What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly/Storm fight

Mader45

Juniors
nrld.jpg

There are alot of valid opinions in this thread about the fights.

But the image above is impossible to defend on any level .

POPEYE

Coach
Making a mountain out of a molehill will go down to the refs. Giving that pair charge of such a game was madness . . . refereeing 'par for the course' this year.

LESStar58

Referee
It was entertaining regardless of the circumstances. Whatever happens happens to the players involved.

Just not looking forward to the manufactured outrage from the media.

Slothfield is already winding up.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ht-ive-ever-seen/story-e6frexnr-1226123255690

I agree with him re: the refs. In my league earlier this year there was a blue that got out of hand. Central ref binned one bloke, waited til he got in the sheds then binned the other bloke. Mind you Blair and Stewart are both gobshites for going on with it but the whole situation could have been avoided...

Wests is Best

Juniors
I havent read all the posts, but all I can say is how great it is that the players had passion and seemed to really hate each other.
The hatred from the players has been missing since the beginning of superleague. Good stuff

big country

Juniors
I sawed it last night - Stewart Brett must be given biiiiiig suspension - he ran far away to give Blair Adam good hit yes?

This weeks new rules as applied by Shanye Hayne.

1.You are allowed to run 30- 40 mtrs to try to king hit someone in a one on one fight,if that person is a relative..
3rd man in doesn't apply here,the words "He's my brother" will get a nod & smile off the ref.

2.You are allowed to bring 3-4 mates with you to all get into him on the ground...& there will be no penalty.

3.Seeing as there were dog acts by Manly players ,lets not get the video ref to have a say on what happened as Blair & Stewert left the field.

Zelig96

Juniors
My take on what should happen, not necessarily what will happen:-

Hinchcliffe elbow - not a lot in it. Deserved a penalty, but nothing more. Good to see the refs actually got it right, reversing their original penalty for Lussick's reaction in the play ball.

Lussick punch after penalty blown - without the blokes being done for 3rd man in, Lussick probably could have been sin binned for escalating things after the refs had blown a penalty, but either way there was not much in it so there should not be any judiciary action.

Blair - 3rd man in throwing punches. I think a sin bin was the appropriate punishment for that act. No judiciary action required.

Stewart - 3rd man in throwing punches. Same as Blair - sin bin correct punishment.

Blair & Stewart 2nd flare-up - I think both are equally to blame for it flaring up again. I can't see how you can say one is more culpable than the other. While Blair did run to catch up to Stewart, Stewart was dawdling along, constantly checking back to see where Blair was, obviously keen to re-engage Blair (verbally at least). Once they squared off, Blair gave the first shove, Stewart the first punch, so I see that as equal responsibility for the 2nd flare up.

Nice attempt by both, trying to get into the sheds before the refs could do any more, but well done to Shayne Hayne and Co. for calling them back and rightly sending them off.

They both deserve 2 weeks suspension for Contrary Conduct for starting a sideline fight after being sin-binned.

As with any melee, players that run in fall into two categories, those who are trying to break it up (call them "peacekeepers") and those who come in throwing punches or attacking ("aggressors").

The 4 Manly players to arrive first were B. Stewart, Robertson, Foran and Lussick.

Robertson and Foran were peacekeepers and therefore no action should be taken against either of them.

Stewart and Lussick were clearly aggressors and as per Blair and G. Stewart in the first flare up, as 3rd man in aggressors, both probably should have been sin binned, although given everything else, I can understand the refs not pursuing it any further.

Given they did not receive any on-field punishment, they may attract a low-grade judiciary charge, but both should be able to avoid suspension with a guilty plea.

Whilst B. Stewart's kamikaze entry into the fray looked pretty spectacular, I don't see it as any worse than a bloke arriving and throwing punches. It was more a function of the speed with which he got there that made it look worse.

Not sure why people are saying Watmough. He arrived later at the same time as other Storm players and only ever looked to be a "peacekeeper".

Storm bench players - whilst long held to be a big no-no to leave the bench, I think it was an understandable reaction when it is 5 on 1 on one of their blokes and there were no other Storm players within a bullsroar to help protect Blair. From what I have seen, the Storm Bench players all looked to be "peacekeepers", not "aggressors". That being the case, the Storm should be fined for players leaving the bench and joining the fray, but no action against the individual players.

If any of the bench players have been "aggressors" then they should be up on a judiciary charge, perhaps a little stronger than B. Stewart and Lussick (ie miss 1 week), given they were not only 3rd man aggressor, but they had come off the bench to do so.

Manly Bench players - Manly officials should be commended for holding their bench players back. George Rose was itching to get in on the action.

Shane Rodney (in black dressing gown) did appear to briefly become involved as a "peacekeeper" and for that, Manly should be fined same as the Storm.

I don't think Manly should lose the 2 points because of Rodney, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NRL did go that way. IMO, it would be overkill, but they have made such a big deal about 14 men on the field that Tony Williams couldn't even go on to replace David Williams until the stretcher had physically crossed the sideline, so they may adopt a hard line view on Rodney.

Some may argue Rodney didn't actually cross the sideline and step onto the field. To my mind, that is irrelevant. He may not have crossed the sideline, but he clearly got involved in the play and therefore constitutes a 14th man. As I said, I think the correct punishment is a fine, not loss of 2 points, as his involvement was only fleeting, but won't be surprised if NRL go hard.

2010Dragons

Bench
Referee:
Shayne Hayne, Gavin Badger.

This two clowns are the problem. In recent times Badger has been the referee when there has been fights, brawls and send offs.
Badger is the problem.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Manly scum.

2 inbred violent brothers surrounded by other toothless Manly turds.

Give them all 3 weeks each and an extra month for being Blacktown-sur-mer, uneducated, classless scum.

Disco

Bench
My take on what should happen, not necessarily what will happen:-

Hinchcliffe elbow - not a lot in it. Deserved a penalty, but nothing more. Good to see the refs actually got it right, reversing their original penalty for Lussick's reaction in the play ball.

Lussick punch after penalty blown - without the blokes being done for 3rd man in, Lussick probably could have been sin binned for escalating things after the refs had blown a penalty, but either way there was not much in it so there should not be any judiciary action.

Blair - 3rd man in throwing punches. I think a sin bin was the appropriate punishment for that act. No judiciary action required.

Stewart - 3rd man in throwing punches. Same as Blair - sin bin correct punishment.

Blair & Stewart 2nd flare-up - I think both are equally to blame for it flaring up again. I can't see how you can say one is more culpable than the other. While Blair did run to catch up to Stewart, Stewart was dawdling along, constantly checking back to see where Blair was, obviously keen to re-engage Blair (verbally at least). Once they squared off, Blair gave the first shove, Stewart the first punch, so I see that as equal responsibility for the 2nd flare up.

Nice attempt by both, trying to get into the sheds before the refs could do any more, but well done to Shayne Hayne and Co. for calling them back and rightly sending them off.

They both deserve 2 weeks suspension for Contrary Conduct for starting a sideline fight after being sin-binned.

As with any melee, players that run in fall into two categories, those who are trying to break it up (call them "peacekeepers") and those who come in throwing punches or attacking ("aggressors").

The 4 Manly players to arrive first were B. Stewart, Robertson, Foran and Lussick.

Robertson and Foran were peacekeepers and therefore no action should be taken against either of them.

Stewart and Lussick were clearly aggressors and as per Blair and G. Stewart in the first flare up, as 3rd man in aggressors, both probably should have been sin binned, although given everything else, I can understand the refs not pursuing it any further.

Given they did not receive any on-field punishment, they may attract a low-grade judiciary charge, but both should be able to avoid suspension with a guilty plea.

Whilst B. Stewart's kamikaze entry into the fray looked pretty spectacular, I don't see it as any worse than a bloke arriving and throwing punches. It was more a function of the speed with which he got there that made it look worse.

Not sure why people are saying Watmough. He arrived later at the same time as other Storm players and only ever looked to be a "peacekeeper".

Storm bench players - whilst long held to be a big no-no to leave the bench, I think it was an understandable reaction when it is 5 on 1 on one of their blokes and there were no other Storm players within a bullsroar to help protect Blair. From what I have seen, the Storm Bench players all looked to be "peacekeepers", not "aggressors". That being the case, the Storm should be fined for players leaving the bench and joining the fray, but no action against the individual players.

If any of the bench players have been "aggressors" then they should be up on a judiciary charge, perhaps a little stronger than B. Stewart and Lussick (ie miss 1 week), given they were not only 3rd man aggressor, but they had come off the bench to do so.

Manly Bench players - Manly officials should be commended for holding their bench players back. George Rose was itching to get in on the action.

Shane Rodney (in black dressing gown) did appear to briefly become involved as a "peacekeeper" and for that, Manly should be fined same as the Storm.

I don't think Manly should lose the 2 points because of Rodney, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NRL did go that way. IMO, it would be overkill, but they have made such a big deal about 14 men on the field that Tony Williams couldn't even go on to replace David Williams until the stretcher had physically crossed the sideline, so they may adopt a hard line view on Rodney.

Some may argue Rodney didn't actually cross the sideline and step onto the field. To my mind, that is irrelevant. He may not have crossed the sideline, but he clearly got involved in the play and therefore constitutes a 14th man. As I said, I think the correct punishment is a fine, not loss of 2 points, as his involvement was only fleeting, but won't be surprised if NRL go hard.

Great post, finally a bit of sense.

All this 5 0n 1 talk in crazy.....G Stewart was the only one throwing punches

The big issues out of this is that Blair and Stewart will both a have a rest for a few weeks and should be back in the finals.

The crappy aspect is that the likes of the Broncos will be loving this and could end up winning this comp on the back of this which is garbage...

Gallop will also love this and come out with some moralistic comment today and then ping his favourite clubs.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
The big issues out of this is that Blair and Stewart will both a have a rest for a few weeks and should be back in the finals.

The crappy aspect is that the likes of the Broncos will be loving this and could end up winning this comp on the back of this which is garbage...

Gallop will also love this and come out with some moralistic comment today and then ping his favourite clubs.

Agree. I still hate Gallop.

blaza88z

Coach

you make it sound like the broncos don't deserve to win, they have just as much chance as manly or melbourne

I don't think the 'penalities' will be as bad as the media think. The media 'experts' (and I use that term losely) are all handing out huge punishments. I honestly think once they sit down there won't be the huge suspensions some are predicting.

Loudstrat

Coach
Go tell a copper that "he said something mean so i punched him" and ask who the instigator is. NRL works the same way.
Blair approached him, and pushed him = antagonist. Just like he was when he laid into kissick when Smith, Widdop, Hinchcliffe and Proctor were holding him up.

There is no issue with having more than 13 players on the field as time was blown off. It didnt affect play unlike Canterbury having and endless backline v Penrith

But if you can't see Blair and the storm escalated a ruck disagreement into a brawl you need massive help - and probably a carer.

Latest posts