What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 4: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
How good is the early ball both Gags and Best are getting. It's so simple, just get it to them instead of always giving a short ball to Fitz or Frizz. Best looks fitter and more motivated than I've ever seen him and Gags looks more mobile and fitter than he did two seasons ago.

Ponga is definitely our most talented player but Gamble is slowly becoming my favorite Knight...

Knight Tales

Juniors
How good is the early ball both Gags and Best are getting. It's so simple, just get it to them instead of always giving a short ball to Fitz or Frizz. Best looks fitter and more motivated than I've ever seen him and Gags looks more mobile and fitter than he did two seasons ago.

Ponga is definitely our most talented player but Gamble is slowly becoming my favorite Knight...
I do not see how O’Brien can possibly break up the halves right now. They compliment each other perfectly. He can’t drop Lachy. I have no idea where KP fits until our form drops off. I would be leaving him to recover as long as we are winning and the side is fit.

Best we've looked in attack in some time. Halves were in control which is amazing to see.

I really don't want Ponga back in at 6 stinking everything up. In fact, I don't know what to do with Ponga. I enjoy watching the team more without him tbh.

Reflector

Juniors
Ponga really should've followed up with Wayne on that Dolphins offer. He either would've become the player his potential has suggested and earned top coin with no grumbling about him being 'overpaid'

OR

He gets too many HIA's and is medically retired as a hero cut short, free to drink all the strawberry milkshakes he likes while posting on Insta all day...

macavity

Referee
Best we've looked in attack in some time. Halves were in control which is amazing to see.

I really don't want Ponga back in at 6 stinking everything up. In fact, I don't know what to do with Ponga. I enjoy watching the team more without him tbh.

1. Miller
6. Ponga
7. Hastings
9. Brailey
13. Gamble
14. Mann

Is where we need to be.

I think we have forgotten how bloody good Ponga is.

If we can adapt this style (him not being the only focus) and have him chime in selectively, we can do some major damage.

If we go back to under 8s wait for Ponga to do something in attack, we go backwards.

ryan.a87

Juniors
1. Miller
6. Ponga
7. Hastings
9. Brailey
13. Gamble
14. Mann

Is where we need to be.

If we can adapt this style (him not being the only focus) and have him chime in selectively, we can do some major damage.

If we go back to under 8s wait for Ponga to do something in attack, we go backwards.
Guessing you’d have Elliott play 2nd row?, fitz to bench

macavity

Referee
Guessing you’d have Elliott play 2nd row?, fitz to bench

I would leave Friz and Fitz in the second row.

Bench of:
Mann
Leo
Crokes
Heatherington

Elliott needs to earn his spot (knowing we will never have everyone fit and not suspended).

1. Miller
6. Ponga
7. Hastings
9. Brailey
13. Gamble
14. Mann

Is where we need to be.

That's what I'd go for. Crossland out.

Burwood

Bench
Our entire backline averaged over 200m. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that from a knights team, even in the days of Aku, Boyd, Gagai, BJ and McManus.

So is this the new plan, or did they just have a good week where everything went their way?

I think the biggest factor is that we were able to play a lot of the game in the middle of the field and not getting pinned down on our tryline spending 3-4 tackles trying to work the ball out.

Yosh

Coach
Looks like we are finally playing 2023 style football instead of football from a decade ago.

Jono078

Referee
Our entire backline averaged over 200m. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that from a knights team, even in the days of Aku, Boyd, Gagai, BJ and McManus.

So is this the new plan, or did they just have a good week where everything went their way?

I think the biggest factor is that we were able to play a lot of the game in the middle of the field and not getting pinned down on our tryline spending 3-4 tackles trying to work the ball out.
I reckon based on potentially being underdone in the forwards that AOB challenged the backs to really get involved, and it worked. Huge effort by all 5 of them in the end.

Really begs the question whether Dom comes back into the side or not

I know Hunt made a couple of errors but his yardage in early sets was very good and its a tough call to change a winning side

Jono078

Referee
Really begs the question whether Dom comes back into the side or not

I know Hunt made a couple of errors but his yardage in early sets was very good and its a tough call to change a winning side
Agreed. He finished the game relatively strong.

There's obviously more upside with Dom and I think teams would fear a Dom/Marzhew combo much more, but I don't think this is the week to do that.

Apey

Staff member

Yeah we were actually passing them the ball in attacking positions too, it was wild.

Burwood

Bench
Yeah we were actually passing them the ball in attacking positions too, it was wild.

On top of that, Miller and his kick returns are a breath of fresh air- he either rushes back at the defence and earns a quick play the ball to get the set rolling, or scoots across field to link up with his outside backs and try to put them into a gap.

Despite all his early potential, Ponga was far too conservative when it came to kick returns.

mozza91

Coach
Just watching the replay from Channel 9 and saw Miller’s wife. Well played on all fronts Lachie!