What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 7 vs Penrith @ Carrington Park, Bathurst / Wiradjuri

Who will win? Round 7: Penrith v Wests Tigers

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Penrith Panthers 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wizardman

First Grade
I admit I thought that too. Penrith will likely be too good but with the team we have there’s no excuses not to give it a red hot crack.
Full respect to the way the Drags are playing.....they clearly are a better side than last year. Despite that, we did play pretty bad against them.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Pretty good first half there. Really went toe to toe with the panthers and only that mistake from Tupou is the difference between the teams. If we can keep it up for 80 minutes there is every chance we can steal this

Nutz

Bench
Pretty good first half there. Really went toe to toe with the panthers and only that mistake from Tupou is the difference between the teams. If we can keep it up for 80 minutes there is every chance we can steal this
Bloody oath mate, we can do this.
I think if we can keep up in their face and minimise errors we will rattle em.
The boys have certainly turned up to play which begs the question as to why we are such a Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde side.
We are actually playing like a top 8 side but last game we were wooden spoon like.
What's your take on that PT? Why the inconsistency?

Pezz70

Juniors
I disagree, lucky not to be further behind (to the tigers credit), we’re a bit loose in the centre and Panthers were constantly getting rolling sets toward the end of the first half.

The back three need to work with a bit more commitment. Tupou runs pretty strong but the other two need to put in a bit. Bula would be a far better player if he committed himself, always seems to be going half pace when the pressure is on (ie when he should be going his hardest), he might be down a bit on confidence

We’re starting to put some good shapes together in attack, execution is not quite there (Charlie Staines really should’ve scored)but that’s promising, it’s a lot different to the shit we’ve dished up the past couple of years.

We tend to go wide too early, really need those first couple of hits ups to bend the line and get the quick play the balls happening then throw those attacking shapes at them.

There’s some good signs for sure, boys need to stay in the games, not worry too much about the results at this stage (no matter how much the fans hate losing) work on the execution and making that first contact in defence count, we probably slipped off 10-15 tackles after initial contact in the first half and that gets our defense on the back foot.

Last edited:
Great first half from the lads. Plenty of agro and muscle in defence in the middle.

The difference in the teams is the speed of the play the ball. Penrith are way quicker than us. The ref is calling us to get up as soon as the tackle is complete but not doing the same when Penrith are defending. I hope Api or Sezer has had a word to the ref as they were walking off.

If we can keep this effort up we might be able to grab a win here. There's room on edges to exploit if we're good enough.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Bloody oath mate, we can do this.
I think if we can keep up in their face and minimise errors we will rattle em.
The boys have certainly turned up to play which begs the question as to why we are such a Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde side.
We are actually playing like a top 8 side but last game we were wooden spoon like.
What's your take on that PT? Why the inconsistency?
It is what the club has been known for our whole existence. We have always had way too many poor footy IQ players but I hope that is changing. API and Sezer have way more footy smarts than anyone we have had for the last ten years. Hopefully they teach the kids coming through

Pezz70

Juniors
Stupid mistakes 4 of them killed us. Really had enough of Staines and Bula need a stint in reserves. Bula refuses to play tough in attack

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
Last pass killed us this game. We had enough chances but panthers have the best defence for the last 3 years so they are hard to break down.

But if we can make this effort our base line standard we will win more than we lose

Pezz70

Juniors
Sezer has had a pretty poor game today. I’d still rather him than Brooksy though

Last edited:
There’s some good signs for sure, boys need to stay in the games, not worry too much about the results at this stage (no matter how much the fans hate losing) work on the execution and making that first contact in defence count, we probably slipped off 10-15 tackles after initial contact in the first half and that gets our defense on the back foot.
100%
Where the team is v the Panthers experience, they went okay for me. Happy if that commitment was there each week.
Samuela the highlight for me.

I'm ok with that result. At least we put in a hard, decent effort right from the start.

Bateman was great in an unfamiliar role. He created more opportunities than the rest of the team combined.

Staines had an afternoon to forget and I'd be surprised if he wasn't shaking hands with the reserve grade coach this week. We need to give our reserve grade wingers a crack.

Our execution, especially in the red zone, is very poor. We don't show any type of shape that even resembles first grade. Too many hit ups when we should be spinning it wide. We may as well put on any plays from 40 metres out or further as that's when we look most dangerous.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if came last for points scored.

Nutz

Bench
Last pass killed us this game. We had enough chances but panthers have the best defence for the last 3 years so they are hard to break down.

But if we can make this effort our base line standard we will win more than we lose
I thought we could have used the tryline bomb and ingoal grubber more today.
You cant keep attacking the same shapes in the red zone, especially against Penrith.
We mixed it up last time and beat them....why change?
I'm hoping to see one of the two tall wingers replace injured Tupou for those bombs I just mentioned.
The left wing is Solomon Alaimalo's but I fear he's been carrying a knee injury since rd1.
Though he did score a good try today in reserve grade.

Tigerm

First Grade
I’ll be waiting for the NRL to tell everyone tomorrow that the Olam ankle app, was actually illegal and we should have been awarded a penalty try and the pennies player should have been sent to the sin bin.

Black Panther

Juniors
I’ll be waiting for the NRL to tell everyone tomorrow that the Olam ankle app, was actually illegal and we should have been awarded a penalty try and the pennies player should have been sent to the sin bin.
Hold a grudge much. Every game has calls that go against, Tigers aren’t up to good opponents who can tackle. Better luck in next years GF.

Pezz70

Juniors
I'm ok with that result. At least we put in a hard, decent effort right from the start.

Bateman was great in an unfamiliar role. He created more opportunities than the rest of the team combined.

Staines had an afternoon to forget and I'd be surprised if he wasn't shaking hands with the reserve grade coach this week. We need to give our reserve grade wingers a crack.

Our execution, especially in the red zone, is very poor. We don't show any type of shape that even resembles first grade. Too many hit ups when we should be spinning it wide. We may as well put on any plays from 40 metres out or further as that's when we look most dangerous.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if came last for points scored.
I couldn’t disagree more with your comments about shape, we had some lovely depth to the backline today and some really promising movement, players in motion. I do agree with your comments about execution. Staines should’ve scored of the pass from Naden, Staines was caught out there. We get the timing of the passes and line of runners right we score plenty of tries.

The plays today were some of the most interesting shapes I’ve seen from the tigers in years.

I’ll also agree with the comment about too many up the gut plays in the red zone at times. I think when the pressures on, especially when we’re behind on the score board we go away from our game plan and get a bit hectic. We need to stick with the plan.

I’ll make a bold prediction and say if we keep anything close to our best team on the park for the large majority of the rest of the season we will get into double figures in the win column

Last edited: