What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly's bench

Frenzy.

Immortal
Is interesting and I think Hasler has got it wrong if that's what he's going with.

I'm guessing Cuthbertson is to be the "impact" player but he's not creative - he just finishes. Nothing creative on that bench at all. Add that to no Monas, no Burns, Lyon at 5/8 etc etc and they are going to struggle to score tries this year.

Looks like Ballin has to play 80 and he's not set the world on fire so far.

Prediction - Brett Stewart to get into dummy half as often as possible.

Orford is so ordinary that I think he's the only player in history not to of outplayed Noddy.

We can defend these merkins out of this game if we plug the ruck well.

IMNSHO

INTERCHANGE
Josh Perry,
Luke Williamson,
Adam Cuthbertson,
Mark Bryant

The named run on team

Brett Stewart,
Michael Robertson,
Steve Bell,
David Vaealiki,
Michael Bani,
Jamie Lyon,
Matt Orford ©,
Jason King,
Matt Ballin,
Brent Kite,
Anthony Watmough,
Glenn Stewart,
Steve Menzies

carinashark

First Grade
Yeah right . Thats a very strong side we are up against. Orford will out play Noddy and that Cuthbertson is a ball playing forward that is very 'Artie Beatson" . Our lads will have to play over and above to win.

Inferno

Coach
Have to agree Carina, I definitely rate Cuthbertson.

King, Bryant and Perry on the other hand...

I think you'll find Luke Williamson will relieve Ballin of his duties at some stage.

Yes there's not much creativity in their team.
But they have plenty of strike power out wide if they get some ball.
I was hoping Brett Stewart wasn't passed fit to play because he is a huge danger.

They've got alot of size and speed in their pack and will be a handful.

The game plan should be simple.
Harass Orford out of the game and work their forwards hard around the ruck.
We have the type of hookers who can exploit the tired big guys during the game.
Turn them around often to fatigue them with kicks on the 4th.
More acreage will be found kicking then.
Don't give them easy territory with sloppy mistakes or penalties.
Repeat sets with the 10 man interchange is a huge bonus.

Sage

Juniors
Most completed sets and most repeat set will win.

I was watching Luke Covel slotting them over this arvo. 15 metres left from the posts. The ones you expect him to get and sometimes misses. Bang, bang bang bang....... he didnt miss one.

Im calling a close score.

Inferno

Coach
Dragon Slayer said:
I think you'll find Luke Williamson will relieve Ballin of his duties at some stage.

Yes there's not much creativity in their team.
But they have plenty of strike power out wide if they get some ball.
I was hoping Brett Stewart wasn't passed fit to play because he is a huge danger.

They've got alot of size and speed in their pack and will be a handful.

The game plan should be simple.
Harass Orford out of the game and work their forwards hard around the ruck.
We have the type of hookers who can exploit the tired big guys during the game.
Turn them around often to fatigue them with kicks on the 4th.
More acreage will be found kicking then.
Don't give them easy territory with sloppy mistakes or penalties.
Repeat sets with the 10 man interchange is a huge bonus.

Maybe I am missing something, I do not rate stewart at all and don't know how he ever played rep footy.

I could honestly think of at least half a dozen fullbacks who are better than him.

lotti

Bench
you are missing something Brett Stewart's nickname is very appropriate, it's Snake but I'd rather call him Speedy as in Gonzales.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Vaealiki is the weak link...spent too long playing in a pissweak comp. Run some attack down his flank.

Inferno he has brilliant turn of speed.
Close to the tryline he just gets on the outside of defenders and it's goodnight Irene.

island pro

Juniors
Lego...

Vaealiki was a pretty decent player when he left, and the ESL does not turn everyone into rubbish.

Tony Carroll seemed fairly unaffected after his stint.

He might prove to have lost it but he was pretty dangerous in his day.

I would have to say that the Manly team looks pretty strong, Stewart, Menzies and maybe Vaealiki and from what I saw last year Bani, don't need too much creativity from the halves.

Our problem is that we do not sport those type of players in our backline, or at least have not for a while, and as such our lack of creativity hurts.

I am hopeful that Bird will continue his good form and that buster will just push noddy aside, if that was to happen I give us a great chance. If Bird doesn't play and noddy dominates proceedings, we will lose.

sharknows

Bench
I think Manly will have to work very hard to get points against us. However they may not need many..... the result will hinge on our ability to score tries. Close game is my prediction.

bluey

Bench
sharknows said:
I think Manly will have to work very hard to get points against us. However they may not need many..... the result will hinge on our ability to score tries. Close game is my prediction.

All teams have to work hard to beat us, the problem is that they did last year and beyond.
The manly side is strong but i would love to roll them straight off

sladden road

Juniors
ah Frenzy..
that is a great call on Orford..
hes total rubbibsh...
even worse haircut.
The Ox
baahaaaaaaaa.

Brett Stewart kills it..hes my fantasy fullback, scores tries like like Sregeant Chook Fowler took cash at the cross.....PLENTY.

cityshark

Juniors
Thats good news for us ! If you think Manly lack creativity look at us ?
Creative ?
DeGois
Kearney
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
They have
Orford
Cuthberson
Stewart
Lyon
Menzies ( most underated player in the game)
And that Bani guy scares me sh**less.

chiana

Juniors
sharknows said:

Agree
Not many points scored and a close game as a result. Discipline will be a factor. Give away as few penalties as possible.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
meh I reckon we will dominate in the forwards.

Giving us a win.

@ $3 I might have a punt

Weaponhead

Coach
Manly's go to play inside the opposition 20 is the 2nd man play to Stewart who gets on the outside of the opposing centre running an angle to score in the corner. It concerns me becuase neither Pom nor Simmo are great readers of the play at centre. Pom is a strong defender but I think that he still has some issues making decisions quickly.

Agree with the comments that Manly do not have much creativity. They went well last year on the basis of discipline and execution. Stewart is their X factor and he gets them points. Agree with Frnezy that we can frustrate them out of the game if we control the ruck and our centres read the seconfd man play inside our 20.

The only question is where do we get our points from.......................

Latest posts