being apart of the atmosphere ' is reason enough why alot of people attend the game even if their own personal interest in cricket itself is fleeting.

If Jessica Mauboy ( while not my personal choice ) helps get a bunch of 15 year old girls to the game because a bunch of 15 year old boys they have crushes on are going to the game as well - then good on the Knights.

The Knights home games should be something alot of young people want to go to - not just the people who only care about the game.

Frederick

Staff member
Is it great work or a waste of money?

Nothing to do with if she has good songs or not, but I really couldn't give a stuff about that?
Yeah, snaring an artist who currently has two songs on the ARIA top 50 Singles chart is a waste of money. Would you prefer the singing grannies again? :roll:

Whilst it's not my style of music, it shows the Knights are putting more effort into match day entertainment. Doubt they'll be able to do it consistantly though

Karmawave

Bench
Well two shocks in the one day.

Firstly the Knights getting a Top 40 artist to perform at the game.

And then Frederick being on the same page as me in agreement.

Lets get the part time fans to the game!

We need their business, and this is one way going about getting it.

Frederick

Staff member
Well two shocks in the one day.

Firstly the Knights getting a Top 40 artist to perform at the game.

And then Frederick being on the same page as me in agreement.

Lets get the part time fans to the game!

We need their business, and this is one way going about getting it.
Whilst I doubt they can afford to draw big name talent to every game, I've no doubt that getting some well known local bands playing at each game as the pre and half time entertainment will improve the situation ten-fold. A band, two cheersquads, and the under 6's or whatever it is running round on field, should create a good atmosphere. They also need to advertise the bands on tv and in the papers "Get along to the footy this Sunday to see the Mighty Knights take on *insert team name here*, featuring half time performances from *insert band name here*"

They also need to start working on signing a big name band to play at the opening of the new grandstand...Silverchair would be massive.

And don't get used to me agreeing with you...it won't last ;-)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Jono there's people who don't go to the games right now because they feel the experience of it isn't the same as it once was and that the value for money is poor.

There'll always be the core supporters that go just to watch the footy.

But there's plenty of fans who go with friends who are only part time footy fans, and want to experience a day out.

Sometimes in business you have to spend money in order to make it, and I'm all for trying to attract groups of people who may only be minimal fans of the game itself, but go because its an EVENT.

One day and 20/20 cricket are examples of how just 'being apart of the atmosphere ' is reason enough why alot of people attend the game even if their own personal interest in cricket itself is fleeting.

If Jessica Mauboy ( while not my personal choice ) helps get a bunch of 15 year old girls to the game because a bunch of 15 year old boys they have crushes on are going to the game as well - then good on the Knights.

The Knights home games should be something alot of young people want to go to - not just the people who only care about the game.
I don't believe it, but I'm actually going to agree with you on this as well Karma. What's going on today? :crazy:

One of my gripes about the Knights and their fans is that there aren't enough 15-25 year olds who go to the games. Sure, you've got some, but comparitively with just about every other club in the competition, our fans are the older folk. While I don't have a problem with the "more mature people", I think one way of getting atmosphere back at EAS obviously starts with a winning/competitive team, but it also continues with having a younger generation there. Although, in saying that, we don't want to be like the Sharks where there's drunk 17-18 year olds at the ground every Saturday night.

Karmawave

Bench
Well Jessica Mauboy is smoking hot but the Knights should of gone with Karmawave to sing instead.

They already have trouble with serial pests getting on the ground without letting Karma at the mic. He would probably go off on some otherworldly rant at Burro and the Knights admin or something which would lead to the power having to be shut off to the ground.

Karmawave

Bench
I don't believe it, but I'm actually going to agree with you on this as well Karma. What's going on today? :crazy:

It's the all new improved positive me. :shock:

:lol:

Seriously though, its great for the Knights.

But the entire effort will go all to waste if there isn't a MASSIVE promotion letting everyone know that she'll be performing at the game.

Knights marketing staff, don't let the opportunity slip - do your job.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

One of my gripes about the Knights and their fans is that there aren't enough 15-25 year olds who go to the games. Sure, you've got some, but comparitively with just about every other club in the competition, our fans are the older folk. While I don't have a problem with the "more mature people", I think one way of getting atmosphere back at EAS obviously starts with a winning/competitive team, but it also continues with having a younger generation there. Although, in saying that, we don't want to be like the Sharks where there's drunk 17-18 year olds at the ground every Saturday night.

Problem is, so many clubs have spent so long trying to deter the 15-25 age group from going to games because a minority cause trouble.

Everything you've said is correct but we're victims of society.

macavity

Referee
it is possible that Mauboy wouldn't have cost a heap - she is apparently a massive Knights fan.

Frederick

Staff member
Maybe the Knights could have a "house band", one that plays in breaks during play, or when a try is scored (to replace the tape of the players nominated song). Another option is to have theme days, like "dozen egg" day or "free range chicken" day.

If these ideas worked in BASEketball, I'm sure as hell they'll work for us ;-)

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know I'm devestated whenever I fork out hard earned money to attend a football game and the pre-game entertainment isn't directed by Stephen Spielberg, with music provided by Danny Elfman, and starring Russel Crowe as a plucky accountant and Scarlett Johannsen as his faithful but vague bookie.

Frederick

Staff member
Spielberg? Pff

What would REALLY bring the crowds back is a half time show directed by Michael Bay

Karmawave

Bench
I know I'm devestated whenever I fork out hard earned money to attend a football game and the pre-game entertainment isn't directed by Stephen Spielberg, with music provided by Danny Elfman, and starring Russel Crowe as a plucky accountant and Scarlett Johannsen as his faithful but vague bookie.

So the Knights should only cater to fans who go to watch the game of rugby league?

Not try to attract part time/casual fans who may go for a family or group day out?

Congratulations, Mis, your approach makes you eligible for a place on the Knights board with the perfect attitude to run the $3M in debt Newcastle Knights ;-)

Joker's Wild

Coach
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=10959

KNIGHTS SNARE JESSICA MAUBOY

Friday, March 27, 2009
It has been confirmed, Australian Idol alumni Jessica Mauboy will perform at the Knights first home game of the season, next Sunday 5 April at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
Mauboy will warm up the crowd with songs from her hit album, 'Been Waiting', before the Knights come face to face with defending Premiers, the Manly Sea Eagles.
Kids and adults alike will have to opportunity to dance and sing along to Mauboy’s chart topping singles ‘Burn’ and ‘Running Back’ .
Mauboy’s appearance at the Knights home game will conclude with a very special rendition of the Australian National Anthem.
Other game day entertainment will include performances from the Knights dance cheer squad and stunt cheer squad.
a href="http://proticket.com.au/event.asp?eventid=154"> Tickets are on sale now!

:hg: Jess

Shes a talented artist (although not in my tastes), lovely to look at and best of all she is a huge Knights fan.