What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt

bradeel

Juniors
he had a massive game. Was so pleased for him and so glad that we have players of his calibre able to slot anywhere into the backline like this. His 2 tries chasing through the grubber kicks were brilliant for a bloke who has played 1st grade all season. Just read things perfectly.

Even on goalkicking alone he deserves to stay in the lineup somewhere. Matt Orford misses his first 3 and Burty kicks all 5 - tell me that wasn't making a huge difference to the course of the game as things got tighter.

True EEL

Bench
Perrymatta said:
I was skeptical about him being re-signed for next year but of course now like many others, im happy about it. The mystery lies where he will play.

IMHO he will play fullback....which is his best position

i can't be bothered digging the thread up, but i think it was the one earlier in the year about him re-signing for 2 seasons and i re-iterated in that thread (something i have often said) that his best position is fullback and with Wade leaving i think he should be given first crack

Joel Reddy is good and could play there in firsts and i know every one is hot about the idea of putting Hayne back there, but perhaps it's just better to leave Hayne where he is, why change whats working and especially as it might be too much pressure for him, along with all the expectation on him anyway?

Burt's main knock in terms of playing fullback is obviously his defense, but i thought even that was better last night, his tackle on whoever went through and eventually led to a try last night in the seconf half when things started going crazy was great - and at the time i thought he had been beated, but he came back and made the classic fullback last line of defence tackle - even though an offload still led to the try

seriously - i say give Burt a chance at fullback - remember early 2004 when he had a chance there before he got injured and before Wade came in and took over and started playing so well - Burt was on fire and his support play was at it's peak, just like it was last night

trust me - Burt is a much better fullback than he is centre and a better fullback than he is winger, so let's give it a go

Parraren

Bench
no.2_lukeburt said:
if finch doesnt work out, i would seriously consider him at pivot too.

Now, now let's not get too excited :lol:

I still don't like him at fullback because I think he's too fragile and just doesn't give you the defensive awareness and toughness that a top fullback MUST PROVIDE.

People have short memories. Burt was dropped for McKinnon a few years ago becuase of his poor defense and positioning at fullback. "Speedhump" was a term often used on this forum when describing his defense at fullback.

I think he will be in the 17 next year, but I'd definitely have him on the wing and let Hayne fulfill his true potential at fullback.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
i disagree mate, i think his defence has improved heaps since then, and at PL he supposedly defended very well from 5/8 and he has a handy kicking game... not sure about his passing though.

blackfriday

Juniors
his general play kicking has improved by so much and it has added another option to getting up the other end of the park. he looked more sure of himself than usual and his goal-kicking was exemplary as usual.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I like Burt. But his defence scares me. He is better than Wade in attack (and he's no slouch), but Burty's defence is a concern.

However, I don't want to bag him. He played very well last night and was a great part of the reason we won.

His experience when Moimoi was sent off no doubt helped our team gel, too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what a game he had, and how good was his kicking, 5 out of 5 and 3 from the sideline

I met him a year ago and had a good chat to him, and we spoke about my daugher and he she had him autograph her Parra shirt.

He came up to me and Dot last night and shook our hands and he remembered us from a year ago.

What a guy, good to see he is resigned with the Eels.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I know what you mean, Twizzle.

I had a similar thing, but with Vella. Last week,I saw him at Parramatta Westfields. He was having coffee with a few mates. I was wearring my Eels polo shirt, and he kind of saw it and sort of smiled. I couldn't help myself - I went up to him and told him how he's one of my favourite players and he's a top bloke and I hope his injury is healing up nicely and I don't want to waste anymore of his time so I'll be on my way. He actually thanked me for the chat and signed a paper napkin for me.

Parra players are the best!

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
My mate works at Gloria Jeans on Level 5... and he apparently sees John Morris all the time, but Morris never stays for a chat. Wonder what Half thinks of this.

mickdo

Coach
Twizzle said:
what a game he had, and how good was his kicking, 5 out of 5 and 3 from the sideline
That was the difference for us getting over the line I think. If he hadn't been in the side then I don't think Riddell/Hayne/Morris would have kicked any of those sideline conversions, and that would have meant the scores would have been level near the end. I don't know if we could have held on the way we did had that been the case.

rowdy

First Grade
Awesum! This is just so good!

Burty had a great game, and he stepped up. He has soo much experience and I think that that adds to our game, especially with the younger guys. I hope we can fit him in somewhere.

*btw, thanks burty, added a couple of point to my sponsors. good one champ*

lucablight said:
LOL first Wagon and now Burt getting praised. Am I dreaming?

no! :D

rowdy

First Grade
nup...but im thinking about letting him get away with it because he played so well

eelz47

Coach
i even seen burty having a good chat/laugh with a ball boy too last. he just made him feel better

TheParraboy

Staff member
eelz47 said:
i even seen burty having a good chat/laugh with a ball boy too last. he just made him feel better

what did the ball ball say to make him feel better? :D