What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Rebels in $1m bid for Billy Slater & Israel Folau

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree, he is a regular game winner and over the last couple of years is adding a more attack the line and pass role than ever. More importantly for the club he is a crowd favourite and someone the kids love, Inglis doesn;t have the same "star" quality or rapport with the fans.

Bit like asking would you prefer to have you right or left arm chopped off but for me I'd take Slater over Inglis, reckon he is on a bit less $'s as well.

scruffystorm

Juniors
The AFL footy show has reported tonight that the new Greater Western Sydney team has offered folau a 3 year contract for $3 millions. It reported that he haddone testing with the AFL development team in the off season

elbusto

Coach
I'd be a lot more angry if he went to AFL that's for sure.
If he goes to AFL he will have to learn how to miss tackles and drop the ball on a regular basis. Given his form this year he will be a natural fit. As far as I am concerned he can f**k off.

LESStar58

Referee
The AFL footy show has reported tonight that the new Greater Western Sydney team has offered folau a 3 year contract for $3 millions. It reported that he haddone testing with the AFL development team in the off season

If he was doing it on the quiet in the off-season and it's only just come out now I reckon he'll go to the Blacktown Boggerloiterers....

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Thats right abandon the code that made you who you are now and gave you the chance to be a sporting icon. Never mind the coaches who have put hundreds of hours into developing you into the talent you are today

If he jumps ship, make sure he never ever comes back, ungrateful little prick

Gaba

First Grade
I like how people always say its the end of league , when players switch to rugby union, when its the player who switches people dont hear any more about them its like they disappeared off the planet.

It will be the same with folau no one will care what he does in union if he switches

Last edited:
I like how people always say its the end of league , when players switch to rugby union, when its the player who switches people dont hear any more about them its like they disappeared off the planet.

It will be the same with folau no one will care what he does in union if he switches

So true.
Sonny Bill Williams left. Big uproar. He has now faded into obscurity.
Mark Gasnier left. Big uproar. He has now faded into obscurity.
Craig Wing left. Haven't heard a word about him. Obscurity.
And so on ...

Thats right abandon the code that made you who you are now and gave you the chance to be a sporting icon. Never mind the coaches who have put hundreds of hours into developing you into the talent you are today

There does need to be a penalty for these turncoats.
I honestly believe any player who switches to AFL should be banned for life. Mainly because they are freaking idiots for agreeing to become marketing tool puppets for the AFL.

But in the end these defections hurt the AFL and Union WAY more than the NRL. Why? How would you feel if you were an AFL or Union player and discover that athletes who have never played your sport are now the highest paid 'stars' in your game? Or if you were an AFL or Union junior coming up? I would seriously consider playing rugby league simply because it would seem like the AFL and Union were rewarding players who jumped ship to their sport.

There does need to be a penalty for these turncoats.
I honestly believe any player who switches to AFL should be banned for life. Mainly because they are freaking idiots for agreeing to become marketing tool puppets for the AFL.

But in the end these defections hurt the AFL and Union WAY more than the NRL. Why? How would you feel if you were an AFL or Union player and discover that athletes who have never played your sport are now the highest paid 'stars' in your game? Or if you were an AFL or Union junior coming up? I would seriously consider playing rugby league simply because it would seem like the AFL and Union were rewarding players who jumped ship to their sport.

Get real. Banned for life?

Your second paragraph makes more sense

And if Falou goes to GWS, it wont make me interested in AFL any more than I am. Lets face it, you dont need to seek out the news of afl any deeper because he's the first thing they mention. First game, sure, you keep an ear out. But thats about it. An update later in the year, then obscurity.

I never want to think this kind of thing is justified for the nrl - due to the limited impact of these things - I'm ropable we can't give the guy more money. But not because he's going. Thats cool. Its what we do.

No. I'm ropable because this is about money - the most important thing there is, and RL has almost none of it. I just fail to see how the situation can be made better any time soon. They have failed RL; indeed it was a poorly disguised farce in the first place. I dont care if news ltd does some good and turns melbourne into a manchester United (minus the debt) I will forever loathe and despise that organisation.

The next tv deal better be a f**king golden handshake, you toothless snakes.....you'd find it hard to swollow waldron.

And if the AFL thinks I'm going to watch Falou long enough to fall in love with their ugly game, they're wrong

Last edited:

Usain Bolt

Bench

LOL idiot, gotta laugh at people who say this:lol::lol::lol:

Brutus

Referee
Perhaps it wasn't just a slip of the tongue when Folau said he hoped the AFL succeed in Western Sydney whilst at a NRL fan day.

And it makes the AFL look better to say that "Folau's management team approached us".

I've heard that is a load of codswallop and it was the AFL that approached Folau's management team, just like they approached Hayne.

What I want to know is why the AFL have so much more money than us when we do better on the box when you include Origin and Tests into the deal. Is it because they have teams in Perth and an outpost like Adelaide?

Goddo

Bench
^ That is the underlying real issue at hand Brutus... Folau going isn't really a big deal. Hes a bit overrated imo. Broncs would be best off letting him go and nabbing Slater or Inglis from the Storm.

The real issue is why do they have so much more money from TV when we are tied on free to air and blow them out of the water on pay TV?

The NRL must be payed what its worth from the next TV deal onwards, and News Ltd have to exit the game for an Independent Commission.

I'd say Folau is going to the Rebels, but his AFL comments make it probably 50/50...

abpanther

Staff member
I don't think Folau is suited at all to AFL, seems like another desperate move to garner attention for the new WS franchise.

Sure he's big and can jump, but he is slow as anything and he is way too heavy at the moment to play AFL, doesn't seem to have any kicking skills either.

Inglis would be a much better option for them IMO

JW

Coach
Kick traitor Israel Folau out of NRL forever
Steve Ricketts From: The Daily Telegraph April 30, 2010 12:00AM

FORMER Test centre Tony Currie has called for Israel Folau to be banned for life from returning to rugby league if the Broncos star switches to rugby union with the Melbourne Rebels.

Currie said rugby league had to take a stand against code defectors and reward loyalty, but also made it clear he was not singling out Folau.

He said North Queensland Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston should be in the same boat if he switched codes, with French union clubs interested in his services.

Thurston reaffirmed this week it was a choice between the Cowboys and union and he would not play for a rival NRL club.

A veteran of eight Tests for Australia and 13 State of Origin games for Queensland between 1982 and '89, Currie said he was concerned the whole culture of rugby league was being ruined by a grab for cash.

"There is not enough money in the game to sustain the wages some players are asking," said Currie who was part of the management team of the Indigenous All Stars side which defeated the NRL All Stars in February.

"I say, let them go if players want to switch to union or AFL, but ban them from returning to our game as they often do looking to set themselves up for life after football, like Wendell Sailor.

"Good luck to Wendell with his media career, but I don't want to see that situation happening over and over again.

"How old is Thurston? 27. There were 10 or more years put into the kid to get him to where he is today. All that money, time and effort by coaches, the ladies in the canteen, the people who wash the jerseys.

"The players forget that. If they want to go, I say 'See you later', but don't try to come back for a big pay day after two or three years in another code.

"You've got to reward loyalty and remember the development work of many people, even if the players don't.

"Too many players want to take, take, take and give nothing back. I think some are a bit greedy and if $400,000 is not enough it's obvious the culture has to change.

"We have to take a stand and the players have to know there will be consequences."

Besides Sailor, other players to return to league from union include Timana Tahu, Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers, Clinton Schifcofske, Ryan McGoldrick, Henry Paul, Brad Thorn (now back with rugby) and British internationals Brian Carney (who is now a league commentator) and Lee Smith.

Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen said plans to ban players from returning to rugby league had been discussed before.

"It is an issue that gets raised, but in some ways you bite off your nose to spite your face," Cullen said.

"It would be hard to argue that the guys who have returned to league recently haven't added value to the game."

St George Illawarra's South African-born prop Jarrod Saffy is expected to confirm a switch of codes in 2010 to join the Rebels next year. Saffy came to the Dragons from Sydney University Rugby Union.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-of-nrl-forever/story-e6frexnr-1225860393462

BLKOUT!

Juniors
They said on the AFL footy show that Folau was a top 5 player in the game, all universally agreed on it. At least we know they really don't watch rugby league.