What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sea Eagles @ Leichhardt Oval

Who will win? Round 1: Wests Tigers v Sea Eagles

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gordsy

Juniors
We’ve got 2 sub-standard options for 5/8.Major diff is Benji is costing us 1/3 what the dunce Cleary believed Reynolds was worth.Also Benji can deliver a winning game changing play every blue moon whereas Reynolds isn’t a 5/8’s arsehole.

Ive no doubt if not later this season but definitely in ‘20 Madge will have found an alternative 5/8.Hopefully Gamble or one of the quality kids we have comes on this season.

That's a lot of money for someone to play reggies and who do we ship him to so we can free up his cap space. Can't see many takers at 800k, especially if he aint in first grade.

Tiger05

First Grade
WESTS TIGERS

1. Corey Thompson
2. Mahe Fonua
3. Paul Momirovski — Club debut
4. Esan Marsters
5. Robert Jennings — Club debut
6. Benji Marshall (capt.)
7. Luke Brooks
8. Ben Matulino
9. Robbie Farah
10. Alex Twal
11. Ryan Matterson — Club debut
12. Luke Garner
13. Elijah Taylor

Interchange:
14. Russell Packer
15. Thomas Mikaele —NRL debut
16. Josh Aloiai
17. Michael Chee Kam

Reserves:
18. Josh Reynolds
19. Matt Eisenhuth
20. Jacob Liddle
21. Chris McQueen

Tiger05

First Grade
I'd have Liddle over Aloiai but I can understand picking that team. Maquire going for 4 forwards and not playing Reynolds is I think pretty good.

With mbye out probably the best team we could have picked. I wouldn't have MCK and Josh both on the bench as they're pretty much the same player. I would have started liddle. We need to see what he can do and how long he can do it for.

Overall I'm rapt. Madge has made some pretty tough calls and as mentioned above great idea to split packer and mats. A bit of size on the wings helps and while I don't want to wish ill will on nofo I think it's a blessing in disguise. Fonua's defence could be a worry. Bring on Saturday!!!!!

Tiger Ted

Bench
That's a lot of money for someone to play reggies and who do we ship him to so we can free up his cap space. Can't see many takers at 800k, especially if he aint in first grade.
We r going to have to take a massive haircut to offload this useless merkin.We won’t ever b a premiership force with has-beens like Reynolds & Nofa & Madge knows too well what’s required to win the comp.

gordsy

Juniors
We need more depth in the pack. Mck, Eiso, and Taylor wouldn't scare the womens league.

Replace them with Gubb and Musgrove and now we have a tough pack.
Anyone know why Mybe is out ?

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
With mbye out probably the best team we could have picked. I wouldn't have MCK and Josh both on the bench as they're pretty much the same player. I would have started liddle. We need to see what he can do and how long he can do it for.

Overall I'm rapt. Madge has made some pretty tough calls and as mentioned above great idea to split packer and mats. A bit of size on the wings helps and while I don't want to wish ill will on nofo I think it's a blessing in disguise. Fonua's defence could be a worry. Bring on Saturday!!!!!

MCK gives them some centre coverage, Josh A I hope is swapped with Liddle

simmo05

Bench
Yay, cant believe in round 1 we get to watch cut out passes to no merkin sail into the 3rd row, and numerous barnstorming dummy half runs on the last, how f**ken lucky we are!

west4ever

Juniors
Yay, cant believe in round 1 we get to watch cut out passes to no merkin sail into the 3rd row, and numerous barnstorming dummy half runs on the last, how f**ken lucky we are!
You will be eating your own words when they kill it and win by 30 you can mark my words

magpie_man

Juniors
I don't mind the team.
Thompson will do his job at the back.
Fonua and Jennings should give us some pretty good set starts.
I suspect Benji and Robbie will start the season reasonably well but fatigue will hit as the season drags on.
I like Packer coming off the bench.
As already mentioned, I'd like to see Liddle given a bench spot in place of Mayonnaise.
If you inject Mbye, Musgrove and Lawrence into that side I can see us having a real crack at the top 8.

Best team we could muster given injuries.

Thompson is safe at fullback. Fonua and Jennings offer some punch and points out wide. Momo is an unknown quantity but comes with big wraps. Manly backline looks worse than ours which I guess is plus.

Not sure on Benji starting over Reynolds but it's early days and maybe Madge feels Benji is a better fit for Brooks since they partnered far more last year than he and Grub.

Wonder if Madge will use ET as a ball player in the middle.

Good to see T-Mac get a go on the bench and looking forward to how the prop rotation pans out with Packer and Matulino split up.

The game will be won up front so hopefully our pigs are up for it.

Das Hassler

Bench
Thankful we have Thompson as a backup fullback. ..solid and he's as eager in attack as Mbye ...always sniffing for an opportunity and always there in support....also doesnt hurt to keep Mbye honest for the spot. Speaking of which if Thommo goes REAL well the domino effect keeps some pressure on the 6 with Mbye saying he's perfectly happy to play anywhere....pressure makes diamonds

Vozzy

Juniors
McGuire has inherited this squad from the last 2 coaches basically. Having 4 forward bench is great I reckon. Late in games we were gassed last 2 years because we have had backs and utility wasting a bench spot making big forwards only last 60min. After that we leak in points. He did this at souths.

Regarding 5/8 it's obvious to him Reynolds and Marshall are not long term answers for him but Benji to me has more upside than Reynolds especially if this is another transition year for him to work out a squad he wants. Reynolds isn't his buy even if he is on 800k. Brooks went to another level last year with Benji.

I don't think we will make the 8 but I'm actually excited to see some of the new guys as well as the young guys coming through. Hopefully Mikilele and Clark can pressure Packer and Ben Mat for their spots aswell as the young halves in ISP.