What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOL @ Manly!!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
so every club should abandon juniors and just poach players?

if every club does that then where will the future players come from?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
keep looking

there might be one somewhere

just not in Manly

Yeah we have no juniors thats why Parramatta signed up 5 manly juniors in the off season the 3 hopoate brothers luke vescio & joey lussick & are chasing hard for darcy lussick. LOL:lol:

Don't even need to say anything anymore. You can argue with quotes :D

Nice Beaver

First Grade
El D is spot on though, NB just can't admit it.

Mate refer to my previous posts on the issue. Not rehashing the whole thing again.

Basically having a f*ck load of juniors is his only criterea for entry to the NRL evidently. I would argue having a team that can actually play decent footy should also help.

How a club can sit in the prime breeding ground of league and continually underperform is amazing. But yeah, you're right - it's Manly's fault.....

But like I said feel free to read the whole thread for my views. If you already have then we'll just agree to disagree.

supera

Juniors
the manly situation reinforces a long-held view of mine:

it shouldn't be the case that as soon as clubs have success and their players become elite that they lose them all.

origin is a cash cow... elite players who represent their state should be rewarded for Origin caps a lot more than they are now - i'm talking $50k a game.

there will still be mercenaries, but if DCE can rake in $150k playing for Qld this year, then his pay packet almost ceases to be an issue.

i'm a bit torn on this DCE situation. i know he's massively underpaid - but where's the benefit to the club for taking a punt on a kid who had proved nothing and giving him a three year deal, only for him to want to re-do the deal when he achieves something?

they won't do it in future. if players are going to hold a gun to the clubs head as soon as they show they can play, clubs won't be so keen to give opportunities. instead of a kid getting a 3 year deal with 80k guaranteed, they'll get one year at 80k, and in the vast majority of cases the NRL system will chew them up and spit them out after a year if they can't "make it" that quickly.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Mate refer to my previous posts on the issue. Not rehashing the whole thing again.

Basically having a f*ck load of juniors is his only criterea for entry to the NRL evidently. I would argue having a team that can actually play decent footy should also help.

How a club can sit in the prime breeding ground of league and continually underperform is amazing. But yeah, you're right - it's Manly's fault.....

But like I said feel free to read the whole thread for my views. If you already have then we'll just agree to disagree.

He did also talk about bringing ratings to the table. Parra do that quite well. Sure, we haven't won shit all for nearly 30 years now, but we still have twice as many fans as Manly. And, you guys do have North Sydney aswell that you could invest in support and juniors.

Congrats on being Premiers. Honestly. You're right, being successful on the footy field does help. The only flaw in that is, because of the salary cap, every team will/should get a turn at being at the top and our time will come at some point. Just like Manly will get a turn at being at the bottom. And when that happens, when Manly become as unsuccessful as Cronulla or Parra have been for the last few years, what do you fall back on than? The juniors you bring to the table? The support you bring?

firechild

First Grade
Tezza,

You have twice as many fans because the area has more than twice the population. North Sydney argument is completely invalid because the area is covered with butthurt Bears fans who would rather follow the Broncos than Manly. It'll take a while before Manly can attempt to tap into that supporter base. Salary caps have been in place for quite some time and while they should be making things an even playing field teams like Manly and Brisbane continue to win premierships while Parra, Souths and Cronulla continue to win nothing. Assuming that Manly will hit the bottom is wishful thinking because Manly have been making grand finals regularly through the entire period salary caps have been in place.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Just like Manly will get a turn at being at the bottom. And when that happens, when Manly become as unsuccessful as Cronulla or Parra have been for the last few years, what do you fall back on than? The juniors you bring to the table? The support you bring?

Hopefully by that time, both Parra and the Dogs will both have the salary cap issues we currently have, and we can walk in and take what we need from their tier 2, and breed the next generation of premiership winners.

You should have a good look at the Bulldogs though. Like us then know how to build a premiership team. I don't like them, but they are good at what they do. Meanwhile your club is too busy worrying about the $450k exit clause on your coaches contract. I guess at least you should be proud, you actually did pinch one of our few local products last year. Even if you don't get to see him for a few seasons.

El Diablo

Post Whore
sure

is that why you paid him $200,000 as a Toyota Cup player?

your club should spend money like that developing their own

if Parra decided to do a Manly and quit developing juniors then your club would die quicker than it will eventually once Penn pulls the plug

Nice Beaver

First Grade
sure

is that why you paid him $200,000 as a Toyota Cup player?

your club should spend money like that developing their own

if Parra decided to do a Manly and quit developing juniors then your club would die quicker than it will eventually once Penn pulls the plug

:lol: $200,000 for Tony Williams!! As you always crap on - source?? I assume you are talking a season? Because $200,000 over 3 years was a bloody bargain if that's what you mean.

What did your mob pay for Will Hopoate again? :lol::lol: Hypocrite.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Tell me again exactly how you are 'developing juniors'.... I'm not seeing any of that development on the field in the blue and gold. It seems to happen as soon as they go somewhere else to play. Having lots of junior clubs isn't the only part to having a first grade quality team. And that is something you can't really say the Eels have had consistantly in about 25 years.

El Diablo

Post Whore
your idea of developing is throwing money at other clubs juniors lol

prior to that you think their former club did nothing?

f**king genius

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
You think development ends once they hit Toyota Cup.

To imply you don't take juniors from other areas is absolute rubbish. You seem to throw money at talent across both Australia and NZ and draw it in and call it a junior. I did notice you have Luke Vescio in your Toyota Cup squad. Mona Vale junior I believe... So don't say you don't do it.