What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo in secret talks with the Dogs.

bradeel

Juniors
If DA had a problem with Polys then he would be a racist.

I'm not trying to be politically correct but this whole DA doesn't get on with Polynesian thing seems to me to be the biggest beat-up since Lee Oudenryn was going to be Parra's best winger since Eric Grothe because he could outsprint Martin Offiah.

IFR33K

Coach
Fui has never looked fitter. Or played better. The only problem was his end of season trip and getting back on time.

Hayne is playing out of his skin, and Joe G has had a great season and would happily stay at Parra if he can't get more $ at Manly.

So I don't think there's anything about DA and polynesian players to worry about. Those on the outer have included Cordoba and Oake...

Inu has obviously been having some personal motivation problems most of the year.

Feleti has had injuries this season, and DA has been onto him about his weight. Trying to bring out the best in him. Maybe he sees himself as a #6, but sizewise DA sees him only as a skilled #13 (who could potentially be the best 13 in the comp)?

It's up to Mateo if he responds positively, or if he decides to look elsewhere.

Wasn't it only a couple of weeks ago, that Mateo and DA were joking about his weight and had a friendly bet. What could of gone sour since then? Maybe Mateo wants to be rushed into the side, and DA has told him otherwise.

In regard to Inu, I don't know if this is true, but a friend of his told me he has had problems with his girlfriend and it has been a distraction.... all seems to be sorted out though.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Mateo wants out and Guluvao is ready to take a 50% pay cut to stay at parra. Mateo is a terrific talent and it would be great if he could play out his career at parra but Danial Anderson is doing a terrific job at turning this place around and changing the attitude from ground up. If Mateo, or any other player, cannot accept that and does not want to be apart of it then they arent the player for us and id let them walk.

IFR33K

Coach
Mateo wants out and Guluvao is ready to take a 50% pay cut to stay at parra. Mateo is a terrific talent and it would be great if he could play out his career at parra but Danial Anderson is doing a terrific job at turning this place around and changing the attitude from ground up. If Mateo, or any other player, cannot accept that and does not want to be apart of it then they arent the player for us and id let them walk.

I have no problem in letting him go, if the problems cant be sorted.

BUT, there is no way, that the Eels, should pay for part of his contract for next year.

Could you imagine gaining a marquee player, and part of his contract being paid by his previous employer. LOL

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Fui has never looked fitter. Or played better. The only problem was his end of season trip and getting back on time.

Hayne is playing out of his skin, and Joe G has had a great season and would happily stay at Parra if he can't get more $ at Manly.

So I don't think there's anything about DA and polynesian players to worry about. Those on the outer have included Cordoba and Oake...

Inu has obviously been having some personal motivation problems most of the year.

Feleti has had injuries this season, and DA has been onto him about his weight. Trying to bring out the best in him. Maybe he sees himself as a #6, but sizewise DA sees him only as a skilled #13 (who could potentially be the best 13 in the comp)?

It's up to Mateo if he responds positively, or if he decides to look elsewhere.
Agree 100%, DA has turned around most of this squad, if Mateo has a problem with DA i'm thinking it could Mateo who has the problem.

grapeape

Juniors
it seems you all believe this story is true, with many of you now starting to bag-off mateo.

so what happen was ...

he bumps into a bulldogs board member at the pub, the board member mucks around saying doggies want him, and they should have a coffee.

these kind of things happen all the time. the nrl community is small.
the person who told the story to the bums at the daily terror should be shot.

and as for all you tools and fools for believing it and bagging off mateo

Craig Johnston

First Grade
the dymock links will always mean feleti is somehow linked to the dogs, if both ceo's know nothing about it, that's good enough for me.

feleti loves the club, and has said he wants to play out his career.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it seems you all believe this story is true, with many of you now starting to bag-off mateo.

so what happen was ...

he bumps into a bulldogs board member at the pub, the board member mucks around saying doggies want him, and they should have a coffee.

these kind of things happen all the time. the nrl community is small.
the person who told the story to the bums at the daily terror should be shot.

and as for all you tools and fools for believing it and bagging off mateo

first of all, next time there's a story in the paper about our club should we seek further clarification from you to see whether it's true or not..

secondly, most if not all critisism is only based on the report itself and many believe that if he's not happy than maybe he should go, the same would be said about any player at our club..

thirdly, can you tell us with great cofidence that the smoke in this story is nothing more than a puff??

Gaffman

Juniors
Bulldogs' secret bid to snatch Parramatta star Feleti Mateo
By James Hooper
August 02, 2009
Parramatta star Feleti Mateo has held secret talks with Bulldogs powerbrokers about walking away from the Eels with one year remaining on his contract.

In a move that has ignited a war of words between two of the NRL's fiercest rivals, new Eels chief executive Paul Osborne has accused the Bulldogs of trying to poach Parramatta's best talent.

The Sunday Telegraph newspaper learned the Bulldogs have made discreet inquiries about Mateo, centre Krisnan Inu and halfback Kris Keating, who are all under contract until October next year.

It's understood Mateo, who is expected to return from a bicep injury in round 23, has met Bulldogs officials on three occasions in the past three months.

"The Bulldogs seem to be having a little bit of trouble in obviously developing their own juniors so they're eyeing off some of ours," Osborne said.

"I've heard they were interested in Inu, I know they'd like Daniel Mortimer and I've heard the Feleti Mateo rumour.

"Maybe they should spend a bit more time looking at their own kids."

Out since round 11, Mateo played under Bulldogs assistant coach Jim Dymock for Tonga during last year's World Cup.

The Sunday Telegraph newspaper also understands Mateo and coach Daniel Anderson do not see eye to eye, with the ball-playing lock interested in looking at a release.

But the sticking point is Mateo's $275,000 contract. The Bulldogs would only be prepared to pay up to $225,000 for Mateo, meaning the Eels would have to come up with the additional $50,000.

Told the Bulldogs would want Parramatta to pay part of Mateo's contract if he was released, Osborne said: "What a great idea. We pay the Bulldogs to take Feleti."

Bulldogs chief executive Greenberg said he was unaware of any meetings between Mateo and any Bulldogs officials, and stressed the Bulldogs were more interested in Inu.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25870554-5018866,00.html

Gotta love uncle Paul :)

Fathead

Bench
Any talk about Mateo not liking andos tough coaching approach - you can only wonder what type of player Mateo would be if he became tough and trained the house down.
He could be anything.
At the moment he relies on natural, god given talent just like Hayne did when he came into grade. Natural god given talent can only take you so far. Hayne has entered the stratosphere now that he is really playing for the team and is very fit and footy hardened.
My personal opinion is that Mateo is freakishly talented but soft and unfit and thats the very reason Brian Smith didnt play him.
If mateo wants to take what he sees as the easy option and ply his trade under a coach that will go easy on him, or not shout at him when he does play soft, then he can go.
Kris Inu has now realised that to be a success in the NRL you have to be battle hardened.
We wont win premierships with whimps who cry when the coach shouts at them.
Im all for Ando.

Since when did Mateo not respond to a "tough coach", its a joke that people can assume something when they have no idea at all.

Mateo won't leave unless we won't him to leave.

Fathead

Bench
Since when did Mateo not respond to a "tough coach", its a joke that people can assume something when they have no idea at all.

Mateo won't leave unless we won't him to leave.

No I meant to say .. If the report that he doesnt see eye to eye with Ando.

Its a known fact that he didnt get on with brian Smith who is a lot like Ando in discipline. Mateo is a typical tongan player. Very very naturally talented but would rather ad lib than grind it out.

Suitman

Post Whore
- you can only wonder what type of player Mateo would be if he became tough and trained the house down.

This is the sort of talk on this website that absolutely bewilders me.

Can you, hand on heart Fathead, completely convince me that Mateo is not like that already? Or do you just believe what you read in the papers, and then form an opinion?

Suity

Fathead

Bench
This is the sort of talk on this website that absolutely bewilders me.

Can you, hand on heart Fathead, completely convince me that Mateo is not like that already? Or do you just believe what you read in the papers, and then form an opinion?

Suity

Hang on Suity, let me put my red wine down and find my heart.... yes
Very talented - yes
Could he be fitter and be the best player in the world - you betcha.
Is he committed - Yes of course
Is he ultra committed like hayne is now - IMHO ... No

Is this just from reading the paper - No

When he was playing he used to fade in and out of games. To me that shows a lack of fitness, either mental or physical.
Having Hindy as the yardstick of someone who is ultra fit and never fades out.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Very talented - yes

I've put my red down too - to reply. :lol:

I don't disagree with some of your claims, but the couple of claims of yours that I quoted - you don't know those for sure - it's just your opinion. You should state that, instead of sounding it as fact.

That's all.

Suity

*picks up red wine again* :)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Very talented - yes

Is this just from reading the paper - No

When he was playing he used to fade in and out of games. To me that shows a lack of fitness, either mental or physical.
Having Hindy as the yardstick of someone who is ultra fit and never fades out.

what i really want to know is are you drinking Shiraz or Merlot???