What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Kangaroo tours return 2019/2020; Great Britain to play Ashes Series

roughyedspud

Coach
He needs Wales & Scotland to agree...and that's not a guarantee..

Also it's not that mascord knew anything..it's mascord that keeps planting the seed in this fat idiots head...

adamkungl

Immortal
They won't pick a single real non-English player. The only Scots that will make the side will be Australians.

adamkungl

Immortal
He needs Wales & Scotland to agree...and that's not a guarantee..

Also it's not that mascord knew anything..it's mascord that keeps planting the seed in this fat idiots head...

I think at this stage it's an inevitability.

However, hopefully the other 3 nations dig their heels in a bit and get something in return.

1) A GB tour can not happen without a 4 Nations (England Scotland Ireland Wales) or 6 Nations (+France and ?) in the preceding 2 years.

2) Each nation must be represented in the squad.

3) Each national body gets a fair cut of the profits.

4) Each national body gets a funding boost from the RFL.

...But I don't expect leadership from anyone really. Shrug.

jim_57

Staff member

However, hopefully the other 3 nations dig their heels in a bit and get something in return.

1) A GB tour can not happen without a 4 Nations (England Scotland Ireland Wales) or 6 Nations (+France and ?) in the preceding 2 years.

Agree with this, Wales and Scotland would be mad not to go with the "What's in it for us?" approach. They would be in a position to make some demands and negotiate with the RFL.

Another big one for me would be if GB host a tour at least 1 game has to be in Wales or Scotland. For the record I don't think Ireland should be involved in any GB comeback, GB has no relevance to the Irish and has always seemed like a tack on because they are close.

Problem with all this is though I can see the RFL churning this idea out without even consulting WalesRL & ScotlandRL.

Pommy

Coach

GB is dead people need to just accept it.
As for all nations needing to be represented why?
Are the Kangaroos going to have players from SA,TAS and NT just because?
By all means if players deserve to be there on merit take them but weakening a side for no good reason isn't going to help the sport.
Those nations being represented could just be with players not good enough to represent England alone anyway.

Mascord has gone from someone with no credibility to someone who is actually influencing rfl policy and plans now apparently.

That's a mighty ascent.

roughyedspud

Coach
What I wrote on TRL

Wales & Scotland need to agree for the return of GB and That's not guaranteed..why would they agree? There's zero benefit for Wales & Scotland..even England! All it does is weaken the England brand and why the hell would anyone do that??

Then there's the issue of GB eligibility..if we use the current eligibility laws then Wales & Scotland's best players are australian....a GB team under these rules could easily have 4-5 Australians playing in GB chevrons,who wants that? And God forbid that team wins,a Brit based GB team loses for 50years,a GB team with Aussies starts winning and it makes a mockery of the whole history of GB...

if we go down the route of to be eligible for GB you must be born in GB then the GB team will be 17 Englishmen...and that's pointless.

As scubby alluded too all this would be better if Wales and or Scotland come down under with England on their own tours..something like this...

England - "warm up" test v a Pacific nation,3 tests v Australia, 2 tests v NZ

Wales - 1 test v Australia (their series warm up) and a couple of tests v Fiji & Tonga,for example,keep it all based in Sydney to keep costs down.

Scotland - 1 test v cook islands, 1 test v Samoa & 1 test v NZ,base it all in Auckland,again to keep costs down..

Something like that would serve rugby league in GB far better than sending 17 Englishmen down there in GB chevrons..

siv

First Grade
Sorry we have been progressing well as individual nations

Lets not go backwards and kill off Wales Scotland and Irish RL

adamkungl

Immortal
Methinks Wales and Scotland will agree because they have no real power and the RFL will offer them a pie and a coke for their troubles.

Pommy

Coach
What I wrote on TRL

Wales & Scotland need to agree for the return of GB and That's not guaranteed..why would they agree? There's zero benefit for Wales & Scotland..even England! All it does is weaken the England brand and why the hell would anyone do that??

Not that I want it to happen but would they need to agree?
As long as the RFL went with eligibility of being born in the British isles would any players likely to get a call up not qualify for England under residency at worst?
The RFL own the GB brand don't they?
It might not be the best way to go about things but I'm sure they could just give the other nations a damn good ignoring and run it as an England rebrand.
Hopefully it won't happen anyway, not unless we just loose the 4 nation plan altogether. I wouldn't mind a British team full time but we need to stick with one or the other. Obviously that would mean Ireland going it alone in my opinion.

roughyedspud

Coach
Not that I want it to happen but would they need to agree?
As long as the RFL went with eligibility of being born in the British isles would any players likely to get a call up not qualify for England under residency at worst?
The RFL own the GB brand don't they?
It might not be the best way to go about things but I'm sure they could just give the other nations a damn good ignoring and run it as an England rebrand.
Hopefully it won't happen anyway, not unless we just loose the 4 nation plan altogether. I wouldn't mind a British team full time but we need to stick with one or the other. Obviously that would mean Ireland going it alone in my opinion.

Running a GB team without full consent of the 3 nations it's supposed to represent knda defeats the point don't you think?

roughyedspud

Coach
Methinks Wales and Scotland will agree because they have no real power and the RFL will offer them a pie and a coke for their troubles.

I thought about this before seeing your post..

What can the RFL threaten the Welsh & Scots with? Removing of funding? Ooohh wait..

Wales & Scotland have a lot of say in this..as I've just said in the post before this..the RFL running GB without the consent of the other 2 nations GB supposedly represents renders it pointless..

There not a single positive to GB,at the minute,at all..look at all the comments on Facebook and twitter..none of them are about how good the team will be or how close the series might be...it's all nostalgic old farts saying how much they enjoyed getting on the drink for the 1984 tour....f**k off lol

Pommy

Coach
Running a GB team without full consent of the 3 nations it's supposed to represent knda defeats the point don't you think?
Which is what I implied in my post about t not being the right way to do it. I was just saying they wouldn't need to agree. If the RFL asked and they said no there's. I thing they could do to stop the RFL.

Roy80

Juniors
If the next Ellery Hanley, Jason Robinson and Gary Connolly come through from Wales, Scotland or Ireland, every single Englishman here would dust of their old Great Britain shirts in a heart beat.

And the Aussie and Kiwi fans would demand it, we are stinging for some decent competiton from the northern hemisphere.

But it won't happen because nobody plays the game in those countries, Wales aside perhaps.

So we can keep watching second rate Aussie and Englishmen pretending to sing the Scottish and Irish anthems with passion. Awesome.

adamkungl

Immortal
I thought about this before seeing your post..

What can the RFL threaten the Welsh & Scots with? Removing of funding? Ooohh wait..

Wales & Scotland have a lot of say in this..as I've just said in the post before this..the RFL running GB without the consent of the other 2 nations GB supposedly represents renders it pointless..

There not a single positive to GB,at the minute,at all..look at all the comments on Facebook and twitter..none of them are about how good the team will be or how close the series might be...it's all nostalgic old farts saying how much they enjoyed getting on the drink for the 1984 tour....f**k off lol

The history factor might sell a few more tickets once around, but it would go right back to normal once every realises it's same old England.

Really the only "positive" is the RFL probably thinking the can stack the team with Aussie-Scots and jag a win..

The key thing people want out of this really is a return to touring teams rather than the stale 4N concept.

roughyedspud

Coach
history..nostalgia...blah blah blah not winning anything for 50years is nothing to reminisce over lol there'll be 20,000 in melboure,25,000 in sydney and 40,000 in brisbane whether the aussies play england or GB it makes no difference..

and tours are returning..the kiwis coming up here next year and england* down under in 2019

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Reagan Grace the young St Helens winger has looked fantastic so far. Being from Wales he has two options, play in meanigless games for Wales against other small nations or represent England on heritage/residency and play in a competitve team against Australia and New Zealand.

Great Britain fixes this problem as he can play for Wales and represent Great Britian. This means Wales don't lose him to Englanf and he still has an oppurtunity to play against the likes of Australia/New Zealand.

jim_57

Staff member
Reagan Grace the young St Helens winger has looked fantastic so far. Being from Wales he has two options, play in meanigless games for Wales against other small nations or represent England on heritage/residency and play in a competitve team against Australia and New Zealand.

Great Britain fixes this problem as he can play for Wales and represent Great Britian. This means Wales don't lose him to Englanf and he still has an oppurtunity to play against the likes of Australia/New Zealand.

Technically he can play for England and Wales because they are different "tiers". That's if he's eligible for England.

siv

First Grade
The history factor might sell a few more tickets once around, but it would go right back to normal once every realises it's same old England.

Really the only "positive" is the RFL probably thinking the can stack the team with Aussie-Scots and jag a win..

The key thing people want out of this really is a return to touring teams rather than the stale 4N concept.

You can have tours without GB

4N should be adjusted to 6N but with teams 4 5 6 qualifying midyear

Latest posts