What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

getsmarty

Immortal
Prior, Merrin, Leilua released to make immediate switches
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 30 Nov 2019, 08:05 AM

"Luciano indicated he wouldn't be renewing his contract with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season. As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money.

"Trent brings plenty of experience to the Dragons' forward pack and is someone who is really passionate and can't wait to put the Red V back on."

Tigers coach Michael Maguire believes he can get the best out of Leilua.

"I’m very pleased we’ve been able to secure a player with Luciano’s talent and potential for the future," Maguire said.

"He offers another dimension to our forward pack and gives us an added edge with his ball-playing and creativity.

"With more experience and time, I can see Luciano developing into a really strong player for this club and we’re all excited to see him take those next steps in his career here."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/30/prior-merrin-leilua-released-to-make-immediate-switches/

Dragon70

Juniors
Interesting that he indicated he would not re-sign with the club past 2020 season. So keeping him here for 1 more year added little value to our 2020 campaign. It how opens the door for young Ford or even Host to step up next year and cement a spot in the top 17.

Is this not pathways doing what it should be?
It makes a bit more sense with that quote

emu62

Juniors
Typical by our club trying to throw the blame at Luch. The question should be (if true ) why has he said this? In there lies our problem & as usual more of the deflection & spin game is used,,,,Again
IMO our club would make a great political party, they can spin it as good as anyone

Dragonsamy

Bench
Said to see him go but I would for 1.3 million for him. So good luck to him.
He will either be a superstar or in a couple of years he will be gone to esl. Imo

Last edited:
Luc needed more game time.

Mary sees him as merely an impact player.

May well reach his potential with a better coach.

In any case we have Tariq Sims, Tyson Frizell, Host and Jackson Ford so we have many options.

Best of luck Luc going forward.

Another junior leaves without reaching his potential. Our pathways system is flawed. No point having the juniors if we can't maximise their impact by properly developing them.

Dragon70

Juniors
It doesn't matter what was said by both parties it comes down to cold hard cash 425k a season.
At present he is nowhere near worth that type of money.
Time will tell whether it's a wise investment or not.
We have alot of money tied up in our pack.
We should of utilised his money on a decent outside back instead.

Dragsters

First Grade

In any case we have Tariq Sims, Tyson Frizell, Host and Jackson Ford so we have many options.

Another junior leaves without reaching his potential. Our pathways system is flawed. No point having the juniors if we can't maximise their impact by properly developing them.

Flawed indeed.

Time and time again failing at identifying promising juniors best positions and also how they would best suit playing in OUR team moving forward.

Fail & Fail.

With the talent pool we have at our disposal we have just gotta be better.

Good luck Luc. I for one believe you will prove good value to the tigers under Maguire and they might have got you for unders at $433k per season...

Forster Dragon

Juniors

We all know McGregor and his mate Millward are incompetent

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Leilua must have to be one of the unluckiest players ever..

He’s been cursed with a run of inept and incompetent assistant coaches his whole career..

Of course he can’t develop properly when he doesn’t have the stability of the same assistant working with him..

hermidale1

Juniors
Interesting that he indicated he would not re-sign with the club past 2020 season. So keeping him here for 1 more year added little value to our 2020 campaign. It how opens the door for young Ford or even Host to step up next year and cement a spot in the top 17.

Is this not pathways doing what it should be?
His exit is a couple of years overdue. He’s had an eye on the door and has shown by stating he wouldn’t re sign past 2020 and got an early release. He won’t be the last to leave if our coach is still here after 2020. Enter Sheperd and Flanagan to try and fix the rot.

giboz71

First Grade
Luc is pretty much in the same situation as all our young blokes. Same with Dufty, Field, Herbert Garrick etc.

Stay around and never reach your potential under our dipshit coach, or try your luck elsewhere. Garrick showed what a change of coach and club could achieve.

I'm guessing Luc is hoping for something similar.

Gareth67

First Grade
Geeze I am sick of this crap - let’s get to the heart of the matter , the biggest stumbling block that is preventing any players success at the Dragons and more importantly the St.Gorge Illawarra side - it’s the useless coach whom is allowed to continue in that capacity although he is a proven failure .

They , the J.V’s hierarchy simply will not pay this man out , now whether that is because of a lack of finances or what ever , if they will not sack him drop him to the lower grade side and promote whomever to the 1sts , I don’t care of it is tweedle dee or his brother tweedle dumb - as either would be an improvement upon Mary .

Furthermore , I realize that B.Gordon has nothing to do with the running of the football club (?) but nevertheless one would think that he would do the right thing and give the J.V. the money to pay out McGregor and the J.V. could repay Gordon the loan when their financial situation improved.

Of course I realize that I have missed some basic points with my solution to this problem , however surely there is someone at the Dragons who could polish my idea and bring it to fruition.

Last edited:

Dragonsamy

Bench
Geeze I am sick of this crap - let’s get to the heart of the matter , the biggest stumbling block that is preventing any players success at the Dragons and more importantly the St.Gorge Illawarra side - it’s the useless coach whom is allowed to continue in that capacity as the teams brains mentor.

They , the J.V’s hierarchy simply will not pay this man out , now whether that is because of a lack of finances or what ever , if they will not sack him drop him to the lower grade side and promote whomever to the 1sts , I don’t care of it is tweedle dee or his brother tweedle dumb - as either would be an improvement upon Mary .

Furthermore , I realize that B.Gordon has nothing to do with the running of the football club (?) but nevertheless one would think that he would do the right thing and give the J.V. the money to pay out McGregor and the J.V. could repay Gordon the loan when their financial situation improved.

Of course I realize that I have missed some basic points with my solution to this problem , however surely there is someone at the Dragons who could polish my idea and bring it it fruition.

Gareth you make a lot of since. But part of the boy's club they cover each other's arse

Last edited:

Latest posts