What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Prior (Spoiler)

How many weeks will Prior get?

• 5 weeks

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • 7 weeks

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 8 weeks

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • 9 weeks

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 10 weeks

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • 11 weeks

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 12 weeks

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 12+ weeks

Votes: 19 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Serious, worse than a 5?

Pretty damn bad, but where does that leave a bloke whos only role is to take an opposition player out?

Do not think that was the case.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Would love to know how these numbskulls decide a grade 5 for Prior was not enough, while a grade 5 for Stewart on Anasta was reasonable. No doubt the fact that we aren't near the finals has played a role, as has the fact that Prior is not a chance of playing origin (you can bet your bottom dollar that if Thaiday or Watmough had put on this hit they'd be getting 2-3 weeks max)

The ARLC needs to overhaul the judiciary system IMO. They have shown to be incredibly inconsistent over the years.

Just becuase they got the Anasta one wrong and they did, does not mean they should get this one. Glad the match review has shown some balls and called it correctly, it was an absolute dog act by a player PURELY to take their best player out, as simple as that.

firechild

First Grade
Serious, worse than a 5?

Pretty damn bad, but where does that leave a bloke whos only role is to take an opposition player out?

Do not think that was the case.

The thing is "worse than a grade 5" doesn't mean that all direct referals of elbows to the face are looked at as being the same. For example, they could give him 8 weeks (according to Sterlo grade 5 would have seen him get 5 weeks with an early plea) while Hopoate got 17 weeks in 2006 for a similar act. So, the bloke that goes out specifically to cause injury toan opposition player is going to get something closer to the 17 week mark than the 8.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Mr Angry raises a good point, though .. because Prior serves a dual role for us:

1) He fails to take out the opposition's best player and gets sent off in the process
2) He tries to lose us matches in normal play by dropping balls cold at least twice a game

Opposition fans should really be arguing against any suspension!

Mr Saab

Referee
The thing is "worse than a grade 5" doesn't mean that all direct referals of elbows to the face are looked at as being the same. For example, they could give him 8 weeks (according to Sterlo grade 5 would have seen him get 5 weeks with an early plea) while Hopoate got 17 weeks in 2006 for a similar act. So, the bloke that goes out specifically to cause injury toan opposition player is going to get something closer to the 17 week mark than the 8.

Hoppa only got 17 weeks in 2005 cause of an insane amount of prior offences....similar or not.
Prior deserves 9 weeks

lockyno1

Post Whore
But did he run on the field with that intention, I say no.

Does it make a difference, doubt it.

In my view yes, 1 minute earlier he was starting fights, he just wanted to take someone out and he did in INTENTIONALLY.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I doubt it. It was reckless.

It is so hard to prove intent.

Depends what you call reckless, I call reckless slightly above careless. This is on another level, it was an absolute shocker. An elbow to the head is NOT reckless, a forearm might be, an arm might be, but not an elbow

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
f**k I hope this means De Belin gets more minutes now.

He's been a real thorn in my Super Coach teams side.

More minutes for De Belin = happy Ronnie.

With his time off, I'd like to see Prior draw up a hit list of Queenslanders to take out when he gets back.

I'd like to see him get inventive with it and ironically take out Queenslanders using their own styles.

For example -

- He slides in with the feet on Billy Slater, decapitating him.
- Puts on 200 kilos of gut and King hits Thaiday as fifth man in to a scuffle, or even from the crowd if he's not playing in the game that night.
- Drops a Cleveland Steamer on Nate Myles chest.
- Has a piss in the Suncorp Stadium seats.
- Puts the Million Dollar Dream on Cameron Smith.
- Gets into a fight with Justin Hodges using Ben Creagh as a human shield

Plenty of time to think about it Matty, so get inventive, have fun and we'll see you in 8 weeks.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Thurston took no further part in the match (apparently in order to play out his "milk" as genuine according to some Dragons fans).
True. I meant in the sense of lasting injury.

Hoppa sent Galloway to hospital. Newton shattered Sims' jaw.

Prior sent Thurston jogging off the field sharing jokes with the trainer and his team-mates.

Mr Saab

Referee
Tackles can go wrong...just look at Ben Teo on Groat. I would be very suprised if any player today would go out and do something intentional

firechild

First Grade
Hoppa only got 17 weeks in 2005 cause of an insane amount of prior offences....similar or not.
Prior deserves 9 weeks

I'm not for a moment suggesting Prior get 17 weeks. Hopoate's hit was similar in that it was leading with an elbow to the head but he also jumped at Galloway making matters worse. Hopoate would have still been looking at 12-14 weeks regardless of his priors. What I'm saying is that just because 2 offences are referred straight to the judiciary does not imply they are equal (even if they are similar in the type of offense, i.e. elbow to the head). I think 8-10 weeks is fair for Prior.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So SoO starts, Matt Scott runs the ball, Watmough does a round house kick to the head. Scott is floored and put in a coma.

Grade 87?

The Rosco

Bench
I wonder who the Dragons will be getting to legally represent Matt Prior as they haven't needed to go in front of the NRL 'judiciary' for some time.

To call the NRL judiciary a hybrid ad hoc tribunal is giving it too much credit. I still can't figure out if it adheres to common or civil law principles.

Good luck to his representation. They'll need to dumb down their defence and speak very slowly so the judiciary can follow their line of argument. Poor guys.

And what would "their line of argument" be ?
That Prior was teased by the opposition 10 mins earlier when he took a ball in touch ?
That if players want to tease another player, then they should expect to get elbowed in the head . . just to teach them ?

Those few moronic saints fans who can't see this for what it honestly is . . . well they must be the ones who give the good fans such a bad name.

He raised his forearm before impact. There was intent, and a near perfect delivery of the forearm to the jaw. All because he had the childish shits when he got razzed for going into touch.
Hope he gets at least 7 weeks.

Didgi

It would only be legal if it was Paul Gallen, as everyone knows Paul Gallen is in fact Chuck Norris.