What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sea Eagles @ Leichhardt Oval

Who will win? Round 1: Wests Tigers v Sea Eagles

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stryker

First Grade
I hope the Farah haters will shut the f**k up for at least a week after that. By far best on ground.
I thought he was easily our best as well but went on the other forum and he is barely rating a mention points wise.
Is he really that hated or are people being stubborn?
I thought his kicking and passing games were troubling the Eagles all night long and his leadership in the attacking zones were necessary for the win.

Shredder

Juniors
Honestly, people get an idea in their heads and they dont change them Stryker.

I also reckon he was best on park. Didnt overplay his hand at all. His kicking was great and made 40+ tackles. Other teams would love a hooker like he played yesterday.

Brooks was great to. Fonou seems to have taken to working under Madge, as he f**ked up a few times, but hes net positive after that game. The new Chooks players played well to. Thomson also showed hes a handy fullback replacement.

Id like to see Madge swap Packer and Matts and have Packer start next week. See what difference it makes. Other than that Id go with the same side. Cant change a winning formulae.

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks, Robbie and Benji were from what I can see a little rocks and diamonds but at the same time they delivered the win to us and they were a lot better than DCE.

Fonua and Aloiai were special. Matterson looks good but I think other players won that for us.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I know there were a few mistakes from him but I saw enough in Garner to make me think we have a natural replacement for Rowdy when it does happen and a backrower that is going to develop under Maguire very nicely. He hit a few gaps yesterday...he will get better.

Garner and Matterson in the back row are a good future for the club.

good 1st up win. The forwards really laid a foundation in attack and defence. A big pat on the back to Packer. He got involved and was running into space and even ball playing a bit.

Great tactical kicking game to suit the conditions. Great patience as well that bore fruit in the second half. We did leave about 2 or 3 tries out there but we'll take that win especially considering the conditions.

A good team effort. Manly were their own worst though. Nest weekend will be a good test to see where we are.

Tiger05

First Grade
Packer and Garner were both good. Matulino was fine as well. He got the quick play the ball when Robbie scored.

Front-Rower

First Grade
That was pretty ordinary last night. A try off of a lucky rebound and Garner bumping off DCE was really all we could muster up with all that possession and territory.

Marshall and Farah LOL should be lining up with Hodgson’s men on reserve grade game days.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I thought it was a pretty terrible performance TBH. I know it’s round 1, awful conditions and new combinations etc but I doubt we beat many other teams last night. If Brendan Elliot passes for an easy try it’s 8-0 and who knows what happens.

Farah and Benji were horrible in the first 40. We had enough ball to lead 18-0 yet it was the same old Farah playing for himself and Benji to slow to trouble anyone. It wasn’t u til we got the lucky try and calmed down (or manly just went to pieces) and started playing better.

Our pack was great, Aloiai had the game of his life. That needs to be his standard now, we can’t have him going back to the 1 good, 2 error filled games we’ve seen in the past. Garner and Mikaele impressive, there’s two good first graders there. Thompson and Marsters continued on from last year. Disappointed in Jennings, he looks unfit and slow to me, if Mbyes fit next week I’d move Corey to left wing and leave Mahe on the right. He has some mistakes in him but more upside then Jennings atm.

We need to improve a lot on that to beat the warriors next week. They look very slick and they’re outside backs will murder ours if we aren’t on.

west4ever

Juniors
That was pretty ordinary last night. A try off of a lucky rebound and Garner bumping off DCE was really all we could muster up with all that possession and territory.

Marshall and Farah LOL should be lining up with Hodgson’s men on reserve grade game days.
With weather that they played in, that’s a good result, in a dry game played like that, we win by 40

Vozzy

Juniors
Manly actually had a massive starting pack and could barely get out of their half. With the referees letting play roll on this year the big pack teams seem to be gassed early like the eagles and even the broncos really struggled with go forward. When our fresh bench came on they were getting beyond the advantage line a lot and there was good ball movement amongst the forwards aswell. This allowed the outside backs to get in the game. Hard to judge cos of the rain but it looked like our game plan was to run our backrowers at the halves all game. They executed poorly but once we wore them down it was DCE and Elgey who missed tackles that led to trues.

trevcogger

Juniors
Not flashy ....Ordinary first half but much more effort in the 2nd......
Aloiai MOM...But Farah top game also.
Bit dissapointed in Jennings....Had a run away try in 2nd half but had no confidence in his speed.....

simmo1

First Grade
I thought we were good without being great. Manly were dreadful though - a long year for them ahead.

Pleasing to see we've maintained our good defence from last year. I still worry about our ability to score points against the top sides though.

Got on here a few times last night and today and thought I'd better not say much because I saw things very differently.

Glad you thought
it was a pretty terrible performance TBH
Vic but more so, I agree with what you wrote Trev,
Not flashy ....Ordinary first half but much more effort in the 2nd...

I know it was round 1, I know there were new players this year, a new coach, terrible conditions etc etc but the handling and options in the 1st half, gee, they were just like we new the team was capable of !!
I made a comment at half time that Reynolds will 'be rushed back into reserves' in order to get some game time and combination going with Liddle. I can't wait for that.

Aloiai was simply outstanding and Garner looked very good but the press likes a good, warm and fuzzy story and the 35 year old gave them that.

I like a the front row rotation of Packer, Matulino, Aloiai & Mikaele I'd have Twal at 13 and punt ET to the bench.

And we can't forget what magpie4ever said.
Any & every win is a great win.
especially for us long suffering West Tiger supporters.

Das Hassler

Bench
Aloiai x 2 he worked his arse off and was our most effective forward with the ball in hand. I do like Packer off the bench...entirely different attitude displayed. Starting he just settles into a standard grunt mindset...off the bench he's going into battle so that's the way to get maximum value out of him.
2 points...a good kickoff with F/A ...no injuries and positivity. Good start
No club or player dramas also a big bonus