What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mayer Threatens to turn Tigpies into the Roosters

perverse

Referee
Bigger cap concessions for locally grown talent is the answer... and has been for 10-15 years. The current long service player allowance is totally inadequate. You might actually have to lower the base salary cap a bit so that clubs dont spend themselves into oblivion, but there is way more money at NRL level now from the TV deal.

Freeze the cap where it is and instead of raising it over the next few years, raise the long service allowances... and have those years start ticking over from junior level onwards. Say 10% off the cap for a players contract after 5 years scaling up to 50% over 10 or some such (just example figures... I'll leave it to smarter folk to figure out where it should actually be). If you can't hang onto your juniors with those stipulations then you don't deserve to have them.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I'd love to have an amicable discussion about Rugby League with some nice folk but every where I look there is a new thread full of people bitching about Balmain, Grant Mayer, Ben Elias. So as a supporter I feel the need to go into said threads and call those people f**kheads. :lol:

Bloody hell, I was in the process of agreeing with you and you hit me with your tampon filled handbag before I could comment.

I demand an apology.

gallagher

Juniors
Ah I see. You're talking shit. My bad I'll leave you to it.

Your the one who said Ellis is still taking up our salary cap space. Why cant you have a proper discussion with having the occasional tanty? If we wernt paying for Blair and ex players we would have more money to keep Tedeso. We got ourselves into this,whinging about other clubs wont help.

MacDougall

First Grade
Your the one who said Ellis is still taking up our salary cap space. Why cant you have a proper discussion with having the occasional tanty? If we wernt paying for Blair and ex players we would have more money to keep Tedeso. We got ourselves into this,whinging about other clubs wont help.

I explained it to you pretty clearly. Your points are not mutually exclusive.

We have Sironen, Tedesco, Nofoaluma, Koroibete, Moltzen and heaps more off contract this year. We COULD just say bye to everyone and sign Tedesco, but that'd be dumb. Because the Dogs and apparently the Roosters have weighed in with big offers we have to match big overs just to retain a star junior who we're only now seeing the best of and in doing so will likely lose other star juniors to accommodate. The clubs doing it to us are the reigning premiers who have no juniors and a club who just bought Fifita and Licha'a for massive overs, who also have no juniors. Put down the Mayer hate and understand the issue for what it is. We're being forced to choose between our homegrown talent just because clubs with huge wallets have to shop at our store because they don't have their own.

MacDougall

First Grade
Your the one who said Ellis is still taking up our salary cap space.

I said MAYBE in the context of it being more likely that what you actually said was the case, that of us still paying guys that haven't been here since 2011. I actually doubt we are.

gallagher

Juniors
I explained it to you pretty clearly. Your points are not mutually exclusive.

We have Sironen, Tedesco, Nofoaluma, Koroibete, Moltzen and heaps more off contract this year. We COULD just say bye to everyone and sign Tedesco, but that'd be dumb. Because the Dogs and apparently the Roosters have weighed in with big offers we have to match big overs just to retain a star junior who we're only now seeing the best of and in doing so will likely lose other star juniors to accommodate. The clubs doing it to us are the reigning premiers who have no juniors and a club who just bought Fifita and Licha'a for massive overs, who also have no juniors. Put down the Mayer hate and understand the issue for what it is. We're being forced to choose between our homegrown talent just because clubs with huge wallets have to shop at our store because they don't have their own.

There you go. No mention of my f#ckwit mate or how dumb I am. Much better.

They have the same salary cap as us. Dress it up any way you want but they are better run than us. We can address this. Crying to the media is only masking our shortfalls. If thats the best Mayer can do then we will continue down the same road.

MacDougall

First Grade
There you go. No mention of my f#ckwit mate or how dumb I am. Much better.

They have the same salary cap as us. Dress it up any way you want but they are better run than us. We can address this. Crying to the media is only masking our shortfalls. If thats the best Mayer can do then we will continue down the same road.

They don't have this problem because they don't produce juniors they want to keep. The fact that as of last year they were a better performing side isn't part of the issue. They just outbid other teams at opportune moments. We're effectively being punished for producing young players of quality by being forced to let go of them because of the cap. This is why we have 24 kids at other clubs. This problem would be a problem if we were premiers or not.

There's got to be a better way to reward teams for unearthing talent like this. It's not easy and we shouldn't have to lose Sironen or Nofoaluma to keep Tedesco, and have nothing to show for it, just because the Dogs can somehow afford to pay him more than we can.

In actual fact it seems like clubs that don't have the headache of needing to pay overs to fend off clubs from poaching their raw juniors fare better. It seems like the sentimentality of wanting to keep your young guys bites teams like us on the backside. Manly, Souths, Roosters, Dogs, Storm (outside the main three) are all sides who are largely made up of players from other clubs and these are the dominant sides of recent times. Not having to worry about keeping hold of their own talent allows them to ruthlessly design teams for success, taking pressure off their coaching team by giving them seasoned talent and never having to pay more than they want to for any player.

Jaegerex

Juniors
We MIGHT still be paying portions of Ellis's contract. But Gibbs and Fifita no bloody way in the world.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but yes, the Tigers are still paying part of Gibb's and Fifita's contract, this is the last year they are doing so however, also the Tigers are paying a small portion of Heighington's contract.
Beau is the only one we got from the Tigers where the contract has no payments from them involved.

MacDougall

First Grade
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but yes, the Tigers are still paying part of Gibb's and Fifita's contract, this is the last year they are doing so however, also the Tigers are paying a small portion of Heighington's contract.
Beau is the only one we got from the Tigers where the contract has no payments from them involved.

Well unless you can give me some evidence to back this up I'm just going to disregard this. :lol:

Gibbs retired and unretired during the off season lol. Does that mean the contract was voided?

Jaegerex

Juniors
Well unless you can give me some evidence to back this up I'm just going to disregard this. :lol:

Gibbs retired and unretired during the off season lol. Does that mean the contract was voided?

This is from Cb4 on the sharks forum, probably the closest we actually have to someone from the club on the forums, has pretty much a direct feed into the clubs management as far as I can tell. He tried to retire and have both clubs pay out his contract, I believe the Sharks promptly said no, if you want to be payed, play. So he stuck to his current contract.

Sorry took so long to reply, I was just making sure what I am posting is accurate.

This is the last year that the Tigers are chipping in on Fifita and Gibbs contract, but they are still paying part of it.
How good was it knowing that the Tigers paid Fifita last year to rip them apart.

You are correct on Beau, the Tigers are paying none of that.

They are paying a small portion of Heighingtons contract.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
He says in his article that they are fighting to keep tedesco and nofa etc and that it isn't right. Is it right that you went and bought Blair on a massive salary that could have contributed to keeping those blokes? Fair enough it might not have been his call but how is it the nrls problem to compensate when you get your recruitment so wrong? There are 17 spots available in a team, there are 50+ players in a club, you try and keep the best and the rest move on.

Ftr I wouldn't have a problem with compensation as my club would be well looked after, don't know how it would work though, how much is adequate compensation?

Jason Maher

Immortal
Simple solution: transfer fees. You poach a player developed by another club, you pay the club compensation.

Mayer threatens to turn the Wests Tigers in to a financially strong team that competes for premierships on the field and will double the membership count off the field? Terrible idea.

Dazraider

Juniors
Happens, but with the Tigers, well for those that knew the Balmian side of things, they always use to pick the sons officials over the better players anyway, hope its changed these days with the joint venture, but if it hasn't changed then really they deserve what they get.
suck it up I say as a raiders fan, happens to us alot and just have to deal with it or give a junior discount

Skreepe

Juniors
Macdougall talks poaching, lets talk about how the tigers poached Anasta from the Roosters.

Actually, lmaoooooo

Skreepe

Juniors
Tigers have been a mickey mouse club for years now. Even when they won the premiership they got extremely lucky.

They are a team that can beat any team by 20 on the day then lose next week by 50.

Lastly, Ayshford was a roosters jnr wasnt he? Hopefully Mayer has the compensation cheque in the mail.