What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU - Greatest Drummer Of All Time

carcharias

Immortal
Listen to Probot, Them Crooked Vultures and QOTSA's Songs For The Deaf, he's actually a damned good drummer. It's just his work for Nirvana is entirely pedestrian.

no it's not.

He played his role in that music to perfection.

HevyDevy

Coach
Listen to Probot, Them Crooked Vultures and QOTSA's Songs For The Deaf, he's actually a damned good drummer. It's just his work for Nirvana is entirely pedestrian.

Yeah it's not that he is bad. Pretty much every drummer mentioned in this thread is good.

But there is a difference between a guy that just does a very good job - Grohl, Ringo etc - and a guy that takes it to another level such as Danny Carey and Vinnie Colauita.

carcharias

Immortal
depends on the actual music to.

why would you want some knob with a 80 piece drum kit paradiddling the bejesus out of a great pop/rock song.

less is more.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sully Erna - Lead singer of Godsmack, check out Batalla Les Tambores i think its called on youtube.

haven't seen someone play conga's etc so quickly and accurately before and then switch to a full drum kit.

Roger taylor, most diverse drummer and all round musician ever. Plays piano, acoustic, bass, drums, and can even sing.

HevyDevy

Coach
depends on the actual music to.

why would you want some knob with a 80 piece drum kit paradiddling the bejesus out of a great pop/rock song.

less is more.

I have two answers to that statement:

1) That's what they day when they can't do more

2) Not when 'less' is crap

HevyDevy

Coach
Dev.......I believe you are a drummer?

what would you have done different to grohl's drumming on Nevermind?

No I'm not really a drummer, I'm more of a drummer appreciator.

And I never said that Grohl did anything wrong. The music was pretty simple and he played accordingly. That's fine. I'm just saying that there are drummers that can do more and are often, as a result, far more interesting.

That's not to say that a highly skilled drummer should show off his full array simply for the sake of it - it's not always called for.

However, this thread is about the world's greatest drummer. To me an important aspect of that is talent. And if a drummer can't do what another drummer can do then it is clear that one of them is more talented than the other.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
toss up as to whether Charlie or Ringo were the worst drummers ever

carcharias

Immortal
toss up as to whether Charlie or Ringo were the worst drummers ever
charlie is meant to be one of the best ever in his day .

That is coming from Keiths book.
The stones had to pay him to join the band as he was in so much demand .
His timing is said to be near perfect.

Red Bear

Referee
TBF the role of the drummer in the rock/pop band didnt seem to evolve until metal came along in the later 60's/70's.

Jimmy Chamberlain is a bloody good drummer

Latest posts