What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Gasnier threads

Cooper-Man

Bench
GASNIER TO DEPART DRAGONS AT SEASONS END
St George Illawarra Dragons have today announced captain Mark Gasnier has decided to exercise a clause in his playing contract and leave the Dragons at the end of the 2008 season.
The local junior signed a five-year playing contract in June 2006 which was to be supplemented by commitments of third party sponsors, to keep Mark at the Dragons and in the game of rugby league.
Unfortunately after 18 months these third party commitments have not been fulfilled and Mark, through his manager George Mimis has been investigating opportunities outside the NRL and has agreed to terms with French Rugby Union team Stade Francais for two seasons, commencing at the end of the 2008 NRL season with the Dragons.
While the process has been complex and efforts have been made on many fronts to resolve the contractual problems Mark has chosen to exercise a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave the Dragons if the external financial commitments were not met.
“To acknowledge that Mark Gasnier is leaving the Dragons and the game of rugby league is indeed a sad occasion,” said Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust. “Mark is a rare talent, a St George junior who has developed into one of the games finest players.
“Two years ago we worked extremely hard to keep him at our Club and in the game when he was off contract and attracting significant offers from elsewhere and over the past two years we have continued to do all could to ensure he remained a Dragon but unfortunately his decision to leave is for circumstances beyond our control,” added Doust.
“Mark’s contributions to our Club both on and off the field have been significant and he will certainly be difficult to replace,” said Doust.
The Dragon’s captain explained the difficulties and frustrations associated with his decision.
“This definitely wasn’t an easy decision to make,” said Gasnier. “I love the Dragons and the Club has always been fantastic to me.
“I could not have asked for any more from this Club, Peter, the Board, Nathan and the players in the way that I have been treated and looked after for my entire career,” added Gasnier.
“I made the decision because it became very clear to me that the commitments that were made to me and that I agreed to in 2006 involving external parties was not going to eventuate.
“Everyone knows that we have a relatively short time as athletes and therefore we need to ensure that we maximise our opportunities on and off the field.
“I am very grateful to the Dragons and rugby league for the support that I have had and I know that I will leave behind some great friends but I am still here now and have much of this season left to focus on with the Dragons.
Mark made his first grade debut as a 19 year old in Round 8 of season 2000 and has represented City Origin (2001, 2003), NSW on 9 occasions and played 15 Tests.

www.dragons.com.au

timma

Juniors
It bloody sux . Gaz was my favourite player
And to make it worse Dragons let go of Josh Morris who would of been a heaps good replacement.
I now hope the Dragons with money from Gaz sign a decent replacement

Quigs

Immortal
p-nanny.jpg

Join us - join the dark side.

Cheers
Quigs

Cooper-Man

Bench
Regardless of the circumstances, this is really upsetting. f**k im gutted. this has just kicked in. I have said in the past that no player is bigger than the club, and I still stand by that...........BUT this is still upsetting.

People are now starting to say he is overrated and stuff. What a load of bullsh*t. He is a gun. He left Inglis for dead in the first origin. the only reason he didnt in game 2 is cause the whole team played sh*t and he got no ball.

f**k im gutted and pissed and upset and everything else. This could have been prevented. :(

gregstar

Referee
he'll be back.

furthermore he'll be back within 1 season.

he'll either be with gould or with stuart.

no1dragon

Juniors
Gaz you were my favourite player but you can piss off as far as I'm concerned. The quicker I forget you the better.

Great work doust, you deserve a medal. How about Thommo taking a pay cut a few years back just so people like Gaz and Ryles could get more money. It's guys like that who deserve to wear the red V, not guys like Gaz.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
he'll be back.

furthermore he'll be back within 1 season.

he'll either be with gould or with stuart.
Bold prediction greggie.

I'm waiting for it to show up a few sig files now. lol

I'll treat Gaz the same as all departing players. Good luck and bon voyage, and don't drink the water.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think people need to get a grip.

A million bucks a year... I'd think he's f*cked if he didn't take it !

The world doesn't revolve around our beloved Dragons.

Can only find one positive out of this - we now have $600k to spend, that was not there yesterday.

There are however plenty of negatives.

The worst thing is losing our #1 marquee player, who realistically, cannot be replaced.

The second worst is that we let J Morris go thinking that he would not be getting much game time in the centres with Gaz and Coops there...

Thirdly it would have been great to watch Gaz under Bennett's guidance. We will never know...

Then there is the impact this will all have on team morale, which seemed to have improved since Dell's arrival.

Hate to say it, but is our club jinxed or what??? :?

gregstar

Referee
i don't think anyone begrudges spaz his choice.

we're just sh*tty at the way it's all come about & the drawn out dribble.

Ribs

Bench
If Josh was there to take his place Id be more than happy to have the extra cash.

But we lost Josh, I assume, because we didnty have the money to match the dogs offer.

Thanks Gas, thats what Im pissed about.

He cant be captain any more, no f**king way.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i don't think anyone begrudges spaz his choice.

we're just sh*tty at the way it's all come about & the drawn out dribble.
Yep $1 million a year and all of France to party in. I can't say I blame him.

He certainly won the money battle.

But it looks he lost the PR battle - not that he gives a sh*t about that.

Either way, I think this was destined to be drama regardless of how it panned out.

Dave Q

Coach
He was going to go to union last year wasnt he?

Once he gets to France he'll start agonising about ESL etc.

Disloyal freak.

Release him now, do the game a favour.