What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly - 16000

BunniesMan

Immortal
wi.php
Let's gain a little perspective:

-Fact - Manly are one of the most hated teams in the comp, put simply, neutrals will not go to watch them and the Cowboys play.

Lets say it was 2 Sydney teams. Given there were about 500 Cowboys fans there (that's not having a stab at them) - this, based on averages would give us a crowd of 32 000 (based on 16 000 per team - that's how many Manly fans were there).

* That is only 4000 less than last weeks 'blockbuster' between Manly and the Dogs - which was in fact at Bulldogs home ground.

* 9000 Fans larger than the 2010 2nd week of Finals match between Roosters and the Panthers. This was on a Saturday night (even better) at the Roosters home ground of the SFS

* Just 1000 less than the Roosters v Tigers epic in week one of the 2010 Finals. Once again, on a Saturday night, and this time at both team's home grounds.

* 17000 more than the Dragons vs Manly 2010 Week 1 match of the finals. Granted, it was at a smaller suburban ground in Oki Jubilee, but it still wasn't a sell out. Noted, it was also at a Dragons home ground.

* 11 000 more than at the Bulldogs v Knights Week 1 Final in 2009. Granted, Newcastle are not a 'Sydney' team but they are just a few hours up the road, have many Sydney fans and the game was also played at the Bulldogs home ground.

I could go on all day, but I think I've made my point. Face it, the NRL has a Sydney wide problem, not just Manly. I didn't hear the same 'they should be kicked out remarks' after these crowds, so don't let the media bandwagon kill you.
FFS this is dumb logic. You're using an imaginary number to compare it to actual crowds.

Souths, Canterbury, Wests, Parra, St George all would have got a vastly superior crowd against the Cowboys at SFS than Manly did.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Parramatta got 28,524 in 2009 against the Titans for the semi final at the SFS and the Titans have less fans then the Cowboys so Manly's crowd last night was horrendous

Also i consider that 28k to be disapointing which makes Manly look even worse

I was going to make a seperate thread, but not sure if it is thread worthy.

Maybe Manly or any other Sydney team that fears not drawing a high crowd at SFS/ANZ should take the game to Bluetounge Vs Melbourne, NZ and QLD teams?

mene

Juniors
Manly fans just wait til the Grand Final to turn up, we are kind of use to it...playing on the big day.

The Eagle

Juniors
You make Manly fans socially unacceptable

Parents try to stop kids becoming Manly
fans

You put shit on us at every opportunity about shit that happened before I was even born

You call us grubs for bad actions of now reformed players intentional or not

You put shit on us, call us gay due to Hopoate, who was caught fingering ass for the Mergepies then defend it by claiming the Ian Roberts defence, when he has saved so many lives by publicly saying he likes dick from potential needless suicides of homosexuals Australia wide

You give us no credit for going broke when we did it to beat off super league which was invented from the same paper we all hate

You whine when refs calls go or way but God forbid some idiot hit green for us

You hate us for being successful and we get the blame for the bears death and then you expect good crowds?

f**k off idiots this is your doing, we deserve to be alive and if you want our crowds to improve then stop being so f**king jealous of or wonderfully resilient club

/thread

jono

Juniors
Parramatta got 28,524 in 2009 against the Titans for the semi final at the SFS and the Titans have less fans then the Cowboys so Manly's crowd last night was horrendous

Also i consider that 28k to be disapointing which makes Manly look even worse
Beat me to it ..... I was disappointed that night that only 28K showed up particularly when we were in the middle of the HayneTrain bandwagon (not referring to you HT). Even allowing for the fact that it was on a Friday night , I thought 32-33K might be expected. Only 16000 for pretty much an equivalent scenario really says it all about Manly fans , doesn't it.
It willbe interesting if the Wabbits win tonight , 2009 Dogs v Eels 74000 2010 Tigs v Drags 71000 .......2012 Dogs v Bunnies???????

* 9000 Fans larger than the 2010 2nd week of Finals match between Roosters and the Panthers. This was on a Saturday night (even better) at the Roosters home ground of the SFS

* Just 1000 less than the Roosters v Tigers epic in week one of the 2010 Finals. Once again, on a Saturday night, and this time at both team's home grounds.
Firstly, there were seriously 30 Penrith fans at that game. The game was 25,500 or something and 25, 200 were Easts fans.

Secondly, there were about 33k at the Roosters/Tigers double last night.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Beat me to it ..... I was disappointed that night that only 28K showed up particularly when we were in the middle of the HayneTrain bandwagon (not referring to you HT). Even allowing for the fact that it was on a Friday night , I thought 32-33K might be expected. Only 16000 for pretty much an equivalent scenario really says it all about Manly fans , doesn't it.
It willbe interesting if the Wabbits win tonight , 2009 Dogs v Eels 74000 2010 Tigs v Drags 71000 .......2012 Dogs v Bunnies???????

If the NRL hype up the Eels/Dogs record crowd i wouldn't be surprised if people get out to ANZ for a Doggies/Souffs clash to try and beat that crowd.

18to87

Coach
Whilst I agree with most of the comments about the poor crowd, why was this game played on a Friday night to begin with?

Sunday afternoon surely would have got 25K.

jono

Juniors
Whilst I agree with most of the TV comments about the poor crowd, why was this game played on a Friday night to begin with?

Sunday afternoon surely would have got 25K.

In deference to the omnipotent Nine network.
Sucks to have the NRL bend over and take it up the clacker from Nine , doesn't it . Nine do not care that 16000 show up , the ROI from Friday night prime time telecasts far outweighs any negative inpact on bums on seats.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably got around 400k more tv viewers than a Sunday afternoon so there's your answer. Seriously though, if your team is in a sudden death playoff traveling across a city shouldn't be a hardship!

Facts are manly are a small club in a small fan catchment, we really shouldn't expect anything else.

18to87

Coach
Well why not Sunday evening then. The Hindmarsh farewell got a great crowd. Would surely rate well on a Sunday evening? Or they don't want to get rid of 60 minutes for a week or two?

The Eagle

Juniors
Probably got around 400k more tv viewers than a Sunday afternoon so there's your answer. Seriously though, if your team is in a sudden death playoff traveling across a city shouldn't be a hardship!

Facts are manly are a small club in a small fan catchment, we really shouldn't expect anything else.

We aren't souffs out wests, we work jobs not Centrelink

firechild

First Grade
We aren't souffs or wests, we work jobs not Centrelink

This. My wife gets home at 6:45pm and there's no way in hell I'd be able to get to the game by 7:30. Other thing is there's no way I'm taking my 2 year old son to the game which won't finish until 9:30. My sister lives on the northern beaches and is a season ticket holder but also can't get to the game on a friday night because of work. If the game were Saturday or Sunday the crowd would have been substantially larger.

This year the excuse is its on a Friday. Last year the excuse was that it was on a Saturday and after 8. If they make it next year what will the excuse be? It's on a Sunday during the day?

Latest posts