What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly/Storm fight

Tommax25

Bench
It was entertaining regardless of the circumstances. Whatever happens happens to the players involved.

Just not looking forward to the manufactured outrage from the media.

Slothfield is already winding up.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ht-ive-ever-seen/story-e6frexnr-1226123255690

I love that he asks who's to blame and questioningly suggests the refs, Glenn Stewart for "walking off so slowly and letting Blair get in his face", and Brett for racing 30 metres to get involved. Was Melbourne at the game? No mention of the elbow that started it all, Blair running to catch Glenn or his cheapshots on Lussick. Fair is fair, many peoiple were to blame, he shouldn't be leaving Melbourne out of it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It was entertaining regardless of the circumstances. Whatever happens happens to the players involved.

Just not looking forward to the manufactured outrage from the media.

Slothfield is already winding up.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ht-ive-ever-seen/story-e6frexnr-1226123255690

the old f**knut is losing his poll

he'll have to get the DT to rig it in his favour

What did you think of the brawling in the Sea Eagles v Storm match?

Great 74.58% (895 votes)
Disgraceful 25.42% (305 votes)

M2D2

Bench
The biff was great. However. Once you Biff, You have to pay the price for said Biff. And a few manly and melbourne players will have to pay the piper.

Eels Dude

Coach

Jason Maher

Immortal

siv

First Grade
My take on what should happen, not necessarily what will happen:-

Hinchcliffe elbow - not a lot in it. Deserved a penalty, but nothing more. Good to see the refs actually got it right, reversing their original penalty for Lussick's reaction in the play ball.

Lussick punch after penalty blown - without the blokes being done for 3rd man in, Lussick probably could have been sin binned for escalating things after the refs had blown a penalty, but either way there was not much in it so there should not be any judiciary action.

Blair - 3rd man in throwing punches. I think a sin bin was the appropriate punishment for that act. No judiciary action required.

Stewart - 3rd man in throwing punches. Same as Blair - sin bin correct punishment.

Blair & Stewart 2nd flare-up - I think both are equally to blame for it flaring up again. I can't see how you can say one is more culpable than the other. While Blair did run to catch up to Stewart, Stewart was dawdling along, constantly checking back to see where Blair was, obviously keen to re-engage Blair (verbally at least). Once they squared off, Blair gave the first shove, Stewart the first punch, so I see that as equal responsibility for the 2nd flare up.

Nice attempt by both, trying to get into the sheds before the refs could do any more, but well done to Shayne Hayne and Co. for calling them back and rightly sending them off.

They both deserve 2 weeks suspension for Contrary Conduct for starting a sideline fight after being sin-binned.

As with any melee, players that run in fall into two categories, those who are trying to break it up (call them "peacekeepers") and those who come in throwing punches or attacking ("aggressors").

The 4 Manly players to arrive first were B. Stewart, Robertson, Foran and Lussick.

Robertson and Foran were peacekeepers and therefore no action should be taken against either of them.

Stewart and Lussick were clearly aggressors and as per Blair and G. Stewart in the first flare up, as 3rd man in aggressors, both probably should have been sin binned, although given everything else, I can understand the refs not pursuing it any further.

Given they did not receive any on-field punishment, they may attract a low-grade judiciary charge, but both should be able to avoid suspension with a guilty plea.

Whilst B. Stewart's kamikaze entry into the fray looked pretty spectacular, I don't see it as any worse than a bloke arriving and throwing punches. It was more a function of the speed with which he got there that made it look worse.

Not sure why people are saying Watmough. He arrived later at the same time as other Storm players and only ever looked to be a "peacekeeper".

Storm bench players - whilst long held to be a big no-no to leave the bench, I think it was an understandable reaction when it is 5 on 1 on one of their blokes and there were no other Storm players within a bullsroar to help protect Blair. From what I have seen, the Storm Bench players all looked to be "peacekeepers", not "aggressors". That being the case, the Storm should be fined for players leaving the bench and joining the fray, but no action against the individual players.

If any of the bench players have been "aggressors" then they should be up on a judiciary charge, perhaps a little stronger than B. Stewart and Lussick (ie miss 1 week), given they were not only 3rd man aggressor, but they had come off the bench to do so.

Manly Bench players - Manly officials should be commended for holding their bench players back. George Rose was itching to get in on the action.

Shane Rodney (in black dressing gown) did appear to briefly become involved as a "peacekeeper" and for that, Manly should be fined same as the Storm.

I don't think Manly should lose the 2 points because of Rodney, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NRL did go that way. IMO, it would be overkill, but they have made such a big deal about 14 men on the field that Tony Williams couldn't even go on to replace David Williams until the stretcher had physically crossed the sideline, so they may adopt a hard line view on Rodney.

Some may argue Rodney didn't actually cross the sideline and step onto the field. To my mind, that is irrelevant. He may not have crossed the sideline, but he clearly got involved in the play and therefore constitutes a 14th man. As I said, I think the correct punishment is a fine, not loss of 2 points, as his involvement was only fleeting, but won't be surprised if NRL go hard.

Only extras I would add

1 - G Stewart is the person laying puches in Blair while 4 of his mates are holding Blair down

2 - Waqa - enters the field of play

3 - Lowe joins tries to pull players out of the fight but does not enter the field of play

G Stewart - should get 6 to 8 weeks for multiple offences
Blair - 2 to 4 weeks
B Stewart - 2 weeks

Melbourne Storm fined $10K - for Waqa entering teh field of play

sting

Bench
Its generating a fair bit of publicity down here..the attention its brought to the game, maybe the NRL should be paying Manly and Melbourne more money than what they are paying Bon Jovi to sing that rubbish song..

Excellent news!

How is it being taken down there?

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
i just watched it numerous times.

1. i cant see glen stewert throw anything in the initial scuffle. he just gets balir in a headlock.
2. the only person who was third man in and threw punches was blair.
3. in the second altercation blair turns and gets in stewarts face when stewart goes to push him away blair grabs his jersey then stewert starts throwing.
4. the manly players sprinting to the second scuffle could be in trouble.

in my opinion blair is the worst offender in that entire incident.

dubopov

Coach

1. i cant see glen stewert throw anything in the initial scuffle. he just gets balir in a headlock.
3. in the second altercation blair turns and gets in stewarts face when stewart goes to push him away blair grabs his jersey then stewert starts throwing.

blair shouldn't have been sent off

bileduct

Coach

I agree completely.

The whole second incident would not have even occured if Blair kept running off.

Tommax25

Bench
People say it doesn't matter what Blair said to Glenn, Glenn is in the wrong. I disagree. If you took this attitude anyone could say anything they want to anyone and have no reprecussions. Why should you be able to say horrible, digusting, despicable things (and not saying Bliar did as I don't know what he said, but just hypothetical) and get away with it? I mean, what do you expect people to do?

Say Luke Lewis gets told by a random player "your mum is a f**king dirty s**t piece of shit and I f**ked the shit out of her, and afterwards smacked her up a bit because shes worthless whore trash, just like you". If Luke Lewis went to the ref and reported him for this the ref would laugh in his face and tell him to get on with it. If Lewis tells this player he shouldn't say things like that to people he's just rewarded the player by reacting and all that does is give the player incentive to say things like that again and again.

Glenn should and will get punished but people who say Blair did nothing wrong and saying something to Glenn is nothing deserving of retaliation are wrong imo.

simostorm

Bench
Confirmed, Brett Stewart did his knee when he ran in to hit Blair.. about 3 weeks they were saying on fox for his knee..

Feej

First Grade
I find it the media's gnashing of teeth and fake indignation in regards to this incident highly hypocritical. If these two sides meet again this year (and I'm sure that the NRL is secretly hoping it's the GF), the footage of last nights "Black Friday" :roll: will be shown wall to wall in advertising the match and will be referred to ad-nausium.

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
couldnt happen to a better person

You are a lowlife... Really... get a clue.
Slandering people or players that you hate for things that happen during a game is one thing, but a comment like that for a young man with a broken neck
That is completely piss poor

Loudstrat

Coach
Yep you are correct. 3rd man in is just commonly used as the generic term I guess.

When you factor in early guilty please and discounts and what not, most of the players I would charge will be suspended.

It would probably only end up with both Stewart brothers and Blair.
G.Stewart and Blair will even have 60 odd points taken off because they were sent off (1 minute = 1 point discount).
You did well linking the charges to the points - that's knowledge that isnt so common.

Also it must the said that the way the referees saw the first fight dictated the way the second unfolded. Applause for Hayne reversing the decision originally, but something like that happening that quickly, and obviously demanding stern action to settle it down meant that Stewart was a goner. Stewart IMHO reacted from his point of view - ie that Blair was hamering a defenceless teammate that was being held by the opposition.

Stewart, being the first to be sent, would have felt pissed off, understandably. Just as understandably, the touchie saw Stewarts run in as the thing that started the flare up. He did also not Blair's involvement - even though he didnt grasp the actual events as it unfolded on camera.

What baffles me is why Hayne did not walk away and deal with each sin-bin seperately? Normally it's take 5 steps away, deal with one player out of earshot of the opposition, then the other. Hayne didnt, and it's a credit to Smith and Lyon at that point that they remained calm and let the ref have his say.

I wonder whether we will hear ore regarding that aspect?

You can't count to 1? :/ He punched the dirty merkin who started the fight while he was still throwing trying to throw them ffs.
Are you saying that Lussick, while being held by 4 Storm players, was still throwing them? Cant Hinchcliffe defend himself?

The fact that Lussick could not defend himself from Blair because he was being held by 4 Melbourne players totally escapes you?

And it's funny that f*cktards like you havent tried proving me wrong, just dribbling some stupid abuse like normal.
Loudstrat has to have been dropped on his head as a baby.
Exhibit A

David Williams - broken neck. Puts the BS in perspective.
Yes it does. Agreed.

With how quick Stewart swung the moment Blair touched his Jersey. That wasnt retaliation, that was premeditated.
Stewart was the aggressor. No smokescreen manly fans/storm haters will put up will change that.
Just like Blair wasnt the aggressor the first time. Hinchy was.

Premeditated :lol:

I know. Stewart was walking off the field, and he MADE Blair run toward him. He MADE Blair stop when he got next to him. He MADE Blair bump into his shoulder, face up to him, grab his jersey, let fly with some sledging and giove him a shove.

Stewart MADE Blair do all that. He's obviously an alien, one of those Government plants out to get us all..........
ali21.jpg