What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Cronulla @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield / Wanngal

Who will win? Round 3: Wests Tigers v Cronulla

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 13+

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Das Hassler

Bench
Im not going to even fight you.....I agree.

One defence of Benji...and it is a very thin defence....it is the best side we can pick for this round minus one selection. Little "Bud" should play NSW Cup as the games I've seen him play this season, he has not only looked not first grade standard....he has truly looked right out of his depth. Im truly not sure if there is any ability in the man but he needs to see if he has in NSW Cup. While others need to be put on notice, he is the only change I would have made from last weeks team.

Our team has next to f**k all punch from the bench with only Fainu capable of providing it. Twal and Seyfarth's roles will be trying to plug the holes in the sinking Titanic and defend through a big workload. Little Bud....Im not quite sure what impact he provides from the bench....useless.

The reason why Im not calling for more changes is the depth in a lot of positions is pretty f**king bare at the moment. May as well give most of those blokes another run.

Can't argue with any of that

Pezz70

Juniors
I expect to see one or two flashy tries and 70 minutes of shit from the Tigers with a final scoreline around sharks 52 tigers 10.

Our night will be dependent on having a fair share of possession and playing mistake free footy. We got smashed early against the Raiders a lot of defence in the first 1/2 hr of the game. Our completion rate was okay last week but we gave away too many penalties. 36 missed tackles is too many

Dom de Dom Dom Dom Dom. Where have you been brother?
We've missed your wisdom.

I agree with Tupou getting the flick, he hasn't really played enough to warrant too much loyalty and he's leaving us next year.
Even with To'a out, I'd stick to Lobb and Staines, guys who want to be here and prove their worth.
Lobb is tall and competes with the high ball and Staines is improving.
Solomon Alaimalo has an injured quad and can't stretch out or jump so it's Staines and Lobb for me.
I've got other interests in the summer months mate, and tend to clock off footy 100%. I didn't even know nofo had been punted.

It's probably not helped by us being so shit. I need the 5 months off to keep my sanity. Plus the roster is almost always completely sorted by the end of the season, or players seem to be added just prior to the start of the next season, instead of the old days when the player market was in overdrive in the off season.

Nutz

Bench
He certainly will after 12 months tho ☹
They sacked the board, got rid of fulton and a couple of players. They also recruited a self promoted Messiah but they couldn't get rid of all the players that put in toxic performances. After all it was the players who let in 70 pts not the board.
The board however held onto a ½ for too long and made embarrassing decisions week after week. It's was a double edged sword.
Our first grade side still has too many KOE cup std players in it.
This roster won't win too many games this year unless every player is at NRL top 8 std...simple.

Tigerm

First Grade

Nutz

Bench
I liked his comeback saying we pick the best side to play against the opposition that week.
It's good that he's got options but we'll run out pretty quickly if we don't start winning.
Bud must be injured and not dropped as he's not playing KOE.
Could he be getting over that niggling injury he had in preseason???
Edit: I should pay attention to detail, he's in the 17 ;)

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I liked his comeback saying we pick the best side to play against the opposition that week.
It's good that he's got options but we'll run out pretty quickly if we don't start winning.
Bud must be injured and not dropped as he's not playing KOE.
Could he be getting over that niggling injury he had in preseason???
I thought Bud was in the 17, has he been replaced?

Vic Mackey

Referee
I gave us some chance last week, basically none this week. The Sharks are a bad matchup for us. We've always struggled with teams that have big wingers. For years combos like Sivo/Fergo, Tupou/BmOz etc destroyed us. Teams that get that big punch in the first couple of tackles end up making 60/70ms a set against us. Ronaldo/Katoa are just about the best in the game at it.

I saw a comment from someone elsewhere that said that every team that lost in round 1 improved in week 2, even if they lost. I looked back and it was completely true. I really hope this is the case with us however I saw so little to be positive from in week 1 it makes it hard.

The changes to the squad are mainly positive. Olam back will certainly help. I was always worried about left D with Galvin and Faataape both there. Faataapes error in our first set resulted in us not touching the ball again for 9 minutes. Naden has stayed in the 19, I have a feeling he come in at right centre if fit.

Sezer staring is obvioulsy positive, he was very good in the trials so hopefully his kicking game is on and can lead us around the park. Saw Sullivan at 9 in a training vid so assuming he'll come on to give Api a rest. Im glad Seyfarth isnt in the side but Ive never liked Pole at 13. We have no punch from the bench without him.

The Sharks have defended very well so far, only conceding 3 tries. They were off against the Dogs but found a way to win. Their pack isnt that great on paper, Nikora is a very big out and Uele is a decent one too. However they play with very good structure in both attack and defense. Ultimately I think they have too much points in them and its a similar scoreline to last week.

Tigerm

First Grade
I gave us some chance last week, basically none this week. The Sharks are a bad matchup for us. We've always struggled with teams that have big wingers. For years combos like Sivo/Fergo, Tupou/BmOz etc destroyed us. Teams that get that big punch in the first couple of tackles end up making 60/70ms a set against us. Ronaldo/Katoa are just about the best in the game at it.

I saw a comment from someone elsewhere that said that every team that lost in round 1 improved in week 2, even if they lost. I looked back and it was completely true. I really hope this is the case with us however I saw so little to be positive from in week 1 it makes it hard.

The changes to the squad are mainly positive. Olam back will certainly help. I was always worried about left D with Galvin and Faataape both there. Faataapes error in our first set resulted in us not touching the ball again for 9 minutes. Naden has stayed in the 19, I have a feeling he come in at right centre if fit.

Sezer staring is obvioulsy positive, he was very good in the trials so hopefully his kicking game is on and can lead us around the park. Saw Sullivan at 9 in a training vid so assuming he'll come on to give Api a rest. Im glad Seyfarth isnt in the side but Ive never liked Pole at 13. We have no punch from the bench without him.

The Sharks have defended very well so far, only conceding 3 tries. They were off against the Dogs but found a way to win. Their pack isnt that great on paper, Nikora is a very big out and Uele is a decent one too. However they play with very good structure in both attack and defense. Ultimately I think they have too much points in them and its a similar scoreline to last week.
I live in hope every game @Vic Mackey hahaha

Tiger Ted

Bench

Faatappe - 3
Naden - 22
Still listed?
1 hr b4 kickoff expecting no. 22 to come in for no. 3
If we can hold the ball & get decent field position we have the spine to create enough opportunities to b competitive.However im scarred after a decade of mediocrity & expect more of the same re paper thin defence & surrendering when the going gets tough.Our forward pack need to stand up & earn their very generous salaries.They have been woeful for way too long & its long overdue the soft sluggish bludgers displayed grit.

Nutz

Bench
I’m confident we can win this.
Me too. Lachlan played good in his debut and having experienced Salad playing half he might have a blinder.
Cronulla are going to test us out wide so it will be interesting if Olam can make a difference to our D and attack.

We need to start the game like we want to win. Last weeks 'effort' by the forwards in the first 20 mins cost us any chance. There's no excuse for being soft up the middle early in the game like that.

I'm keen to see commitment and energy there, and what the backs can do with it. Olam has a big point to prove to Melbourne and himself so I'm looking forward to seeing what he produces.

But we need a sustained commitment from the forwards. Cronulla look like they've worked very hard on their defence in the off season.