What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 24 vs Cronulla @ PointsBet Stadium, Woolooware / Dharawal

Who will win? Round 24: Cronulla v Newcastle

• Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 13+

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex28

Coach
AOB needs to go. You need to take some risks to win a Premiership but he looks like he is only trying to make the 8 every year.

Really happy with Sharpe and McCarthy. Definitely did not need Jenkins...

Friz is great but I think he should take either Hetherington's or Brodie's role in the middle. Get KPP on the right, play Lucas on the left and McCarthy as our reserve outside back.

Ponga
Sharpe
Gagai
Best
Marzhew
Pryce
Gamble
Saifiti
Crossland
Frizz
KPP
Lucas
Elliot

Brailey
Croker
Thompson
Cant
Su'a
Jones

We definitely need to sign some better middle forwards.
Cool. Who coaches us then?

Apey

Staff member
Did anyone watch AOB's presser? Read that he said Friz broke his hand? Was Gamble

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
Blake Green was the one credited for last years attack and presumably this years as well
Apologies I meant Green

I do wonder how much of the change in tactics and sudden conservative play is AOB’s direction vs. Green. You can see looking at the improvement in the Roosters attack this year how important a good attacking coach is. Green is still extremely young when it comes to coaching.

The whole organisation seem to be on the same page in regards to developing an identify as an “ugly” and grinding sort of team. You still need to be able to ask questions to the opposition though. Hopefully now that our seasons officially done there’s a significant review of the entire coaching system.

perverse

Referee
Yeah I don’t know why he kept going on about the sin bin. To me it was pretty clear and we were better while Crossland was off the field.

edit - probably trying to deflect attention off the fact that our seasons done and questions are warranted regarding how he’s taken our attack from first to last in one season with his tactics and all of the spine changes. I really wish the journos asked questions about that instead.
lol this is true too.

perverse

Referee
Old AOB missing the point, cynical professional foul. It's like holding down after a line break, irrelevant how many infractions there have been.
I wasn't really thinking about it through the lens of a professional foul. If that's the case fair enough, but then I'd have to know where the line is drawn on flops in the attacking area and it being a professional foul. We're surely not pretending that this doesn't happen all the time.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything just generally curious. Maybe I have to watch the replay. Regardless... it's a purely intellectual argument because yeah, I didn't think that was the moment that cost us the match in any case. Our 10 minutes after half time was fine, or better than fine even. It was very good.

Woosh

Head Moderator
A few disorganised thoughts...

- McCarthy - shaky start but came good. Already a better option than Maps, which is encouraging. Made a lot of great tackles on Ramien.
- Crossland - worst game since the dark years. Truly shithouse.
- What's happened to Leo? 6 runs for 37 metres... throw in 6 missed tackles and 3 ineffective for good measure. Terrible tonight.
- Friz is a hero without a cape.
- Kalyn still struggling to get involved in matches, has a lot to do with those around him, but for 1.4m - you have to be the man.
- Hetherington is a big dumb idiot, and our second worst offender tonight after Phoenix
- We have no halfback.
- Adam Elliott has been great for us lately and was huge tonight. Didn't do as well as a distributer, but took a lot of tough carries and made good contact in D.
- Brodie Jones is not much of a footballer.
- Challenging kicks is a good thing and we should have been doing it since forever.
- Gags was huge but god he'd want that last linebreak he made back again.

The pass to Sharpe wasn’t on.
Mulitalo was ahead of him.
If anything Ponga and the old man was too close to each other.
Have to give credit to Kennedy there

IMG_6492.jpeg

Zoidberg

First Grade
The pass to Sharpe wasn’t on.
Mulitalo was ahead of him.
If anything Ponga and the old man was too close to each other.
Have to give credit to Kennedy there

View attachment 92684
Obviously disappointed with the result of this play but it was quick decision play. Kennedy was always going for the pass.
The play we had time to get right was the pass to Crossland for a field goal attempt.

Reflector

Juniors
I think the sinbin was fair in hindsight but I also find it very hard to believe one of the big clubs would have someone binned for it.
I also thought this as it happened, but then remembered it was this very ground where Scam Smith got marched for the first time ever back in 2018.

Was just glad I watched todays' game on Fox, saved hearing Gus go on about The Bermuda Triangle every 10 minutes...

I do wonder how much of the change in tactics and sudden conservative play is AOB’s direction vs. Green.
AOB is the boss , the Captain of the ship - the buck stops with him. If he's being swayed in style of play and tactics by a rookie assistant all the more reason to move him on I think.