What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer Lovefest

gUt

Coach
There's a team called the Lions/Suns? That's a strange name. Is it a merger?

Knightmare

Coach
It depends. If they do terribly then they may as well not exist. If they win the AFL Premiership then they definitely exist and prove that Qlders rule sport and are God's chosen people.

Mr Fourex

Bench
It depends. If they do terribly then they may as well not exist. If they win the AFL Premiership then they definitely exist and prove that Qlders rule sport and are God's chosen people.

:roll:.......moron.

Sif we need a game of fumble ball to prove what's already a known fact.

SoOQLD6inaRowLithoV4.jpg

Big Pete

Referee
Lockyer is a great player who's had a fantastic career worth the celebrations. Every player who has a career such as Lockyer deserves these celebrations.

dogslife

Coach
Lockyer is a great player who's had a fantastic career worth the celebrations. Every player who has a career such as Lockyer deserves these celebrations.

I think that's the point a lot of people are trying to make. While I don't agree he is the greatest I've ever seen, Lockyer is no doubt one of the all time greats, and deserves a special send off, but there must be some Broncos fan out there that agrees it's gone over the top. The point some (not all) people are making is that there are a lot of other great players who've had remarkable careers who didn't get this sort of send off (Johns, Fittler, Ettinghausen and the list goes on). - Cue Broncos/Lockyer fanboy response...

Big Pete

Referee
You'd have to have a short memory when it came to those celebrations, especially when it comes to Freddy.

Joey and ET is different, they never had an official last game, they both bowed out rather anti-climatically.

blaza88z

Coach
I think that's the point a lot of people are trying to make. While I don't agree he is the greatest I've ever seen, Lockyer is no doubt one of the all time greats, and deserves a special send off, but there must be some Broncos fan out there that agrees it's gone over the top. The point some (not all) people are making is that there are a lot of other great players who've had remarkable careers who didn't get this sort of send off (Johns, Fittler, Ettinghausen and the list goes on). - Cue Broncos/Lockyer fanboy response...

I think it went over the top when they started building into games with the headline:

"Locky's last game in Sydney"

I can understand the hype around him breaking the record for most games, I can also understand them building up the round 26 game as his last home/away game because what if the Bronco's didn't make the top 4 but now they've gone on and will have had a minimum of 2 more home games after the round 26 game, I can see why people are sick of it but he has been what the bronco's are all about for a very long time, he will be missed undoubtedly and has shown loyalty like none other when he probably could of gone overseas and earned double (even in the latter of his career)

if your club had a champion player similar to what Lockyer has achieved you'd all want the same thing and those who don't aren't being realistic, look at the hype around El Masri when he broke the record for the most goals or whatever it was, the guy wasn't even an above average player, an above average goalkicker yes but I don't think players get recruited into the 25 for goal kicking alone, not in this sport anyway

I just think for the past month we've had home game after home game, all of which have been televised on free to air and the league lovers watch it (as it is on free to air) and get sick of hearing about Lockyer and let's be honest the bronco's have the best success rate at making the finals so obviously there will be haters

personally I hate those saying "the refs will make sure Locky gets his send off", as a supporter i'd like to think my team won because they were the best team on the day, not because of some conspiracy to see to it that Locky gets his fairytale finish

haters gonna hate

Big Pete

Referee
blaza88z said:
personally I hate those saying "the refs will make sure Locky gets his send off", as a supporter i'd like to think my team won because they were the best team on the day, not because of some conspiracy to see to it that Locky gets his fairytale finish

It's usually coming from the worst contributors so there's nothing to be worried about.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
You'd have to have a short memory when it came to those celebrations, especially when it comes to Freddy.

Joey and ET is different, they never had an official last game, they both bowed out rather anti-climatically.

NRL couldn't even give us a Sunday game for Beaver's last game at Brookie!

Hutty1986

Immortal
More qld jerking.

Derp, we are da sporting capital of de woprld, we won da rugby comp no one on LU gives a flying f*ck about and da netball! Yee-haw!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have no point to make, it is simply an observation.

Qlders love Darren....more than Petro, Webcke et al.

Darren is up with Wally...........then there is a step down to the likes of Mal, Alfie, Choppy, Petro etc etc.

I was just sharing with the NSW folkes who would not see the worship that goes on up here.

If Darren ran for Premier, I reckon he would win.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The greatest player since Wally Lewis deserves the send off he has been getting.
If any of the plebs commenting here against it had a player at their club that had achieved what he has they would want the same. that however is impossible because NO PLAYER has ever come close to what he has done.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Could not give a f**k about him. Honestly, I didn't mind him up until he made that "rapist" joke against the Bulldogs back in '04... and then BANG. Karma struck him and the Broncos 4-5 years later!

*Waits for Lockyer-Wankfest backlash*

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I have no point to make, it is simply an observation.

Qlders love Darren....more than Petro, Webcke et al.

Darren is up with Wally...........then there is a step down to the likes of Mal, Alfie, Choppy, Petro etc etc.

I was just sharing with the NSW folkes who would not see the worship that goes on up here.

If Darren ran for Premier, I reckon he would win.

I truly see the upper echelon of Queensland Rugby League players being Duncan Thompson, Wally Lewis, Mal Meninga and Darren Lockyer. Their deeds are similar in stature and in Meninga's case, he's contributed so much as coach now too. Then comes any other player you care to mention.

Could not give a f**k about him. Honestly, I didn't mind him up until he made that "rapist" joke against the Bulldogs back in '04... and then BANG. Karma struck him and the Broncos 4-5 years later!

*Waits for Lockyer-Wankfest backlash*

Nice fishing. Too bad noone gives a shit because most people would have you on block because you're a proven wankstain.

gUt

Coach
I truly see the upper echelon of Queensland Rugby League players being Duncan Thompson, Wally Lewis, Mal Meninga and Darren Lockyer. Their deeds are similar in stature and in Meninga's case, he's contributed so much as coach now too. Then comes any other player you care to mention.

Personally I'd have Langer in that list too.

Look, don't blame the Queensland public, or the Broncos, or Darren himself for the hyperbole. Blame Channel 9/The Courier Mail/Fox Sports. They are the ones who need to fan the flames of all this. They have hijacked and commercialized Qld RL fans' respect and admiration for one of our finest. No one is walking around screaming for more Lockyer replays or more Lockyer stories or wondering what the next D-List Channel 9 celebrity thinks about him.

The commercial media feeds off sensationalism; we all know that. This is just another chance for them to whip up a storm. Try to separate Locky the man and all he's achieved on the field from the media shitstorm that's riding his coat tails.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Nice fishing. Too bad noone gives a shit because most people would have you on block because you're a proven wankstain.
Darren Lockyer, our national captain, made a comment so derogatory, that he was forced to apologise to the Bulldogs and revoke the comment he made. As I said mate, I had no problem with him up until that point, and I still would have no problem with him now had he not said it in the first place. That aside, I'm sure if someone from any other club said something like that about the Broncos you wouldn't be too thrilled about it either.

Latest posts