What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 13 vs Manly @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 13: Newcastle v Manly

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
Looking for positives, we played terribly and still won. I know Manly had a lot out and we got lucky with a couple of decisions but we still probably would have lost that last year.

First game with a new spine too, hopefully can get the combinations a bit better over the Bye.

Best was great. Ponga got smashed a lot too and he got back up.

Other than that, pretty dour.

aqua_duck

Coach
How did we manage to have a forward on the bench that only got 14 minutes when we had a backrower miss 20 minutes of the game?

Our bench usage this match was absolutely shameful. It wasn't the only shameful thing... but god...
Just this match?

Yosh

Coach
We did get the 2 points but did we deserve it? Manly were terrible. Would have one try if we didn't throw those intercepts.

We still need a proper hooker. We still need a goal kicker. We still need to use our bench effectively. We still need game management.

I'm happy to see the 2 points on board but our performance was depressing once again.

mozza91

Coach
Ugly win but got the result in the end.

Scoreline was a bit deceptive. Scored 6 tries to 3 (goalkicking is a massive issue for us) handed them 2 tries on a platter and should have scored a few more.

Thought both the Safs had their best games of the season, Thompson and Fitz were strong and all the outside backs were excellent.

A shitload of improvement is needed but there was some good contributions out there today.

perverse

Referee
I thought Best was really threatening and yeah, should have scored a couple more tries. The least of our worries out there, but I do get with so much other garbage going on that the held-ups feel worse. There was one of those he definitely should have got down (the first one where he didn't get low). The others were as much good desperation from Manly as anything else.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Dumb is still killing us.
Defence held up as it should’ve against that Manly side missing so many players, but dumb decisions handed them 2 tries on a platter.
Until we minimise the dumb and learn to kick goals, we will lose more than we win.

Old dog

Juniors
A win is a win BUT use of bench was terrible, I didn’t expect Miller to get a run unless an injury occurred or we were 20+ in front with 10 to go BUT what were we doing with playing long minutes with our pack, surely making changes 20-30 minutes in giving Dan, Thompson and Elliott a break with JSaf, Hetherington and Croker a run and bring the others on second half, fresh and ready to finish them off.
The non use of Miller shows a lack of respect for a player, picked but not used and the rest of the team suffered and feel for Crosslands who more than anyone needed a break 10 mins either side of half time, Coach error.

Yosh

Coach
Thompson was a ray of shining light once again. Not a world beater but we are getting great value from him. Gets paid 300k a year but playing like a 600k. We need more value like him from our salary cap.

Yosh

Coach
The problem with KP is that he operates at light speed while the rest of the team operates at 30km/h. Our passes out of dummy half are at 2km/h...

I am not going to say another bad word about Crossland anymore because the lad is busting his butt off out there every week. His defense in the middle is excellent and since AOB refuses to sub the poor lad off, he is probably close to fainting every game. Dummy half work is atrocious but it's not his fault suddenly he has be the nest Danny Buderus.

aqua_duck

Coach
Butchering try after try is great?
To be fair though he did well to make a half break and get to the line, there was a set line
The problem with KP is that he operates at light speed while the rest of the team operates at 30km/h. Our passes out of dummy half are at 2km/h...

I am not going to say another bad word about Crossland anymore because the lad is busting his butt off out there every week. His defense in the middle is excellent and since AOB refuses to sub the poor lad off, he is probably close to fainting every game. Dummy half work is atrocious but it's not his fault suddenly he has be the nest Danny Buderus.
agreed, you could tell Crossland was spent in the second half and didn’t help he had Taniela Paseka running at him most of the second half. The dummy half work is definitely not there, few times the forwards had to check their runs because the service is just a split second off. I just don’t really know what attributes Crossland brings to the position besides trying hard, his service and distribution just isn’t there and I don’t think it ever will and he hasn’t got the speed off the mark to be a running threat.