What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly - 16000

LESStar58

Referee
AAMI will be chock a block next week. Ground record to be set quite easily for a Storm match I reckon. 16K is pathetic.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I love how Queenslanders assume fans of Sydney teams will show up to a game just because it features another team from Sydney. Doesn't work that way. Free tickets might do it, but the better way is either discounted entry for members of any NRL club, or the suggested finals packages. Or both.

Nup, I've had enough of this. That is a tacky, shallow, overused excuse. If you want this game to be successful, you need to pull your heads out of your arses and realise Sydney has a HUGE problem with crowds. Not so much Merge, because they always get a good turnout, but how in the hell can ANYONE tell The Bears they can't have a license while in the same breath tolerate such hopeless, lazy crap from a club like Manly, who are DEFENDING PREMIERS.

Zero excuse. You can stick your heads in the sand and scream Origin bias all you like, but Rugby League is being humiliated by lazy, tightarse NSW fanbases.

t-ba

Post Whore
Honestly, how did such a backwater team get let into the comp in the first place?

Historically we've had great crowds by the Leagues standards. I honestly think Super League and the consequent rise of the Swans and Waratahs has really damaged the club. Before SL broke out, We hadn't averaged below the league average for nearly forty seasons.

It's something the club seriously needs to address. Not playing on Friday night would help, but it's no excuse. What kind of annoys me is that there'll be a sh*tload of Mdanly fans who turn up for the GF if we get there, mostly on Stadium memberships that they bought when people bothered with the Wallabies, that probably haven't gone to a single game all season.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm not so sure, banks of empty seats in Adelaide. Its certainly more than at tonights game, but both games look at negatively by respective HQs.
Ticket prices for these AFL finals are significantly higher than normal.

For example at the Swans game next week the CHEAPEST adult ticket is $60. Double the cost of the Canterbury game next week.

What would the crowd have been like today at Allianz if the tickets were twice as much? 10k?

Brutus

Referee
Ticket prices for these AFL finals are significantly higher than normal.

For example at the Swans game next week the CHEAPEST adult ticket is $60. Double the cost of the Canterbury game next week.

What would the crowd have been like today at Allianz if the tickets were twice as much? 10k?

AFL fans are used to cheap tickets during the regular season.

Force the Adelaide bogans to pay up in a sudden death semi and there's spare seats galore.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
so because there are a bunch of pea heart manly fans who can't be arsed to get into the city for a semi, there are people are saying that those of us who do make an effort don't deserve to have a team?

YOU CAN ALL GET f**kED

Billythekid

First Grade
The 'small 4', Cronulla, Manly, Penrith and Roosters are always going to struggle to pull crowds against the likes of the cowboys and titans in Sydney.
So what to do?

All members of any club allowed in free? Special NRL finals membership packages? 16000 for a final is not great.

Penrith, Cronulla and the roosters would all pull bigger crowds than this without question if they were in the same position. Give them the sort of form Manly has had and they will pull a sh*tload more. This isn't a Sydney problem, it's a Manly one.

Was there even a single Cowpats fan there? I didn't see a single jersey in the crowd. I'd guarantee if the game was in Townsville there'd be more Manly fans there than there was Cows fans tonight.

The stadium would also be packed to the brims with cowboys fans (as would suncorp). Dumb comparison.

The defending premiers can only muster up 16k for a finals game that is disgraceful and a indictment of the laziness that some RL fans have the think sitting on TV='support'. For all the success Manly had in the only game in Sydney they should of drew way better I'm sick of the excuses and the whining about transport,etc.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
so because there are a bunch of pea heart manly fans who can't be arsed to get into the city for a semi, there are people are saying that those of us who do make an effort don't deserve to have a team?

YOU CAN ALL GET f**kED

If having little tolerance for a fanbase whose majority are fair weather, lazy or both embarrassing the code means I have to get f**ked, mate I'm on my way to the Red Light as we speak.

BranVan3000

Coach
Historically we've had great crowds by the Leagues standards. I honestly think Super League and the consequent rise of the Swans and Waratahs has really damaged the club. Before SL broke out, We hadn't averaged below the league average for nearly forty seasons.

It's something the club seriously needs to address. Not playing on Friday night would help, but it's no excuse. What kind of annoys me is that there'll be a sh*tload of Mdanly fans who turn up for the GF if we get there, mostly on Stadium memberships that they bought when people bothered with the Wallabies, that probably haven't gone to a single game all season.

I think it's swans too. That whole North Sydney crowd latched onto that shit sport

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
If Manly were to play North Sydney at ANZ stadium in a prelim, they would get at least 60k maybe even go close to a sell it out. Manly are not that unsupported, you always come across the sneaky bastards where ever you go, but 16k?

You poor spoilt buggers, what is it, do you want the SFS moved to Sookvale so you can hope to fill it maybe once a season when you get to have your home final (Manly=Sydney) in that very ground, will that do, will you even turn up then and finally, should the GF be played at Sookvale if your team makes it?

I agree with the others that said Manly's fan base has been eaten away by the swans and Waratahs since the SL war. But as I said at the top, if they were to play the Bears at ANZ next year, they'd near fill it. Who the hell knows with them.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Nup, I've had enough of this. That is a tacky, shallow, overused excuse. If you want this game to be successful, you need to pull your heads out of your arses and realise Sydney has a HUGE problem with crowds. Not so much Merge, because they always get a good turnout, but how in the hell can ANYONE tell The Bears they can't have a license while in the same breath tolerate such hopeless, lazy crap from a club like Manly, who are DEFENDING PREMIERS.

Zero excuse. You can stick your heads in the sand and scream Origin bias all you like, but Rugby League is being humiliated by lazy, tightarse NSW fanbases.

Actually mate (and I think I'll have to have a wash after this), I pretty much agree. I was trying to point out that by and large fans of Syndey teams don't give a shit about and thus don't attend matches featuring other Sydney teams. That attitude will be a very tough nut to crack (I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard/read "I follow St. George, not Rugby League"), but an attempt must be made.

Personally, I don't think this way. I follow AFL, and I've been to several Lions games that didn't feature either of my AFL teams (Sydney and West Coast). Likewise, I've been to several league games that didn't feature the Dragons (including the Titans-Roosters preliminary final in 2010). Frankly, if I had the money and work didn't interfere, I'd go to a lot more games.

YOU CAN ALL GET f**kED

Mate, I was trolling. Thought it was obvious. ;-)

The only fans who don't deserve a team are those who think fans of a team they don't like don't deserve a team (there was a lot of this bullshit during the superjoke era, and it shit me to tears then, and it still does now). I would never, ever deathride a team that isn't Cronulla... :whistle:

coolsteve

Juniors
:lol:
What a crap crowd. What a disgraceful effort by the Refs. What a sick feeling I had watching that game.

It was an embarrassing effort to see all those empty seats and then see Manly given an armchair ride into the Preliminary finals.

Where is the integrity of a competition that allows dreadful decisions like that?
:lol::lol::lol:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Melbourne is like Islam and will pack out the Mosques every friday but Sydney is like Christianity where everyone loves a big event twice a year like Christmas and Easter yet don't go to Church every sunday.

Latest posts