What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo anyone???

broncos2010

Juniors
Thought you guys would be all over this with him coming off contract end of the year.

I would imagine he would be very interested coming back to his true home and finishing off some business especially now with a new coach and new hope.

The question is but can the eels afford him with hoppa coming next season alreayd?

Snoochies

First Grade
I see Hayne on Twitter campaigning him to come back to Parra. Probably also a good indication of Hayne staying on too.

Avenger

Immortal
I would take back Mateo only at the right price. With young players like Paulo and Pauli Pauli you have to ask if we really need him or are we trying to get him back simply based on sentiments.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Asking to much I dare say - for the right price he would definitely be a good pick up. Paulo can play the ball playing forward for a quarter of the price.

Also it appears the eels may be at the beginning of having some real good junior back rowers making a mark in the side - signing mateo could stop the path of these forwards along with the potential of making it harder to resign them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would take back Mateo only at the right price. With young players like Paulo and Pauli Pauli you have to ask if we really need him or are we trying to get him back simply based on sentiments.

Paulo and Pauli Pauli sounds like an R&B group from the 90s.

natheel

Coach
Pretty sure if Ricky was to ask him to take a small cut to come back he probably would do it. So money imo isn't a problem for us its just whether Ricky wants to bring him back. Would be a great pick up as our backrow stocks are thin in terms of experience.

Have Mateo start and Paulo rotating with him and we would have a good combo going there.

It's not hard to see he wants to come back he has said he would like to return and we wouldn't have to compete too hard for him as we now have Stuart who i'd say he would rather play under than Cleary (even though its his ex coach)

Plus the campaigning of Hayne is a good indication that Hayne is keen to stay so maybe getting ateo would be a trump card in keeping Hayne??

spiderdan

Bench
depends how much cap space he'd be taking up but i reckon he'd be a great fit back in home colours as an impact player off the bench. was disappointed we let him go in the first place. hopefully those that make decisions are talking about him returning as a possibility.

The Engineers Room

First Grade

So we don't sign a damaging ball playing backrower for a player with one good season and an untested junior that struggles to make an impact in the NYC?

I like Paulo but I would want to see what happens this year. We have better prospects in the NYC side than Pauli Pauli.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Thought you guys would be all over this with him coming off contract end of the year.

I would imagine he would be very interested coming back to his true home and finishing off some business especially now with a new coach and new hope.

The question is but can the eels afford him with hoppa coming next season alreayd?

Good point. We can't get Mateo since we've already signed 1 player for 2014.

Oh well. Looking forward to getting a new in 2015 - wonder who it will be?

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I'd like to have him back, but like people have said there are a few things to consider.

-His price. If we got him at a good good one, that's great. But who knows who else we may be going after for 2014 (Farah?) But, it's not like we have had much luck in nabbing many of our targets lately and it seems as though Feleti would come back.

-We have a few young guns coming through and we wouldn't want to lose them.

-Paulo. He is a similar player and is cheaper.

-Age. He will turn 29 in 2014.

But i like the idea of him coming back :)

I'd like to have him back, but like people have said there are a few things to consider.

-His price. If we got him at a good good one, that's great. But who knows who else we may be going after for 2014 (Farah?) But, it's not like we have had much luck in nabbing many of our targets lately and it seems as though Feleti would come back.

-We have a few young guns coming through and we wouldn't want to lose them.

-Paulo. He is a similar player and is cheaper.

-Age. He will turn 29 in 2014.

But i like the idea of him coming back :)

I can't see why people are comparing Mateo and Paulo. I personally don't think their "styles" are anything alike.

Mateo is an "In/through the line" player. He's a runner, who can break/half break the line and pop an offload (65 in 2012).

Paulo is a "before the line" player. A ball player more than a ball runner. If I was going to compare Paulo to anyone, I'd be more thinking of Glenn Stewart (without the shifty eyes). Yes Paulo can throw an offload, but even Hindy had more in 2012.

Latest posts