What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGregor Appointed Full Time

Agree that three years is too long and that they should have waited until seasons end but...

I can't believe all the doom and gloom around this announcement. Since when did "supporting" this great club amount to death riding the coach for three years?

Nobody who thinks this is the end of the world can come up with one other candidate who a) wanted the job, (b) was actually available or c) is a genuinely better alternative. Bennett? Didn't want it. Sheens? Has never expressed any interest. Smith? A 66-77-1 record over his last 6 years as a coach. That's 46% - if McGregor only wins 46% he'll be crucified! Henry? Took the logical step up from assistant to head coach at the Titans (sounds familiar). Laurie Daley? Coaching the Blues I believe. Brown? Coaching in Super League and happy doing it. Jason Taylor? Seriously. Someone said we're the new Souths. Well who was coach of the old Souths (with his 42% winning record) So that leaves McGregor. He might not win us a premiership but in 11 games we're already a much more competitive team than when Price was in charge. He at least deserves to be given a chance

Personally I would like to have see Tony Smith given the job. But again, he didn't want it..

Walpole - thanks for your first post ... a very good one - and welcome to the Forum.

From a lifelong supporter's perspective I don't think it is death-riding.

It is questioning the process.

Everyone is usually accepting of decision that may not be their preferred outcome if they are satisfied that the process used to reach the decision has integrity.

I am not convinced of that - not until I hear management's follow up responses. However you must admit that in this regard, our board does not have a strong track record and the public perception is ordinary.

That is not death-riding.

And...

Is that what we've become? ...no-one wants to coach us?

Is that because we maybe have a reputation of jobs for the boys?? If so, hardly evidence of integrity in the management system and processes.

And lastly, I don't agree we are a much more competitive team under McGregor then Steve Price. I just don't see it.

I hope Paul McGregor is the best man for the job.

GT0007

Juniors
Three years seems a bit long, I would have thought two years with an option in the clubs favour for a third would've been better. Know he has the job I wish him and the club the best! There is no point in getting pessimistic about it we cant change it we just have to enjoy the ride.

I tend to agree. I might have given him 3yrs as long as the club has an out if he didnt reach KPI's and who knows that may be the case as we most likely will never know the finer details of the contract.

On KPI's .........I've read in this forum that people think that making the 8 is not good enough and that we should win the GF. If that is the case then 15 coaches should get sacked every year.....BE REALISTIC!

Our expectation should be to make the finals every year and that is reasonable as several clubs are already doing that. Our goal for next year specifically should be to make the top 4 which is achieveable and with a Kasiano type signing I think we can be contenders. While we all want to win a comp, linking that to KPI's is rediculous

Godz Illa

Coach
There is no place for facts in this forum! You will upset all the deathriders!

Facts? Is it a fact that Brown or Smith didn't want it? Show me the proof. What fact exactly was provided about Taylor.

Who the f**k are you to label people as deathriders simply because they don't share your own (rather dull) view?

TruSaint

Referee
Walpole - thanks for your first post ... a very good one - and welcome to the Forum.

Everyone is usually accepting of decision that may not be their preferred outcome if they are satisfied that the process used to reach the decision has integrity.

I am not convinced of that - not until I hear management's follow up responses. However you must admit that in this regard, our board does not have a strong track record and the public perception is ordinary.

And...

Is that because we maybe have a reputation of jobs for the boys?? If so, hardly evidence of integrity in the management system and processes.

And lastly, I don't agree we are a much more competitive team under McGregor then Steve Price. I just don't see it.

This.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Well Mcgregor was a far better player than Toovey...if he ends up being a better coach than them as well I'll be happy.

You've got to be kidding man; pound for pound the toughest player to lace a boot vs a cotton wool running centre that never passed a ball. Fair dinkum

Drop Bear

Juniors
Well I'm going to back him, and stick by our team.
I think Mary has the power to draw big name players to us, and we will move on now that a decision has been made. Go Dragons.

GT0007

Juniors

And...

When people go full tilt bagging the coach when we lose and still don't have a positive to say when we win I'd say that is deathriding, it appears that they want us to lose so they can prove they are right.

We got flogged by 30-40pts the previous 3 games in a row before Mary took over and have gone from spoon contenders to potential top 8 and you can't see we've been more competitive? The only teams we have lost against are top 4 and we are not a top 4 side this year so that is reasonable.

The following should help to gauge if we've improved under Mary:

.....................Price.................. Mary
Wins ...............40% ...................54.5%

Differential ......-77 ...................... 28

Games lost....... 5 ..........................1 (1st game against Souths
by over.............................................& only 2-3 days with team)
16pts

The good thing is we still have improvement in us but unfortunately we have run out of time to reach our potential this season

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Just heard the news, so we go from Bennent almost signing the dotted line to MacGregor so it was a like for like swap!!!
I need to digest this over the next 3 weeks. I do think 3 years is rather generous as well.
Can we still sign a decent Prop and backup. hooker? That will get rid of any excuses next year....I really don't know what to think of this long term??
Go the Dragons, no matter what!!!!

GT0007

Juniors
I would think details of negotiations between other coaches would be confidential but I wonder if they will confirm the coaches they considered?

GT0007

Juniors
Facts? Is it a fact that Brown or Smith didn't want it? Show me the proof. What fact exactly was provided about Taylor.

Who the f**k are you to label people as deathriders simply because they don't share your own (rather dull) view?

:lol::lol::lol:

Brown told The Daily Telegraph from St Helens on Tuesday night he was happy to remain in Super League.?I?m quite happy and content where I am,?? Brown said.
?I?m quite satisfied at the moment.
?The big thing is timing and the timing must be right.
?I?ve got a good job here. I would like to come home and coach one day but it?s not really an option at the moment.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ors-coaching-job/story-fni3fbgz-1226878143258

_Johnsy

Referee
Great news, I think he's earned his contract. He's brought some passion back to the Red V that was seriously lacking under Price's tenure and we started looking more competitive as soon as he took over the reigns. He's an alpha male that commands respect, he knows his footy and he knows and loves this club!

I look forward to seeing how we go in 2015 under a full MacGregor pre-season.

If we're successful, I also look forward to the same people who are whinging about his appointment, then going on to whinge that Doust should have signed him for 5 years!

God bless this forum with all it's trolls and whingers, and GOD BLESS THE MIGHTY RED V!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if an opinion differs to yours or it has a negative tone they're whinging.

Interesting.

hazzbeen

Bench
we wont make the playoffs for another three years, will always be a dragons supporter but this BOYS CLUB thing is a killer, Illawarra have got there way, and im over it, the club is in a shambles and will take a clean out of the club to change it, from CEO to groundsman.

Been saying the same thing its a shambles..... it was always going to be Mary .......... LONG LIVE THE BOYS CLUB.......:crazy:

rainman44

Bench
:lol::lol::lol:

Brown told The Daily Telegraph from St Helens on Tuesday night he was happy to remain in Super League.?I?m quite happy and content where I am,?? Brown said.
?I?m quite satisfied at the moment.
?The big thing is timing and the timing must be right.
?I?ve got a good job here. I would like to come home and coach one day but it?s not really an option at the moment.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ors-coaching-job/story-fni3fbgz-1226878143258
The timing will be right when Doust is gone.

gypsy

Bench
Loving the butthurt from Godzilla and co.

He has lifted us big time, and most importantly our squad look happy.
Why bring in old man Sheens anyway, the game has passed him by.

Good stuff Mary.

The Nick

Bench
lol. The club lost, on a number of levels.

We don't know the terms of the contract, for all we know the club negotiated a lower salary in return for the longer deal, thus enabling the club to afford to pay him out/sign another coach should they need to terminate his contract early. People are too quick to make assumptions and bag the club despite not knowing the facts.

_Johnsy

Referee
We sign the greatest modern day coach for three years, even though he wanted 5.

We sign a rookie coach who had some success coaching in the Illawarra league, moderate success in the NSW cup, had a few years as our strength & conditioning coach (when we had numerous big names injured missing many, many weeks) to a three year deal.

Sounds about right.

The Nick

Bench
We sign the greatest modern day coach for three years, even though he wanted 5.

We sign a rookie coach who had some success coaching in the Illawarra league, moderate success in the NSW cup, had a few years as our strength & conditioning coach (when we had numerous big names injured missing many, many weeks) to a three year deal.

Sounds about right.

Well the good news is he won't be the strength and conditioning coach for the next 3 years! LOL

Mickthedragon

Juniors
What a joke of a ceo and board.
Price should have been sacked earlier this year to give mary a proper chance at proving himself and making the 8.
Blind freddy could see it wasnt working with price,but doust just kept holding on.
Happy to give mary a go but 3 years.....why not just one to see how he goes first.
Now we are just left with more of the unknown for seasons ahead.
Best of luck mary and love the red v but doust and his incompetence can go get f*****.

Latest posts