What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Kangaroo tours return 2019/2020; Great Britain to play Ashes Series

Big Picture

Juniors
Oh well we better just play in the Olympics then. Easy fixed.
You can't seriously think that an Ashes series is going to rekindle Aussie fans' interest in the International game?

Let's get real here. The GB team last played in 2007 against New Zealand, and if we look at their record against Australia from thirty years earlier (1977) on we see that they only managed 7 wins in 42 matches or 1 out of every 6. There's no chance of them being stronger than England any time soon, so no chance of them being competitive in such a series.

Until something major changes for the better in northern hemisphere RL, Australia's only real competition is New Zealand. Maybe in 2021, if England plays Australia in the World Cup opener and pulls off a win, then the Kangaroos have a tough semi-final against New Zealand before playing England in the Final there might be an outside chance of some International silverware coming back to the northern hemisphere if the Aussie/Kiwi reserve teams (AKA Samoa etc.) don't derail things but I can't see any other prospects between now and then.

Pommy

Coach
Tours are M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E! They're a throwback to the days when hardly any countries played the game, so the same ones had to play each other over and over again. They're also a sign of a minor international sport; major international sports do not have tours, they have continental championships, World Cups and Olympic tournaments instead.

RL fans need to forget about tours and support the game's progression into what major world sports like soccer, basketball and handball have.

Basketball and handball are hardly major international sports. Is there a world cup for either of these sports? Cricket and Union both have tours and I would say both of those sports have a higher level of inter nation competition than either Basketball or Handball. Im not even sure WTF handball is.

adamkungl

Immortal
You can't seriously think that an Ashes series is going to rekindle Aussie fans' interest in the International game?

Let's get real here. The GB team last played in 2007 against New Zealand, and if we look at their record against Australia from thirty years earlier (1977) on we see that they only managed 7 wins in 42 matches or 1 out of every 6. There's no chance of them being stronger than England any time soon, so no chance of them being competitive in such a series.

Until something major changes for the better in northern hemisphere RL, Australia's only real competition is New Zealand. Maybe in 2021, if England plays Australia in the World Cup opener and pulls off a win, then the Kangaroos have a tough semi-final against New Zealand before playing England in the Final there might be an outside chance of some International silverware coming back to the northern hemisphere if the Aussie/Kiwi reserve teams (AKA Samoa etc.) don't derail things but I can't see any other prospects between now and then.

None of this is relevant to anything in this thread (or anything at all)

So what has any of that got to do with you saying tours are a joke and not part of any serious international sports?

I'd suggest f**k all. Along with the credibility that statement.

roughyedspud

Coach
Keiron Cunningham never played again for Wales after the 2000 world cup and most of iestyn Wales caps came between 1995-2000..

Wales decline from the 2000 RLWC semi to failing to qualify for the 2008 RLWC can be directly attributed to prominence of GB at the same time because the likes of Cunningham & Harris never played for wales,GB hosted two ashes series,hosted the kiwis twice as well as playing in 3 tri nations..the profile of Welsh RL was practically zero,for them to grow & develope their best players need to play for them!

Its not a surprise to me that since GB was disbanded Wales have slowly began to rebuild both on and off the field,winning the euros,playing in a 4 nation and qualifying for this world cup.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
An expanded, annual Euro Cup would have Wales playing minimum 5 games a year against strong opposition + vs touring teams, or their own tours.

Even with GB playing. And lets be honest, the chances of any significant amount of players from Wales Ireland or Scotland actually making the GB side are low anyway.

It's not the way we'd do things but if it pans out this way it's a net positive, sometimes we have to take what we can get.

Important thing is for the 6N to be given the profile and respect to get top players on the field and earn some publicity, sponsors, cash for the nations involved. Home games for all, well marketed events, big name players on the field.
The current/recent iterations of the Euro Cup and even WC Qualifiers have been pretty quiet events.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors

The poms last win against Australia was in 2006 as Great Britain not sure what the rest of this is about

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Keiron Cunningham never played again for Wales after the 2000 world cup and most of iestyn Wales caps came between 1995-2000..

Wales decline from the 2000 RLWC semi to failing to qualify for the 2008 RLWC can be directly attributed to prominence of GB at the same time because the likes of Cunningham & Harris never played for wales,GB hosted two ashes series,hosted the kiwis twice as well as playing in 3 tri nations..the profile of Welsh RL was practically zero,for them to grow & develope their best players need to play for them!

Its not a surprise to me that since GB was disbanded Wales have slowly began to rebuild both on and off the field,winning the euros,playing in a 4 nation and qualifying for this world cup.

That is true however Cunningham wasn't fit at the best of times and Harris was playing union from 2001 to 2004. Great Britain won't replace Wales. Wales can still play in the World Cup and Euro Cup and play as many test matches as they want. Scotland and Ireland didn't play many test before the 2008 world cup qualifers either so not sure if you can make that comparison. Wales can still grow and develop there players with GB. GB makes it easier for Wales to keep there players playing for Wales instead of having to play for England if they want to play the best countries

How many players have Wales lost to England over the last 10 years since GB was disbanded??
Who knows. Any player eligible for Wales could have chosen them, but mighy not have for that reason. If only England played Ashes back in the mid-90s the likes of Harris and Cunningham may have never played for Wales. Back then they could play for Wales in the WC and still play Ashes and go on tours. We know Rhys Evans declared himself for England despite being Welsh born and bred and Ryan Atkins has supposedly spoken about playing for Wales if he misses out on England so that's a clear sign that he might be keen for Wales if England wasn't part of major events. What we know is that good English born players were choosing Wales in the 90s and even into the 2000s (Harris, Cunningham, Cowie, Briers) but now that isn't happening. There is no doubt that Wales have not become stronger since GB was killed and there is reason to suggest it could have weakened them.

roughyedspud

Coach
Great Britain won't replace Wales.

I never said it would..what I'm saying is having a team above that of the national team relegated that national team in terms of importance..that's what you are missing..

Say Wales unearth a couple of genuine superstars in the next year or so..these lads get picked you go on the GB tour,at the same time Wales play in the European 6 nations,Wales lose their two superstar,as a result Wales do poorly in the comp...tell me how Wales benefit from GB there?

PS..they don't

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I never said it would..what I'm saying is having a team above that of the national team relegated that national team in terms of importance..that's what you are missing..

Say Wales unearth a couple of genuine superstars in the next year or so..these lads get picked you go on the GB tour,at the same time Wales play in the European 6 nations,Wales lose their two superstar,as a result Wales do poorly in the comp...tell me how Wales benefit from GB there?

PS..they don't

i understand it relegates it in terms of importance. it is supposed to as it would be a higher honor. Wales benfit beacause when there not playing for GB they can play for Wales in World Cups etc while still being able to play in a Lions tour.

What your missing is players are not going to comit to Wales and Scotland if they miss out on playing the likes of Australia and New Zealand. They will play for England and Wales will lose them competely. Not to mention the diffrence in finances

adamkungl

Immortal

PS..they don't

The counter argument is..

1) They benefit from experience playing against the top nations that Wales likely doesn't get outside an isolated game in a WC quarter final. All good and well to say Wales should just tour more but both financing a tour and managing to get the Kangaroos to bother playing them is easier said than done.
They take this experience back to Wales in the WC.

2) It's as likely as not these Wales superstars choose to rep England anyway.

roughyedspud

Coach
The sad thing is.....this tired,old argument started the day GB got disbanded and the simple fact is not a single player has opted for England over wales, and Wales doesn't need GB as proven by what's happened to Wales from 2008-now compared to 2000-2007..

It's simply not true that Wales,Scotland & Ireland need GB to retain players,it's complete and utter tosh..

roughyedspud

Coach
i understand it relegates it in terms of importance. it is supposed to as it would be a higher honor. Wales benfit beacause when there not playing for GB they can play for Wales in World Cups etc while still being able to play in a Lions tour.

What your missing is players are not going to comit to Wales and Scotland if they miss out on playing the likes of Australia and New Zealand. They will play for England and Wales will lose them competely. Not to mention the diffrence in finances

But they haven't missed out on playing against Australia & NZ,Wales,Scotland & Ireland have all played Australia and or NZ in recent years...and with the reinstating of tours and the greater frequency of RLIF global events the chances to play Australia & NZ has greatly increased

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
It's simply not true that Wales,Scotland & Ireland need GB to retain players,it's complete and utter tosh..

With the increase in matches you mentioned, it's likely that GB existing won't effect them overly negatively as it has in the past either.

King hit

Coach
Why were the traditional Kangaroos tours scrapped? I've heard a bit about the 1990 and 1994 tours and the players said that they were great tests and series. I remember the last Kangaroo tour in 2003 and even though Australia won 3-0 it was high quality Rugby League.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why were the traditional Kangaroos tours scrapped? I've heard a bit about the 1990 and 1994 tours and the players said that they were great tests and series. I remember the last Kangaroo tour in 2003 and even though Australia won 3-0 it was high quality Rugby League.

SL War followed by a lack of will and ambition

Latest posts