What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Canterbury @ Suncorp Stadium, Milton

Who will win? Round 10: Canterbury v Newcastle

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macavity

Referee
12 or 13 wins needed to make the finals, lets be optimistic and say 12 so we need 10 more.

Dogs x 2
Broncs x 2
Warriors
Raiders x 2
Titans x 2
Tigers

Not saying it's likely, but they can lose the 5 games against the good teams if they can clean up against the scrubs.

That does not sound like the type of thing we would do.

Knight Tales

Juniors
The fact that the above scenario exists as a possibility, and we are somehow then going to miraculously knock off top 4 teams in The finals, is just laughable. I’d rather us have a crack like we did in the first half in NQ, and potentially lose the second half of every game rather than just accept a mediocre effort every week as inevitable. Our first 40 up there was like our first half against the Roosters. We stayed in the fight and things went our way. Then we remembered the last 6 games prior and played to script!

Knight76

Juniors
Our season went to crap when Barny got sent off, his return could be the moment we turn it around.

Probably not though.

Woosh

Head Moderator
KNIGHTS coach Adam O'Brien feels like a "super fit" Mitch Barnett will help bolster Newcastle's forward pack while hinting Dane Gagai and Kurt Mann could also return as the club looks to snap a seven-game losing streak.
O'Brien reckons Barnett, back from suspension and having recently announced he's leaving the Knights next year, looks in top shape ahead of Friday's clash with the Bulldogs in Brisbane.

Warriors-bound Barnett was sent off in round three and has been sidelined for each of the ensuing defeats, which now sees Newcastle anchored to the bottom of the competition ladder alongside Canterbury.

"We're very pleased to have him back. He brings aggression, he brings attitude and he brings experience," O'Brien said from the Knights' base on the Sunshine Coast on Monday.
"He's super fit. It's the fittest we've seen him in a long time. He's very keen to make up for lost time, knowing we haven't won a game since he's been suspended. Having to watch from the sidelines has been tough."

O'Brien expects to have multiple players back on deck for Magic Round's opening fixture at Suncorp Stadium.

This potentially includes Gagai, who suffered a fractured cheekbone just over a fortnight ago, and Mann, who missed the last two outings with an ankle injury, both earlier than anticipated.
"He [Gagai] is a chance for this week actually," O'Brien said.

"We'll know more tomorrow afternoon obviously [when the team is officially named] ... but Dane's up here with us, so is Kurt Mann and Mitch Barnett. We've got a few to come back this week."
O'Brien says having Origin representative Gagai on the park is like "extra coaching staff being out there the way he directs some of the younger guys around".
Tyson Frizell (illness), Brodie Jones (elbow) and Sauaso Sue (concussion) didn't play in Saturday's 36-16 loss to the Cowboys in Townsville and the trio still need to pass fitness tests this week.

Edrick Lee finds himself in a similar boat having failed a HIA on the weekend.
The young halves combination of Phoenix Crossland and Tex Hoy may continue with doubt surrounding Adam Clune (knee) and Jake Clifford (personal).
Mid-season recruit Anthony Mildford (contract) isn't available until next round.
Jack Johns has been cleared of a fracture, but the arm has been broken previously with screws inserted. It's unsure how long he will be in the casualty ward.

In relation to meeting the Bulldogs, also with four competition points, O'Brien admitted "two teams are going to turn up desperate" but doesn't see this 80 minutes as make or break for the Knights.
"Our full focus is on the Bulldogs and getting our processes right. We're not even halfway through the competition yet so we know there's still plenty of time," he said.

O'Brien says Canterbury "starts very fast and likes to be out in front. We need to match motors with them because we know they'll come at us".
The coach didn't weigh into playing at Suncorp Stadium, where the Knights have won three of their last five matches.
"It doesn't matter where we play them, we've just got to be better," he said.
During their seven-game losing streak, Newcastle has conceded 232 points and scored 62. More than half of those points were leaked in the last three games - Cowboys (36-16), Storm (50-2), Eels (39-2) - letting in 125 and posting just 20.
Fifty days have passed since the Knights opened the 2022 campaign with back-to-back wins against the Roosters (20-6) and Tigers (26-4),
They next host the Broncos at McDonald Jones Stadium on May 19 and tackle the Warriors in Redcliffe nine days later before a bye weekend.

Jono078

Referee
In relation to meeting the Bulldogs, also with four competition points, O'Brien admitted "two teams are going to turn up desperate" but doesn't see this 80 minutes as make or break for the Knights.
"Our full focus is on the Bulldogs and getting our processes right. We're not even halfway through the competition yet so we know there's still plenty of time," he said.
And this is one of several things I don't like about AOB.

By saying this it subconsciously gives the team an out.. How about saying 'we're looking at this as a do-or-die match, just as the Bulldogs are. Neither of us want to finish the round at the bottom of the ladder, and a win here corrects our course and gives us something to build upon.'

It's almost as if he fears to tell the team it's do or die in fear they fail and then don't recover from it for the rest of the season..

I don't know what the Dogs are paying but geez I feel they'll be the more desperate team on Friday.

Knight Tales

Juniors
A win really doesn’t change much for me. It will be seen as a reason to back the coach and justify it all as injuries. I want to believe Gardner will run out of patience but I don’t see anything changing until the hip pocket of WESTS is hit ie. people stop turning up to games or demand change. Our forum is a minority sadly.

Last edited:

Haffa

A lot of us called it at the time. You just knew that was a moment that derailed us from the tracks.

Yeah it's a convenient excuse but it also happened just as we thought. Club has been incredibly predictable this year it's made me think I should become a clairvoyant! Eerie how many things I've been spot on with this year.
There were signs the week before against Wests. That was one of the worst wins I’ve ever seen. Neither team wanted to win. They started well against an understrength Penrith but I’d hardly blame that one incident. It’s just the excuse the team decided to use.

perverse

Referee
A win really doesn’t change much for me. It will be seen as a reason to back the coach and justify it all as injuries. I want to believe Gardner will run out of patience but I don’t see anything changing until the hip pocket of WESTS is hit ie. people stop turning up to games or demand change. Our forum is a minority sadly.
A win against the Dogs changes bugger all, really. Flog them 50 - 0 and go on a 4-5 game winning streak and I'll be impressed.

slotmachine

First Grade
They definitely need to win the next 3, and maybe even jag one against the panthers with half their team out for origin.

Still no Clifford, Gagai or Mann..

TEAM LIST vs dogs

1. Kalyn Ponga (C)
2. Edrick Lee
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Dominic Young
6. Tex Hoy
7. Adam Clune
8. David Klemmer
9. Chris Randall
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Mitchell Barnett
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Leo Thompson

Interchange:

14. Phoenix Crossland
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Pasami Saulo
17. Mathew Croker

Extended Bench:
18. Simi Sasagi
19. Sauaso Sue
20. Brayden Musgrove
21. Jaron Purcell
22. Krystian Mapapalangi
23. Kobe Rugless
24. Ben Talty

Jono078

Referee
So much for 6 guys coming back...

Basically it's just Clune (who knows if he's even close to 100%, not sure what a week off did for his injury) and Barnett which is a big in.. But I have no confidence in this mob doing anything against the Dogs.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Still no Clifford, Gagai or Mann..

TEAM LIST vs dogs

1. Kalyn Ponga (C)
2. Edrick Lee
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Dominic Young
6. Tex Hoy
7. Adam Clune
8. David Klemmer
9. Chris Randall
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Mitchell Barnett
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Leo Thompson

Interchange:

14. Phoenix Crossland
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Pasami Saulo
17. Mathew Croker

Extended Bench:
18. Simi Sasagi
19. Sauaso Sue
20. Brayden Musgrove
21. Jaron Purcell
22. Krystian Mapapalangi
23. Kobe Rugless
24. Ben Talty
Also no frizell….not even in extended squad

Old dog

Juniors
Very odd extended bench when reportedly can’t play Pythian as not in top 30 or development but naming Purcell, Rugless and Talty

Knight Tales

Juniors
Why mention Gagai and others are fair chances of a return when you have no real idea! O’Brien seems to be just throwing out lines to the media in hope they hold some sort of truth. Just say unlikely to available when asked.

Burwood

Bench
Am I the only one where a Barnett looking to make up for lost time scares the shit out of them?? He’ll end up sin-binned for making late contact on the kicker or some other similar offense.