What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McClennan GORNE

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I just want an experienced NRL coach, to coach the Warriors. I don't really care who, as long as it's not Ricky Stuart. Steve Kearney & Tony Iro are not the answer.

MKEB...

Staff member
Opes mentioned in the Bluey goorne thread? Just the mention of his name on this thread freaks the bejayzus outta me.

SilentOne

Juniors
How can you say Folkes is the right man? He hasn't coached a side since 2008, (Bulldogs won the wooden spoon that year) Forget what he did in the past, because the competition was vastly different to what we have today.

Jim Dymock is also out of the question, last week he turned down the NSW job to stay at the dogs under Des Hasler.

If the club wants results it needs Bellamy.

Of course, but it's time for the Warriors to have some real experience in the coaching box. No ex ESL coach, no U20's coach looking to make the step up.

Nobody is really suggesting that. I think we are all on the same page that we need an experienced (aussie by default) coach with 2 decent assistant coaches around him, and preferably those coaches would be kiwis to help smooth over any cultural differences the boys may have with a hard nosed aussie.

How can you say Folkes is the right man? He hasn't coached a side since 2008, (Bulldogs won the wooden spoon that year) Forget what he did in the past, because the competition was vastly different to what we have today.

Jim Dymock is also out of the question, last week he turned down the NSW job to stay at the dogs under Des Hasler.

And if we fail in snaring the most wanted coach in the NRL, who isnt off contract until 2014, who then?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Apart from everything else, McClennan is an eminently likeable guy and I hope he finds good employment from hereon in. He is a good bloke and a bad NRL coach. Nothing shameful in that. Some people are bad at both. I'd happily have a beer with the bloke

Nightmare screnario - Brian Smith. Seems to be out of favour at the Roosters, rumours of him gracefully moving on.....

Apart from everything else, McClennan is an eminently likeable guy and I hope he finds good employment from hereon in. He is a good bloke and a bad NRL coach. Nothing shameful in that. Some people are bad at both. I'd happily have a beer with the bloke

I know he'd never do it as it would be such a fall from grace, but Id love to see him coach the vulcans.

SilentOne

Juniors
And if we fail in snaring the most wanted coach in the NRL, who isnt off contract until 2014, who then?

As has been pointed out Hasler still had this year to run at Manly. failing to get Bellamy though I have faith Kearney would do a better job here than what he did at Parra.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Folkes has won a premiership, how many other coaches have we lured to NZ that have done that? Zero. As far as my memory goes, it was still rugby league they were playing in 2004. And he's involved now so any talk of it being a different game doesn't wash.

If we could get Bellamy, great. But isn't it more likely to get someone who isn't a head coach at present?

Highflyers

Juniors
I know that Tim Sheens had previously shown interest to coach the warriors... Not sure what his contract terms are at the Tigers??

He maybe looking for change, who knows??

No one could say they 'don't connect with the Polynesian players' then. We'd have to find other reasons if things went wrong.

Im sure if they did that some on here would find some new way to blame the coach and let the players away scott free. Im thinking:

"x banned them from drinking and made player z sad because he was really looking forward to player w's party tonight"
"x wants them to go against their natural games and do y, which made the players sad"
"x released player y who all the other players really liked and it made them sad"
"x told player y off at half time and all the players really like him and it made them sad"
"x said no drinking on game day and it made them sad because player w reckons he always plays better with a skin full"
"x doesn't call player y 'sir' and it makes the other players sad because respect is important in the dressing room"
"x asked player y to participate in training, but y didnt want to because he had to go shopping for a new tight pastel polo shirt, so x told him off and it made the other players sad"
"x gave player y a star on the star chart, but not player w and that's really unfair because player w tried really hard to make that goal line tackle but he was really hungover and couldn't, and that made all the other players really sad"

Last edited:

Latest posts