What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive News: SMH: Runaway Lyon says he's keen to rejoin Parramatta

Morenito

Juniors
The way i see it

If he comes home... Its all good i will support him as i do with MOST players. (The players i dont rate or like however i dont knock them or insult them, i just keep silent)

If he doesnt return, Its just someone for Parra fans to hate when we play against. Its always good to have someone you hate on an opposing team.

For now though, until news comes out im just going to worry about the team at present. CMon FUI!

PB

Bench
strider said:
they were asking on the footy show if parra should let lyon back...sterlo said an adamant no way! .... he said something along the lines of - for a guy who's supposedly homesick, he's got no worries in st helens ... ie. lyon lied his arse off

Yeah Sterlo said we paid alot of cash for one game. If you know your home sick after one game, you knew before the game, and why go to the north of England?!

I liked Sterlo's comments. Shows he still cares alot about the joint. Even if he didn't mean what he said and he would accept Lyon back, it still needed to be said in public by him that Lyon needs to do something for us, rather than just let him back in like nothing happened..

:clap:

fish eel

Immortal
Hollywood Jesus said:
I didn't need to discuss the other points. They are all good examples of a lack of morals - but they aren't a complete list.

:lol:

Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing then, isnt it. Gloss over ones own lack of morals to grandstand about somebody elses. :roll:

Stagger eel

Staff member
PB said:
Yeah Sterlo said we paid alot of cash for one game. If you know your home sick after one game, you knew before the game, and why go to the north of England?!

I liked Sterlo's comments. Shows he still cares alot about the joint. Even if he didn't mean what he said and he would accept Lyon back, it still needed to be said in public by him that Lyon needs to do something for us, rather than just let him back in like nothing happened..

:clap:

so, are you saying that those that want Lyon back, don't care about the club? I accept the discussion that's happening here and the many broad opinions, but I can't accept the insuation that those that want him back don't care about the club.

or am I being too paranoid???

PB

Bench
Your being paranoid (isn't that someone else's tag?).

People can care for the club and have a differing opinion, but it was the matter of fact way that Sterlo laid it down with some passion which we rarely see from him on topics relating to the Eels that showed he still cared.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
we'd be better by concentrating on retaining our own troops, like, Morris, Burt, Widders etc. Instead of spending big bucks on Lyon, who IS capable of leaving again

fish eel said:
:lol:

Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing then, isnt it. Gloss over ones own lack of morals to grandstand about somebody elses. :roll:

Puh-lease. One example where I have acted without morals? Not me mucking around or being an idiot - a real example where I have exhibited a true lack of morals?

Cause funnily enough, I've actually made this argument before - when everyone else wanted Smithy's head (gee, another example from posters here where it's ok to break contract when things aren't all rosy - go figure?!?!?!) I said no way keep him because we signed a contract and should honour it.

Example?

Avenger

Immortal
Hollywood Jesus said:
Puh-lease. One example where I have acted without morals? Not me mucking around or being an idiot - a real example where I have exhibited a true lack of morals?

Cause funnily enough, I've actually made this argument before - when everyone else wanted Smithy's head (gee, another example from posters here where it's ok to break contract when things aren't all rosy - go figure?!?!?!) I said no way keep him because we signed a contract and should honour it.

Example?

Serious question:

HJ are you one of those Heavy metal loving christians?

Nope.

I am quite partial to heavy metal :) but I am also a big fan of other styles of music - 70s funk, classical, hard rock etc etc I am even partial to some stuff like Madonna or Kylie Minogue (select songs)

Also, I am not a Christian. I have deep respect for the Christian faith and the teachings that it offers, however there does not appear to be any evidence that Christ was in fact the Son of God. Nevertheless, I think that the Old Testament is full of awesome stories and the New Testament offers some excellent advice on how we should live our lives.

fish eel

Immortal
Hollywood Jesus said:

Example?

I'd be more than happy to provide examples, more than happy - but this thread isnt about you and not many people would care anyway. Happy to have a private discussion if you so wish.

there's always the PM if you don't feel like posting here.

also, we can have a beer after the game, or you can come down to the Northern terrace today - I should be getting there sometime around 4:30-ish

Avenger

Immortal
ST GEORGE Illawarra has a secret contingency plan to lure crack centre Jamie Lyon to the club next season if Mark Gasnier walks out to play rugby union.

Lyon's manager George Mimis, who also acts as Gasnier's agent, last night confirmed the former Parramatta player would seriously consider joining the Dragons.

"At this stage it's a bit too early because Gaz isn't ready to make a decision," Mimis said.

"But we're expecting an offer to be tabled by the Australian Rugby Union next Wednesday.

"If Mark decides to go to rugby and the Saints also lose Trent Barrett to England, I'm sure Jamie Lyon would look at Saints as a serious option.

"They're the sort of club he'd like to play for. Nothing can happen at this stage because he is under contract to Parramatta. We'll wait to see what happens"

Lyon, who is currently playing in England for St Helens, has also been linked to a return to his old club Parramatta. Manly and Souths have shown an interest, but none of them could match the money Saints will have available should Gasnier and Barrett leave.

"We are always interested in quality players," Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said.

"Of course we'd have a lot of money available if both Gaz and Trent weren't here."

The Lyon development came on the day Doust and Dragons coach Nathan Brown met Channel 9 boss Eddie McGuire and head of sport Steve Crawley in a bid to explore ways to keep Gasnier from switching codes.
But McGuire did not give any guarantees yesterday that the broadcaster would step in.

McGuire was positive about the 45-minute meeting in his office but remained non-committal last night when he spoke to The Saturday Telegraph.

"It was a good meeting," said McGuire. "It wasn't as if they came asking for Mark to be host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire or anything like that.

"Nor did they ask for a cheque, and nor will they be getting one.

"We were able to talk about some other ideas, to help them with some of our expertise in marketing.

"St George are one of the great clubs and we are the long-term rights holders of the game so we would like to see Mark stay as well. But we are not going to become a second account for footballers."

Brown also confirmed that there was nothing concrete to come out of the talks in terms of financial support.

"We didn't go there to look for a job or ask for cash. We understand how Channel Nine have got a big stake in the game of rugby league," Brown said.

"We just wanted to talk on what opportunities there may be on keeping Gaz in the game."

Gasnier is expected to receive a formal offer from the Australian Rugby Union next week, reportedly worth up to $700,000.

The Dragons say they cannot compete with what rugby has to offer financially and have asked Nine and the NRL to step in.

But all indications are Gasnier is on the verge of switching codes.

It would be a blow to the Dragons as he has developed into one of the best centres in the world.

They could also lose skipper Trent Barrett who is expected to take up an option and play in England next year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
my theory is if he doesn't sign before June 30 he's Wollongong bound, they'll have some massive money on offer.

Avenger

Immortal
eelavation said:
my theory is if he doesn't sign before June 30 he's Wollongong bound, they'll have some massive money on offer.

aslong as they give us Creagh and Sims. I'll take that. :D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what the hell does McGuire and Ch 9 have to do with Gaz staying in RL ??

strider

Post Whore
I just love the whole "anti-tampering deadline" myth :lol:

its like fishing with a REALLY juicy prawn on your hook, but you put a cage around the hook so the fish can't get to it yet.

basically don't "officially" offer players contracts - but use the media to make damn well sure they know you have money and would like to spend it on them

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
aslong as they give us Creagh and Sims. I'll take that. :D

if they lose Barret and Gaz they'll hold on to the rest and make a big play for Lyon. both Barret and Gaz are on a combined income of a million.