What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowes view on Yawnion

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
sanchez moreno said:
this was not a official match hence does not count its the equilvalent to a practice match with most of sa better players not playing
Then Wales vs England at the last RWC. Wales scored more tries, but England won off the boot of Wilkinson.

England's whole strategy in the last RWC was, in fact, to cart the ball within penalty range and wait to be given a shot.

Thomas

First Grade
salivor said:
IMO the 3 greatest things that union could ever do for their game would be:
1. Make penalty goals worth 1 point.
2. Make it that you can't kick out on the full in your own 22.
3. Make it that you can't touch it in goal for a 22 drop out.

They can still keep everything that makes union unique such as rucks/mauls, lineouts, competitive scrums etc while with these 3 simple rules completely revolusionising the game by encouraging attacking, positive rugby.

Nah...you need to be able to kick the ball out on the full from inside your 22m because if you can't, then the opposition will just keep kicking down there and pressuring.

Remember that if the fullback runs the ball back instead of kicking it and gets caught...he can't just get up and play the ball. The opposition will just steal the ball off him and run in for a try. I don't like passing back into the 22m though.

I'd like to see drop goals go to 1 or 2 points and penalty shots at goal that miss and go dead restart with a scrum from where the kick was taken. That would force the attackers to go for lineouts rather than penalties and reduce teams relying on a goal kicker who can kick 50+ metres.

If NZ's Dan Carter had missed that 63m attempt against SA a few weeks ago...the scrum would have been given to the defenders well inside the NZ half.

JJ

Immortal
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
You've got nothing.

Union matches are regularly dominated by penalty goals, League matches are not.

Union's kicking is mainly in touch on the full, League's isn't.

Not opinion, simple fact.

While agree on what the better game is

- union kicking is only out on the full when they kick from inside the 22
- Dominated by penalties is a bit strong, but union fans would say that league is dominated by one-out hit ups and tries from kicks...

League is much the better game IMO, but the pot-shots are pathetic. Lowe takes that approach for two reasons:
1. He's possibly the stupidest person in NZ, or at least the stupidest to have a regular newspaper column
2. Because of the arrogance of rah-rahs over here.

But, in all seriousness, Dan Carter is, in my opinion, Andrew Johns closest rival as the best all-round player in either code - he's got it all...

JJ said:
While agree on what the better game is

JJ said:
- union kicking is only out on the full when they kick from inside the 22

So, watch a few games and see where the majority of kicking is done from.

Inside the 1/4.

JJ said:
- Dominated by penalties is a bit strong, but union fans would say that league is dominated by one-out hit ups and tries from kicks...

Why is it strong?

Do you watch Union?

30 penalties in one match happens in Union and 20+ happens regularly. I don't think there's been an NRL match that had 30 penalties.

And I said penalty goals.

JJ said:
League is much the better game IMO, but the pot-shots are pathetic. Lowe takes that approach for two reasons:
1. He's possibly the stupidest person in NZ, or at least the stupidest to have a regular newspaper column
2. Because of the arrogance of rah-rahs over here.

Lowe is simply correct. That the vast majoirt of NZ'ers disagree with him is their problem.

JJ said:
But, in all seriousness, Dan Carter is, in my opinion, Andrew Johns closest rival as the best all-round player in either code - he's got it all...

Dan who?

He's a nuffy and not fit to tie Johnsy's shoelaces.

JJ

Immortal
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Dan who?

I'd suggest you watch more closely then - because Carter can do everything... 2nd only to Johns IMO

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Dan Carter can't do many things really well.

His passing accuracy is atrocious.... it's good by RU standards, where it wobbles and it slow...

But to put him alongside Johns or Tim Smtih who can do those straight, flat bullt passes on the chest, even on their weak hand.. pfft.

He is also an ineffective runner, he would have his rib cage destroyed in about 30 minutes of Rugby League.

salivor

First Grade
Dan Carter is overhyped by the NZ media, he can't hold a candle to the Andrew Johns' and Darren Lockyers of this world.

JJ

Immortal
salivor said:
Dan Carter is overhyped by the NZ media, he can't hold a candle to the Andrew Johns' and Darren Lockyers of this world.

well, Carter can tackle so that puts him ahead of Locky

again, perhaps you lot should watch Carter sometime... FFS, nuffy union players like Price, Gourley, Stuart, and even O'Connor made great league players... Carter is an absolute superstar... Tim smith - pffffftt

salivor

First Grade
Lockyer has been tackling brilliantly this year, even taken down Willie Mason on his own several times, like to see Carter try that. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice and watch him sometime.

When is the last time Carter played behind a beaten pack, has he ever had to? He plays behind the best pack in world in club rugby and behind the best pack in the world at international level. Put in an Australian jersey and see how he goes.

JJ

Immortal
:lol: pile of sh*t... our pack is not that wonderful... yes, it's better than than the Wallabies... but so is the Japanese pack FFS, Carter does everything very well, and invariably performs brilliantly in tight situations - get your head out of your arse

salivor

First Grade
Name me a better pack in world rugby? The All Blacks are so far ahead of the field it's not funny as are the Crusaders. So again I'll ask, when does Carter ever have to play behind a beaten pack or even in a team where he isn't surrounded by class in all positions?

Carter is a superstar.............in rugby. His skills are really only on par with several top line halves in league. Say what you like about Tim Smith but when on song his passing and kicking games can be just as good as Carters, and thats from a junior league half.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Exactly, Tim Smith has better passing skills, and has an equally good kicking game.

Andrew Johns' defence is up with Jerry Collins by RU standards, let alone Carter.

Carter has very poor passing skills, and this is from a RU system that can't still deploy decoy runners effectively.

salivor

First Grade
Yet he struggled to push out Andrew Merhtens from the All Blacks, was heavily critised after the Australian Semi final at the 2003 world cup and admitted to being heavily influenced by league and it showed. Give me the real thing anyday over cheap imitations like Spencer.

Latest posts