What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer > Johns: no contest

Johns Magic

Referee
JWs ...or JayDubs ... we used to use the term affectionately for people in a religion. The term has now been HIJACKED by another religion!!

Joey Worshipers!!!

Just as zealous as the other JWs, these people are besotted by the image of a footballing god, crafted carefully by the NSW spin doctors and Gus Gould.

JWs chant one phrase over and over ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005 ... Game 2, 2005

Haha, I thought you'd try and change the topic. Doing it by making an idiotic, lame and unoriginal joke that you've made several times before was at short odds.

It's believed that even if Darren Lockyer led the Queensland team to five series wins, they still would not admit Lockyer has been a greater influence at State of Origin level than their precious Joey.

Everyone here has already said that you f**king dipstick. I know that chip on your shoulder makes anything good anyone else says about Lockyer invisible though. You've got to keep that fire alight inside I guess, if you realised that no one actually disagrees with you then you'd just have nothing left to motivate you in life.

Now can you tell us which one it was that you were Daz? You seem to have conveniently not addressed the question again.

Are you a liar, or were you just trying to use a big word to impress people but didn't actually understand what it meant? We know you're good at avoiding questions, but really this one needs no reply from you. You've lost all credibility either way.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
MacGill outbowled Warne in every match they played together... this doesn't mean that much, there are so many other factors in sport. Similarly, i doubt individual performances in Lockyer V Johns should be taken into account without intense scrutiny. There isn't much to add to this thread, its all been discussed. However one thing that hasn't been mentioned is Lockyer's performances for the Kangaroos... i remember the 03 tour of England, we won 3-0, but all those games were incredibly close... including a come from behind win set up by Lockyer in the last + add to the countless other performances where Lockyer has been an absolutely inspirational leader of the national side...

Dazzat

First Grade
Haha, I thought you'd try and change the topic. Doing it by making an idiotic, lame and unoriginal joke that you've made several times before was at short odds.

Everyone here has already said that you f**king dipstick. I know that chip on your shoulder makes anything good anyone else says about Lockyer invisible though. You've got to keep that fire alight inside I guess, if you realised that no one actually disagrees with you then you'd just have nothing left to motivate you in life.

Now can you tell us which one it was that you were Daz? You seem to have conveniently not addressed the question again.

Are you a liar, or were you just trying to use a big word to impress people but didn't actually understand what it meant? We know you're good at avoiding questions, but really this one needs no reply from you. You've lost all credibility either way.

I love you ... I always have.

Johns Magic

Referee
I love you ... I always have.

Didn't think you'd have the guts to answer. I guess this just proves that you are in fact a lying, gutless idiot.

I expect another PM from you titled "Please Stop" filtering into my inbox again soon :lol:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Cronk and Prince obviously, with Thurston being able to shift into five eigth.

Ask ANTiLag, he'd tell you they'd do a much better job than Locky.

Aye. Still do. Although I do feel a little dirty Pete is using my argument that he does not agree with to proove his own point. Good work Pete!

AuDragon

Juniors
Aye. Still do. Although I do feel a little dirty Pete is using my argument that he does not agree with to proove his own point. Good work Pete!
Seriously, you normally try to use logic and reasoning when you argue your opinions, but when it comes to Locky that all goes out the door. What has the man done to you, did he dump your sister or something? :roll:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Hey dragon - I noticed you corrected my "typo" the other day. Yes I do utilise logic and reasoning - you subjectively or objectively rate Locky - I do not, however. From that subjective or objective view point we can reason it out and make it as objective as we can. I have done this in many threads and given my reasons. I think Cronk and Thurston is the better combo for origin. I remember pre 2006 and I remember 2008. You will disagree no matter how persuasive I try to be.

Lets just agree we follow the men in maroon and support them all on game day. I do support Lockyer when he is wearing the maroon because I support the team.

AuDragon

Juniors
Hey dragon - I noticed you corrected my "typo" the other day. Yes I do utilise logic and reasoning - you subjectively or objectively rate Locky - I do not, however. From that subjective or objective view point we can reason it out and make it as objective as we can. I have done this in many threads and given my reasons. I think Cronk and Thurston is the better combo for origin. I remember pre 2006 and I remember 2008. You will disagree no matter how persuasive I try to be.

Lets just agree we follow the men in maroon and support them all on game day. I do support Lockyer when he is wearing the maroon because I support the team.
As you can see from my join date, I don't think I've ever seen the actual reasoning behind your opinion.
As for the typo, I think even you will agree that Locky deserved that mention, after all he was unanimously considered the best player on the park...

Pre 2006 was when he just moved from a FB to 5/8. You can't expect anyone to marvel immediatily.
2009 was the year he came back from a nasty knee operation. The type that takes 18 months to genuinely recover from, as it shows this year.

Which brings me to the following: I rate Cronk highly, higher than Prince even, but he'll just have to wait in the queue for this Lockyer and Thurston.

Finally, to try to remain a bit on topic... As far as halves are concerned in the Origin arena, this is my opinion (arguably biased):

Lewis > Langer > Lockyer > Thurston > Johns. (Lockyer very, very close to Langer)

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lewis > Langer > Lockyer > Thurston > Johns. (Lockyer very, very close to Langer)

Lewis>Thurston>Kenny>Fittler/Daley>Langer/Johns>Lockyer

You can read my views on Lockyer in Broncos or interstate thread titled Lockyer to play SOO footy again. Think it was May.

Seriously - Langer without Lewis suceeded in 1998. That was a long wait from 1991! Even then - he came back from England for a drawn series and a one off win. I think Thurston has out achieved Langer at Origin. Johns - skilful player - but just did not contribute to many series wins at halfback. 3 at most I think.

Thurston has simply dominated the game picking up where Wally left off. He is the goto man when in trouble, now. Unlike Lockyer who was the goto man - Thurston gets the job done.

AuDragon

Juniors
Lewis>Thurston>Kenny>Fittler/Daley>Langer/Johns>Lockyer

You can read my views on Lockyer in Broncos or interstate thread titled Lockyer to play SOO footy again. Think it was May.

Seriously - Langer without Lewis suceeded in 1998. That was a long wait from 1991! Even then - he came back from England for a drawn series and a one off win. I think Thurston has out achieved Langer at Origin. Johns - skilful player - but just did not contribute to many series wins at halfback. 3 at most I think.

Thurston has simply dominated the game picking up where Wally left off. He is the goto man when in trouble, now. Unlike Lockyer who was the goto man - Thurston gets the job done.

I get the impression that you over-emphasise the physical aspect in detriment of the less visible things in the game.
Lockyer's ability to read the plays and his speed to pounce on weaknesses from the adversary is superior to anyone I've ever seen on a footy field. That will more often than not, win you games!
I also think his leadership and composure under pressure is absolutely brilliant.
No one has decided a game in the "crunch" moments more often than him for all the above reasons.
Thurston and Johns do have the edge on Locky as far as the technical / physical prowess are concerned, but he leaves them behind in the other aspects, which are as decisive, if not more.

Anyway, I'm happy to agree to disagree with you! :cool:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I get the impression that you over-emphasise the physical aspect in detriment of the less visible things in the game.

If I rate Thurston and Kenny how am I rating the physical aspect?

Lockyer's ability to read the plays and his speed to pounce on weaknesses from the adversary is superior to anyone I've ever seen on a footy field. That will more often than not, win you games!
Thurston has him hands down here.

I also think his leadership and composure under pressure is absolutely brilliant.
Before Thurston stood up and won series for Qld Lockyers "brilliant" captaincy and composure in defeat annoyed me.

No one has decided a game in the "crunch" moments more often than him for all the above reasons.
Thurston 2006-10 Lewis 80's.

Thurston and Johns do have the edge on Locky as far as the technical / physical prowess are concerned,
True
but he leaves them behind in the other aspects, which are as decisive, if not more.
2008 - Lockyer not necessary. Thank you come again.

Maybe you just like the fact Lockyer continuously kicks the ball dead - ch9 think its a strategy to keep the fullback out of the game.
Anyway, I'm happy to agree to disagree with you! :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts