What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Prior (Spoiler)

How many weeks will Prior get?

• 5 weeks

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • 7 weeks

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 8 weeks

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • 9 weeks

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 10 weeks

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • 11 weeks

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 12 weeks

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 12+ weeks

Votes: 19 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lockyno1

Post Whore
Tackles can go wrong...just look at Ben Teo on Groat. I would be very suprised if any player today would go out and do something intentional

Teo deserved a stint, but Groat had the ball! Thurston had disposed of the ball and Prior basically comes in and elbows him in the head. If he wasn't wearing headgear Thurston would be out for the season! That is intentional in anyone's book.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Teo deserved a stint, but Groat had the ball! Thurston had disposed of the ball and Prior basically comes in and elbows him in the head. If he wasn't wearing headgear Thurston would be out for the season! That is intentional in anyone's book.

Are you intentionally stupid?

Can that. You're a banjo twanger. Say no more.

Head gear stops cuts. It doesn't stop broken jaws or cheek bones.

Prior hit him intentionally in my book. He'll get suspended.

Get over it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I trust Thurston, and the head gear provides a mechanism to stop some of the impact, It was intentional and I am glad he is facing a long stint

RedVDave

First Grade
It would only be legal if it was Paul Gallen, as everyone knows Paul Gallen is in fact Chuck Norris.

No if it was Paul Gallen, Thurston would be suspended for the rest of the season for deliberately headbutting Gallen's elbow.

Danish

Referee
It was a reckless and stupid challenge deserving of a send off and lengthy suspension, but he did not run up to Thurston intending to elbow him in the head. If Prior HAD premeditated it, Thurston's jaw would be in 3-4 pieces right now.

There are 2 kinds of elbows. The one where a lazy/reckless idiot goes charging in to barge someone over but raised their forearm to high and collects a bloke in the face. Then there is the one where a bloke comes in with a raised elbow that he has intentionally braced and aimed for the hit. The first doesnt do too much damage while the second will put your teeth through your skull.

Its the reason why Ross, Prior and Stewart's elbows resulted in minor injuries to their opponent while the likes of Hoppa, Newton and going back further Boyd et all put their victims in hospital

Danish

Referee
No if it was Paul Gallen, Thurston would be suspended for the rest of the season for deliberately headbutting Gallen's elbow.

Thurston doesn't get suspended.

Sure he calls refs merkins 47 times at the scrum and kicks people in the face..... but he pats ball boys on the head thus is a great guy

Snappy

Coach
Head gear stops cuts. It doesn't stop broken jaws or cheek bones.

You heard it here first everyone, Ronnie knows more about the benifits of head gear than Thurston. :roll:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...matt-prior-elbow/story-fn2mcuj6-1226347854944

Queensland star player Johnathan Thurston believes headgear saved him from a broken cheekbone or jaw injury that almost certainly would have ended his Origin I campaign.

Thurston was on Saturday feeling remarkably well after recovering from the ugliest attempted shoulder charge of the NRL season when St George Illawarra forward Matt Prior hit the North Queensland five-eighth with a raised elbow.
Matt Prior

406389-matt-prior.jpg

Sent off ... Prior's crude hit on Thurston.
Source: FOX SPORTS

While Thurston acknowledged Prior's sincere attempt to apologise after the Cowboys' 30-6 win, he didn't accept the explanation of a shoulder charge gone wrong.
"A shoulder charge with the elbow, I don't think so," Thurston said.
"It's just a tackle that has gone completely wrong and I think the judiciary will look after it.
"He's hit me with his elbow. There's no denying where he got me in the head.

"I think the send-off was legit. I don't think he's the type of player to have that kind of malice in his game."
Thurston said he had suffered headaches and blurred vision in the immediate aftermath to the tackle and, even though an entire state collectively held its breath while he lay motionless on the turf, Thurston knew his injury was not serious.
He will have a reduced workload at training this week and is expected to be cleared to play Newcastle on Saturday.

"Where he got me, if I wasn't wearing the headgear, I think I could have had a broken cheekbone or a broken jaw or something like that so I'm very glad I wear the headgear," he said.
"When I came to, the trainers and boys were over the top of me.
"What I could remember is that I could move my jaw, my neck, and I had feeling in my hands and feet so I knew there wasn't anything really serious.
"Obviously, I had a sore head at the time and a bit of blurred vision but, apart from that, I feel completely fine now."
Even though Thurston escaped injury, the punishment handed out to Prior is expected to be severe.
The match review panel will meet tomorrow and, given the type of contact, a high-level striking charge could be handed down.
One thing is certain. Thurston's Cowboys teammates are already counting down the days until their re-match with the Dragons in round 24, given they had no opportunity to hand out their own payback on Prior.
"I wish he came back on to the field," hard-hitting forward Tariq Sims said.
"I wish he didn't get sent off."
The Cowboys have their own judiciary concerns, with coach Neil Henry hopeful hooker James Segeyaro escapes a high-tackle report which left Dragons skipper Ben Hornby dazed.
"There's no doubt if you make contact with the head with any part of your body, you're going to come under scrutiny," Henry said.
"I thought the initial contact was chest and went up, but it knocked him and it will be up to the match review committee to have a look at it."

cleary89

Coach
Course he says that. The headgear sponsor him. As if hes going to come out and say its useless and doesnt work.

In my view yes, 1 minute earlier he was starting fights, he just wanted to take someone out and he did in INTENTIONALLY.

Starting fights, what game were you watching? :lol: Prior wanted nothing to do with the Cowboys forwards, particularly Tamou, then took it out on JT.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
You heard it here first everyone, Ronnie knows more about the benifits of head gear than Thurston. :roll:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...matt-prior-elbow/story-fn2mcuj6-1226347854944

So....Dr J.T clearly states....

"Where he got me, if I wasn't wearing the headgear, I think I could have had a broken cheekbone or a broken jaw or something like that so I'm very glad I wear the headgear," he said.

The pics I got of headgear don't really cover the cheekbone ??
Perhaps Princess Warrior would care to differ.

We all know Prior's gone but that doesnt excuse Thurston for a poor attempt at being human....cunova man and a diver :D

Attachments

• scumhuman.jpg
    scumhuman.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1

Red Bear

Referee
But none of this has any real relevance with what occurred on Friday.

I don't think your posts achieved anything more than trying to take another pot-shot at the Broncos.
Well it got brought up earlier in the thread.

And that the attitude here (it was dangerous, which obviously it was, could cause serious damage, which thankfully for Thurston it didnt) somehow doesnt apply for a similar sort of incident (in that it was heavy contact to the head, but a shoulder rather than an elbow) seems, well, wrong to me anyway.

lol, Brisbane had nothing to do with it, Te'o just happens to be th emost recent example. Same attitude towards Pritchards incidents (especially the one he put on last year which somehow escaped suspension because of a low grading), Dwyer on JWH in the semi in 2010, hell right back to Karmicahel Hunt and his hit on Anasta on 2008 or so where he broke his nose with his shoulder whilst not looking at where he was going to impact yet escaped suspension.

I might not like Brisbane but my thoughts on the shoulder charge have nothing to do with them as a club.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Tackling isnt illegal either, but when it results in contact with the head it is a penalty, sometimes a suspension. When it is a shoudler charge suddenly people think that isnt worthy of a suspension or a penalty, it's suddenly a good hit gone wrong or other such bullshit.

Contact to the head is illegal regardless of how it is performed, so yes this particular instance was a clear deliberate elbow and as such Prior should have the book thrown at him suspension wise, similar level to Bird's deliberate knee years back. Te'o et al have also deserved every week they have gotten as a result of their 'tackles' that resulted in injuries which have serious long term effects on footballers.

OK....so we agree.

What exactly are you arguing about?

I remember seeing a lot of other opinions saying about Teo that yes, it was a shoulder charge

and yes, it went wrong, so he should pay the penalty.

Teo got 2 weeks....(I think)

end of story.

Are you suggesting Teo should get the same as Prior, when obviously Prior's was a scummy dog act and no where near within the laws of the game?

Fire

First Grade
I can't believe how many of you are calling for Matt Prior's head. I hate to see what you all will want done to Osama bin Laden when they find him.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
True. I meant in the sense of lasting injury.

Hoppa sent Galloway to hospital. Newton shattered Sims' jaw.

Prior sent Thurston jogging off the field sharing jokes with the trainer and his team-mates.

Nope. Sims' jaw was fine, and he even returned to the field later that same match.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Still waiting for your prediction to come true Grimesy. Awful tackle from a sh*t player and deserves a stint on the sidelines

Fire said:
I can't believe how many of you are calling for Matt Prior's head. I hate to see what you all will want done to Osama bin Laden when they find him.

:lol:

Right on cue.

Need anything else predicted? I might have some big financial news tomorrow.

#mofftastic

Mr Fourex

Bench
In my view yes, 1 minute earlier he was starting fights, he just wanted to take someone out and he did in INTENTIONALLY.

I saw what you're driving at. Prior was losing his shit before he elbowed Thurston.

It was a merkin act.

Latest posts