What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

snickers007

Juniors
Reports from SMH that Roosters have re-signed Siua Wong for $850k per year for 2 years.

If a 20 year with 10 games under his belt is earning that kind of coin, I'm not sure how we can expect to lock up Romey for the same. The player market is crazy at the moment.

Apparently Wong had a bit of interest from NZ Rugby which drove his price up. Considering he's only signed until the end of 2026, wouldn't be surprised if the All Blacks have another crack at him before the 2027 World Cup.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Reports from SMH that Roosters have re-signed Siua Wong for $850k per year for 2 years.

If a 20 year with 10 games under his belt is earning that kind of coin, I'm not sure how we can expect to lock up Romey for the same. The player market is crazy at the moment.

Apparently Wong had a bit of interest from NZ Rugby which drove his price up. Considering he's only signed until the end of 2026, wouldn't be surprised if the All Blacks have another crack at him before the 2027 World Cup.
That reads as 850k over 2 years

maple_69

Bench
What most people seem to fail to acknowledge in this discussion is that Penrith have executed the only competent, patient and comprehensive rebuild of a club in modern NRL and Hook was a key piece of that. He had a heap of limitations for sure and was evidently never going to be the guy to take us over the top in retrospect. In 2015, Gould didn't go out and get the coach that would win us comps, but its pretty clear he did go out and get us a coach that was going to lay a few key foundations for it. He brought through a lot of kids (our current core) really well to continue to solidify that elite pathway set up. He established the hard nosed style and conditioning that is now the foundation of our success. He brought stability and allowed the club and key players the space to build properly without the pressure for miracle runs.

If other clubs had the sort of vision and stones to not pursue ultimate success immediately, they wouldn't be in the sort of vicious cycle they are in with coach turnover and subsequent constant roster recycling. Some guys can do a great job that's necessary, even if it isn't 'win premierships'. Hell Ivan was exactly that for us before he went away and continued growing and developing as a leader and coach. Hook and Gus absolutely contributed a stack to this club's success despite some obvious mistakes. Just as Kite, Tamou and Maloney did as the on field leaders of the club through the period immediately prior to our breakout success.

Kilkenny

Coach
What most people seem to fail to acknowledge in this discussion is that Penrith have executed the only competent, patient and comprehensive rebuild of a club in modern NRL and Hook was a key piece of that. He had a heap of limitations for sure and was evidently never going to be the guy to take us over the top in retrospect. In 2015, Gould didn't go out and get the coach that would win us comps, but its pretty clear he did go out and get us a coach that was going to lay a few key foundations for it. He brought through a lot of kids (our current core) really well to continue to solidify that elite pathway set up. He established the hard nosed style and conditioning that is now the foundation of our success. He brought stability and allowed the club and key players the space to build properly without the pressure for miracle runs.

If other clubs had the sort of vision and stones to not pursue ultimate success immediately, they wouldn't be in the sort of vicious cycle they are in with coach turnover and subsequent constant roster recycling. Some guys can do a great job that's necessary, even if it isn't 'win premierships'. Hell Ivan was exactly that for us before he went away and continued growing and developing as a leader and coach. Hook and Gus absolutely contributed a stack to this club's success despite some obvious mistakes. Just as Kite, Tamou and Maloney did as the on field leaders of the club through the period immediately prior to our breakout success.
Really good post. Well done.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’ve been thinking that will happen for a while

I won’t be shocked if a To’o and JAC swap is announced soon

Must have have been on too tight.

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

Last edited:

Black Panther

Juniors
It’s actually good Penrith have drawn a line in the sand and said this is what you will get with us if you stay. Far to many times in the past we have let negotiations gone on to long.
I hope he decides to stay, but if he chooses the money good luck to him.
The next man up policy has worked well for Penrith in the past, but this time it seems a little bit different. Luai needs Penrith s much as Penrith need him in my opinion.

MrBlack

Juniors
It’s actually good Penrith have drawn a line in the sand and said this is what you will get with us if you stay. Far to many times in the past we have let negotiations gone on to long.
I hope he decides to stay, but if he chooses the money good luck to him.
The next man up policy has worked well for Penrith in the past, but this time it seems a little bit different. Luai needs Penrith s much as Penrith need him in my opinion.

Reality is that Penrith know his options are reasonably limited.

To take the big money he will be playing for a struggling/rebuilding club like the Dragons or Tigers, where his overall profile becomes reduced, and he has to get used to not wining every week.

Maybe a more successful club like the Raiders have a bit of a go, but realistically he would not a good "culture fit".

Dogs, maybe... but surely they dont have the cap space to offer the $1m. asking price.

maple_69

Bench
The other side of this is the other guys we have off-contract. Hosking, Garner, Turuva, May, Kenny & Sommerton. All guys I think are in our best 17 next year. If Luai signs, I can't imagine we can afford many of those guys, or anyone on more than minimum for those roles in 2025. Which is fine, we have Hassett, Geyer, McLean, Cole, Alamoti who might be ready by then alongside some bargain pick ups, but if we do miss on Luai, it could well just be 1 out for 2025 that we have to replace.

Latest posts