What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

denis preston

First Grade
Lucky can also run over the top of players, he can ball play. I hope that Host does play well, but I think Lucky is the better prospect. I think Lucky can play reps. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Host will play reps.

The fact that Lucky has got down to 112 kgs, speaks volumes for his dedication and desire to play first grade. The more I think about it the more I question Mary selecting Host ahead of Lucky.

How about defense ?

rednwhites

Juniors
Leilua is probably our form player right now. Even though I'd be keeping him as an impact player, maybe we should build a team around him because he's one of the only forwards that looks threatening at the moment.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Tbh Luc was playing like crap for most of this year.

He ended 2018 playing well with real promise for 2019, but the attitude wasn’t there this year... UNTIL last game v sharkies. He suddenly looked to be playing with intent again. Hope it’s a sign!

getsmarty

Immortal
Leilua relishing shift to the engine room
Dragons Den
r0_0_3433_2365_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HE'S always been big on talent, but Dragons back-rower Luciano Leilua is confident he now has the motor to match it after making a shift to the middle of the park this season.

The 22-year-old spent the bulk of his standout junior career on the left edge where he made his debut as a 20-year-old in 2016 and scored five tries in five starting appearances last season.

Hos role has changed dramatically in 2019, with the stand-down of Jack de Belin and the loss of Korbin Sims, Jeremy Latimore and James Graham to injury at different stages testing the club's middle-forward depth.

It's seen Leilua largely deployed as a bench weapon in the engine room where he's been named in the No. 13 jumper for Monday's clash with Canterbury.

How the club's Origin contingent come through game one could see a reshuffle, but Leilua said he's relishing the chance to mix it up in the middle.

"I love it, it's my favourite position now," Leilua said.

"It was challenging at first but now I've got the hang of things it's just about using my body and my skills best I can there in the middle.

"I can just play direct, run hard, tackle hard, without thinking too much until we get to the front of the field where my ball skills can come into play.

"Sometimes when you're stuck out on the edge you're just waiting for the ball, now if I want it I can just go in there and get it. I'm loving it at the moment."

It's also testament to his conditioning, something that's been questioned in the past and saw him go without a top-grade appearance in 2017.

Leilua sees it as a show of faith from McGregor, one he's eager to repay.

"There's not much rest in the middle but it's a good challenge for me and it's good to have the coaching staff trust me to play in there," Leilua said.

"I've got to pay Mary and the coaching staff back for picking me each week giving me that opportunity in the middle. I just want to take it with both hands.

"For me personally it's about playing consistent footy every time I'm in first grade and reminding Mary why I'm there."

McGregor had the luxury of resting the likes of Frizell through last year's Origin period but, with his side currently sitting 13th on the ladder, he's unlikely have that luxury this season.

For us young boys it's really time to step up and take the opportunities that we have

Luciano Leilua
With de Belin unlikely to return and Graham still sidelined for 6-8 weeks, Leilua said he and fellow young-guns will need to fill the void amid what's traditionally a tough Origin period.

"For us young boys, and some of the older boys as well, it's time for us to step up and take the opportunities that we have," he said.

"It's up to us really, we've just got to turn up and work hard each week. It does hurt with the boys we do have out and obviously our Origin boys are away.

"Hopefully they can be back this week but injuries are just part of footy and we've got to deal with it and move forward."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6202419/leilua-relishing-shift-to-the-engine-room/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Yes he seems to be the only ray of sunshine in this current bleak winter that we are experiencing . Keep the good work up Luc. :innocent:
Even so Leilua should constantly be encouraged to do better and be fitter. He should be pulled aside to discuss his game stats each week and review video of his game.

Leilua has what it takes to be an exceptional forward whether as a middle forward or an edge forward. All he needs is the support and encouragement to do well and the praise or accountability with regards to his work each gem.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Leilua relishing shift to the engine room
Dragons Den
r0_0_3433_2365_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HE'S always been big on talent, but Dragons back-rower Luciano Leilua is confident he now has the motor to match it after making a shift to the middle of the park this season.

The 22-year-old spent the bulk of his standout junior career on the left edge where he made his debut as a 20-year-old in 2016 and scored five tries in five starting appearances last season.

Hos role has changed dramatically in 2019, with the stand-down of Jack de Belin and the loss of Korbin Sims, Jeremy Latimore and James Graham to injury at different stages testing the club's middle-forward depth.

It's seen Leilua largely deployed as a bench weapon in the engine room where he's been named in the No. 13 jumper for Monday's clash with Canterbury.

How the club's Origin contingent come through game one could see a reshuffle, but Leilua said he's relishing the chance to mix it up in the middle.

"I love it, it's my favourite position now," Leilua said.

"It was challenging at first but now I've got the hang of things it's just about using my body and my skills best I can there in the middle.

"I can just play direct, run hard, tackle hard, without thinking too much until we get to the front of the field where my ball skills can come into play.

"Sometimes when you're stuck out on the edge you're just waiting for the ball, now if I want it I can just go in there and get it. I'm loving it at the moment."

It's also testament to his conditioning, something that's been questioned in the past and saw him go without a top-grade appearance in 2017.

Leilua sees it as a show of faith from McGregor, one he's eager to repay.

"There's not much rest in the middle but it's a good challenge for me and it's good to have the coaching staff trust me to play in there," Leilua said.

"I've got to pay Mary and the coaching staff back for picking me each week giving me that opportunity in the middle. I just want to take it with both hands.

"For me personally it's about playing consistent footy every time I'm in first grade and reminding Mary why I'm there."

McGregor had the luxury of resting the likes of Frizell through last year's Origin period but, with his side currently sitting 13th on the ladder, he's unlikely have that luxury this season.

For us young boys it's really time to step up and take the opportunities that we have

Luciano Leilua
With de Belin unlikely to return and Graham still sidelined for 6-8 weeks, Leilua said he and fellow young-guns will need to fill the void amid what's traditionally a tough Origin period.

"For us young boys, and some of the older boys as well, it's time for us to step up and take the opportunities that we have," he said.

"It's up to us really, we've just got to turn up and work hard each week. It does hurt with the boys we do have out and obviously our Origin boys are away.

"Hopefully they can be back this week but injuries are just part of footy and we've got to deal with it and move forward."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6202419/leilua-relishing-shift-to-the-engine-room/?cs=3713
Lucky sounds like he has a very good attitude. I also like the fact that he said playing in the middle is now his favourite position now. I have been saying for a while now that I believed his future lies in the middle, either at lock of prop. I would like Graham to take him under his wing and nurture him as a prop/lock.

Dragsters

First Grade
Lucky is suited to the middle. He has great balls skills and is an attacking weapon. I think lock should be his position right now, if not then prop.

Prop yes.

What is the difference between prop and lock these days.
Not much I reckon!
CC

With the quality of hookers' speed from dummy half runs behind the ruck...

Lateral agility.

Ideally 10kg in weight.

Aerobic fitness.

Defensive workload.

Etc. Etc. Etc...

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I agree that LL had improved dramatically in his last few outings.
Starting to be a bit more rugged in his approach which is a good sign.
A little disturbing that he is noted for his ball playing / offloads but we aren't seeing very much of that.
Maybe a combination of the game plan set by coach and our halves inability to work with our edge runners.
LL should play left side IMO as he has more chance of achieving that with Norman rather than Hunt.

Dragsters

First Grade
I've always been a big wrap on Luc and was stoked when he re-signed with us.

His development is really starting to bear fruit.

His future lies in the prop rotation imo and I reckon his best impact atm for the team would be from the bench, after a bit of the sting goes out of the game and his silky ball playing skills can be of most benefit to our attack...

Last edited:

Latest posts