What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 15 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce

Who will win? Round 15: Canberra v Newcastle

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
AOB "For now I can give them a pat on the back and I'll review specifics on Tuesday".

Yes it's fair they did turn up for the second half, but this is the predicament we get ourselves into each week. How about no pats on the backs until an 80 minute performance?

I think there was a big discussion about standards going on in this forum recently. This is an example of not quite having that high enough standard, IMO.

perverse

Referee
You might want to re-read what I said.

What does a new coach do with this squad, right now?
They don't let it get to this point in the first place. He's got 3 years of recruiting for us under his belt, and this is what we're left with. It's his squad.

Burwood

Bench
Brennan left because he was working too many hours and his heart wasn’t in it. Better he stays?

Sounds like the politicians who suddenly retire to spend more time with their family, and are working for big dollars in the private sector soon after.

Alex28

Coach
They don't let it get to this point in the first place. He's got 3 years of recruiting for us under his belt, and this is what we're left with. It's his squad.
So your solution is a new coach doesn’t let the old coach get things this bad.

Awesome solution.

Jono078

Referee
Just curious @Alex28, do you not at least acknowledge there's a chance a different coach is capable of getting better out of this current squad?

Do you honestly believe AOB is doing the best with what he has?

Alex28

Coach
Sounds like the politicians who suddenly retire to spend more time with their family, and are working for big dollars in the private sector soon after.
I mean, he left to become a real estate agent in what will be a terrible market to sell.

Maybe his decision making isn’t what we need any way?

perverse

Referee
So your solution is a new coach doesn’t let the old coach get things this bad.

Awesome solution.
I mean I just can't with you it appears. The current squad is miles worse than the one O'Brien was left with. He's had 3 years and made things a lot worse.

Seage

Juniors
Great. You have 997 to go.

Brennan left because he was working too many hours and his heart wasn’t in it. Better he stays?
If you believe that explanation, then your optimism is commendable.

We obviously fundamentally disagree on the issues at the club. We gain little by debating it further.

Johns Magic

Referee
Love the guy and he did plenty good, but a couple of crucial moments Dom Young would love to have over again.

Needs to have a think about how to defend that Cotric-try scenario in future. Dom is big and tough, that ain’t the issue. Deer in headlights is a mental thing for a lot of young outside backs.

He is coming on in leaps and bounds. Keep adding.

Alex28

Coach
Just curious @Alex28, do you not at least acknowledge there's a chance a different coach is capable of getting better out of this current squad?

Do you honestly believe AOB is doing the best with what he has?
There is nothing ideal about where we are right now, and I’m a bit lost around why we are so flat and slow on the field.

Some of that has to fall on Ponga as captain. Some has to fall on the senior players. Some had to fall on the coach.

He’s not going to get the sack. Toohey’s article says as much. We have to recruit a halfback for next year so we have a better spine. The club really is paying the price now for junior identification and development.

Alex28

Coach
I mean I just can't with you it appears. The current squad is miles worse than the one O'Brien was left with. He's had 3 years and made things a lot worse.
No, I asked what a new coach can do, and your answer was not letting the old coach regress.

Thats what you said. You can’t throw your arms up saying I don’t get it.

Alex28

Coach
If you believe that explanation, then your optimism is commendable.

We obviously fundamentally disagree on the issues at the club. We gain little by debating it further.
He said as much to Barry Toohey. Do I not believe him?

You don’t have any answers and are giving up. Similar to what you are accusing the coach of doing then?

perverse

Referee
No, I asked what a new coach can do, and your answer was not letting the old coach regress.

Thats what you said. You can’t throw your arms up saying I don’t get it.
I literally can't understand what you're saying? That isn't what I said, that's what you said that I said. I must be missing something, because I said nothing about the old coach. I said the current coach, Adam O'Brien, has had 3 years in the job and made our squad a lot worse in a number of ways. That's what I said. I don't know where you're getting the rest.

Alex28

Coach
I literally can't understand what you're saying? That isn't what I said, that's what you said that I said. I must be missing something, because I said nothing about the old coach. I said the current coach, Adam O'Brien, has had 3 years in the job and made our squad a lot worse in a number of ways. That's what I said. I don't know where you're getting the rest.
I said what does a new coach do with this squad right now.

You said don’t get the squad get worse over the last three years.

Your solution is a new coach doesn’t let the old coach get the squad worse to start with. Actually impossible.

So, if AOB gets the sack tomorrow, how does someone turn that 17 around immediately - because that is what this forum would demand.

perverse

Referee
I said what does a new coach do with this squad right now.

You said don’t get the squad get worse over the last three years.

Your solution is a new coach doesn’t let the old coach get the squad worse to start with. Actually impossible.

So, if AOB gets the sack tomorrow, how does someone turn that 17 around immediately - because that is what this forum would demand.
Look I'm trying to be polite... really trying, but you're twisting my words so violently I can only assume you're doing it on purpose.

O'Brien shouldn't have let the roster get to this point over the past 3 years. It's a simple statement. I don't know what it has to do with the previous coach. 3 years is more than enough time to claim a squad as your own.

Alex28

Coach
Look I'm trying to be polite... really trying, but you're twisting my words so violently I can only assume you're doing it on purpose.

O'Brien shouldn't have let the roster get to this point over the past 3 years. It's a simple statement. I don't know what it has to do with the previous coach. 3 years is more than enough time to claim a squad as your own.
Jesus mate. What does the next coach - after AOB - do with this squad tomorrow if AOB gets the sack?

It’s not a hard question to answer - except if you don’t have any answers.