What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

SBD82

Coach
Point form might be easier sorry about the jumbled order.
  1. If he didn't balloon out how is it he had to lose 10% and what body weight is he going to now play at?
  2. If he didn't ballon out then he was obviously overweight last year to have to lose weight this year or am I wrong in assuming this?
  3. Luc may well end up in the middle that's why I included TPJ and I rate all 3 of the Broncos forwards as having shown more in a brief time than Luc has shown over what is now a fair bit more time than people give credit for. I also think they are all a bit tougher and keener than Luc.
  4. Yep I would trade him for any one of them and would then depending on who we got re jig the rest of our forward pack.
  5. I really want Luc to succeed but IMO he has to do much more, more often and have a thread that talks about what he is doing week in week out and not about the few great things he does now and then. In simple terms posts that have no excuses attached to them.
  6. Re Host, I am somewhat a fan of him. I am not sure he has been properly developed or utilised but he is a good honest footballer who doesn't shirk his workload and is also a player that is badly under utilised in attack. He is a good hole runner with very good PC metres in him but unfortunately our halves don't seem to be able to understand that and that is also applicable to their usage of Frizz.
  7. Re the Broncos starting edge spots going to Alex Glenn and Jaydn Sua it is a fair point but I also believe that the Broncos coach leaves our for dead in how to read your opposition and get the best make up for your team for that game. I believe the Bronco's starting team might change a fair bit depending on who they play.
My understanding (from what Samy posted) is that Luc returned to training last year at 130kgs. This year he returned in better condition, and is currently at 112kg. So yes, he was overweight last year, and what I’m saying is that he has improved his maturity and application. He deserves praise for that IMO.

With how good he was last year, particularly as he built his game fitness over the season, I’m excited to see how he goes from a better starting point.

With regard to the Broncos, you make a fair assessment of their players. I disagree here and there but probably not enough to get stuck into it with you.

I will say that I wouldn’t trade Tariq or Friz for any of the young blokes that you’ve mentioned. Love them both and they are proven. If it were as simple as a trade of Luc for one of them, I’d likely take it, but the money factor would mean that it would be more complex than that.

If for example, if you had a choice between Vaughan and Luc or TPJ and Latimore, which way would you go?

Old Timer

Coach
My understanding (from what Samy posted) is that Luc returned to training last year at 130kgs. This year he returned in better condition, and is currently at 112kg. So yes, he was overweight last year, and what I’m saying is that he has improved his maturity and application. He deserves praise for that IMO.

With how good he was last year, particularly as he built his game fitness over the season, I’m excited to see how he goes from a better starting point.

With regard to the Broncos, you make a fair assessment of their players. I disagree here and there but probably not enough to get stuck into it with you.

I will say that I wouldn’t trade Tariq or Friz for any of the young blokes that you’ve mentioned. Love them both and they are proven. If it were as simple as a trade of Luc for one of them, I’d likely take it, but the money factor would mean that it would be more complex than that.

If for example, if you had a choice between Vaughan and Luc or TPJ and Latimore, which way would you go?
Vaughan & Luc hands down.
I wouldn't trade Frizz or Tariq either but at the end of the season it might be very different as age and longevity will come into it.
Playing Dragons power footy does take its toll on the big guys and I expect to see some real injury time this year if coach persists with it.
One big question for us this year is what happens with James Graham?
I am not sure which way the option is slanted but if in our favour then I would pass but if in his favour would question how we came up with that scenario.

SBD82

Coach
Vaughan & Luc hands down.
I wouldn't trade Frizz or Tariq either but at the end of the season it might be very different as age and longevity will come into it.
Playing Dragons power footy does take its toll on the big guys and I expect to see some real injury time this year if coach persists with it.
One big question for us this year is what happens with James Graham?
I am not sure which way the option is slanted but if in our favour then I would pass but if in his favour would question how we came up with that scenario.
Has it truly only been one year that we’ve had Graham? I can no longer picture him in anything other than a Red V.

I don’t know who the option in his contract favours, but from what I’ve seen of Graham, he’s not the sort of bloke who will run around again if there’s any chance of him letting down his teammates. So I’m not too stressed.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think everyone would agree that fitness improves with each game (barring injury of course) and this is what Dragonsamy was referring to with regards to Leilua. In fact it applies to all players.

Leilua dropping so much in weight can be seen as both positive and negative imo. Positive of course is his ability to endure in a game and hopefully increase his speed. Negitively, losing too much weight can impact on strength, and part of Leilua's strength is his ability to break tackles. In saying that, 112kg seems about an ideal weight for a forward (112-115) as long as strength, speed and endurance can be obtained or maintained.

If I remember correctly, Leilua last year (start of the season) was basking in his own headlines, even smoking etc. It took a whole year to get him right and it showed in the final few games we played, especially the semi V the Broncos. If his mind is right and his game is on, he will be one of the most damaging forwards in the game and coming from the bench, maybe given 20 mins each side of half-time will create something for us. Starting him (and I'm really glad that Host is starting) would be a mistake and would dull his skills. I can (sort of) understand the thinking of also having Dufty on the bench and using him in the same capacity, with Duff running off Leilua, both fresh on the paddock against tired or 2nd tier forwards (this is the only explanation for having Dufty in the 17 imo).

Dragonsamy

Bench
This one?

It says nothing about him being “not yet fit”.

It says that “he’s getting fitter and fitter”.

The process of losing weight and maintaining fitness is a delicate one. Obviously Luc needed to strip a lot of fat, which, regardless of the amount of exercise that is being done, is impossible to do without reducing calorie intake.

Reduction in calorie intake will have an effect on energy levels, which can impact fitness. So it’s usually a maintenance process while losing the weight.

From reading Samy’s post, it seems that he has gone through the weight loss, remained fit, and is getting fitter and fitter.

SBD
Spot on.
Exactly how it goes.
The same with putting weight on and bulking up.

Last edited:

Dragonsamy

Bench
Just to add - match fitness is important, and builds over time on top of base level fitness,especially for forwards. Guys like Nathan Brown at the Eels, or Taumalolo, or Fifita, often increase their minutes gradually through a season. That doesn’t mean they weren’t terrifyingly fit to start with. That was how I took Dragonsamy’s post, that Luc has gotten himself to the base level needed and with game time will build it over time.

Exactly Damo
At this time last year he didn't have that base fitness this year he has.

Old Timer

Coach
Exactly Damo
At this time last year he didn't have that base fitness this year he has.
Samy
Can you share your thoughts on these.
  1. What is the playing weight they are trying to get Luc to?
  2. How heavy was he last year when he returned to training?
  3. How heavy was he at the end of the 2018 season?
  4. How heavy was he this year when he returned to training?
  5. Were there goals set for him during the off season and did he meet them?
  6. Out of the all the forwards named for 1st grade this week plus Kerr, Timms, Blacker, Ford minus Mc Inness so that's 12 players on a 1 - 12 basis who would be the fittest?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Point form might be easier sorry about the jumbled order.
  1. If he didn't balloon out how is it he had to lose 10% and what body weight is he going to now play at?
  2. If he didn't ballon out then he was obviously overweight last year to have to lose weight this year or am I wrong in assuming this?
  3. Luc may well end up in the middle that's why I included TPJ and I rate all 3 of the Broncos forwards as having shown more in a brief time than Luc has shown over what is now a fair bit more time than people give credit for. I also think they are all a bit tougher and keener than Luc.
  4. Yep I would trade him for any one of them and would then depending on who we got re jig the rest of our forward pack.
  5. I really want Luc to succeed but IMO he has to do much more, more often and have a thread that talks about what he is doing week in week out and not about the few great things he does now and then. In simple terms posts that have no excuses attached to them.
  6. Re Host, I am somewhat a fan of him. I am not sure he has been properly developed or utilised but he is a good honest footballer who doesn't shirk his workload and is also a player that is badly under utilised in attack. He is a good hole runner with very good PC metres in him but unfortunately our halves don't seem to be able to understand that and that is also applicable to their usage of Frizz.
  7. Re the Broncos starting edge spots going to Alex Glenn and Jaydn Sua it is a fair point but I also believe that the Broncos coach leaves our for dead in how to read your opposition and get the best make up for your team for that game. I believe the Bronco's starting team might change a fair bit depending on who they play.
If I was coaching Brisbane and everyone was fit and available. Pangai would be my starting lock and Fifita would be the first secondrower I picked. They are both 2 of the best forward prospects in the game and so is Haas. There are big wraps on Sua too. I think if we were in Brisbane's position, many on this forum would be very critical of the coach selecting Glen ahead of Fifita for game one. I would be.

If I was coaching us, Lucky would be one of my starting secondrowers. I think Lucky has the potential to be the best forward in our pack. I actually like what Mary said regarding Lucky, something like he wanted him to focus on his defence and and his attack will come.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I rate Tariq and Sims extremely highly, but I would take both TPJ and Fifita over both of them. Tariq and Friz may be better and more seasoned right now, but by next season at the latest, both TPJ and Fifita will be better.

George Dragon

Juniors

Luch was never 130kg
He was 125kg in 2017 and finished around 120
He started the 2018 season @ 113kg.
He around the same wieght this year but fitter.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think everyone would agree that fitness improves with each game (barring injury of course) and this is what Dragonsamy was referring to with regards to Leilua. In fact it applies to all players.

Leilua dropping so much in weight can be seen as both positive and negative imo. Positive of course is his ability to endure in a game and hopefully increase his speed. Negitively, losing too much weight can impact on strength, and part of Leilua's strength is his ability to break tackles. In saying that, 112kg seems about an ideal weight for a forward (112-115) as long as strength, speed and endurance can be obtained or maintained.

If I remember correctly, Leilua last year (start of the season) was basking in his own headlines, even smoking etc. It took a whole year to get him right and it showed in the final few games we played, especially the semi V the Broncos. If his mind is right and his game is on, he will be one of the most damaging forwards in the game and coming from the bench, maybe given 20 mins each side of half-time will create something for us. Starting him (and I'm really glad that Host is starting) would be a mistake and would dull his skills. I can (sort of) understand the thinking of also having Dufty on the bench and using him in the same capacity, with Duff running off Leilua, both fresh on the paddock against tired or 2nd tier forwards (this is the only explanation for having Dufty in the 17 imo).
I disagree with you that Lucky dropping to 112kg will diminish his strength. If he is getting stuck into the weights, he could even be improving his strength while losing weight.

The Damo

Juniors
I rate Tariq and Sims extremely highly, but I would take both TPJ and Fifita over both of them. Tariq and Friz may be better and more seasoned right now, but by next season at the latest, both TPJ and Fifita will be better.
It’ll take longer than that I reckon. Especially to maintain it for a full season. TPJ is a gun, but he’s gonna need to get his hamstrings sorted out to reach his potential. Plus it’ll take him a while to get over the psychological scars from Sims completely owning him in the final last year.

How you can believe that a bloke who has lost 20% of his body weight lacks dedication is beyond me. That’s an immense effort and I think he and the performance staff should be commended for it.

I’ve also had some fears about the Kasiano comparison. I think the difference may be that Luc’s game has more of a skillful aspect and is on the edge, where Kasiano’s main strength was that he was a big body in the middle.
Mate I’ve just come out of hospital and dropped 12kg not because I was dedicated lol

Latest posts