What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

TheParraboy

Staff member
My old man passed away earlier today
I had visited him twice yesterday and he seemed the same, just fatigued, sleeping a lot, talking very little.He didn't have any dinner, not that he was eating before, only a small bowl of soup most days, if that.
I helped him get more comfortable , and wished him good night around 8pm. This was the last time I would talk to him forever.
We got a call this morning that overnight things got bad with his breathing, today or tomorrow was going to be his last. We went and saw him in the morning and he looked bad, breathing badly and looked spaced out (horrible thing to see). We then had appointment with a funeral director, as we left me and mum hoped he would pass soon as he was suffering. Just before we entered the funeral parlour we got a call from the hospital that he was gone. After the funeral meeting was over we went back and sat with dad for a bit. There was relief he wasnt suffering anymore, but deep sadness also

Me and mum cried a bit but we will process things as best we can in the coming days and weeks and pull through somehow. Funeral is organised , just some odds and ends to sort out for that. Been very exhausting and depressing last few weeks.

Incorrect

Coach
I had visited him twice yesterday and he seemed the same, just fatigued, sleeping a lot, talking very little.He didn't have any dinner, not that he was eating before, only a small bowl of soup most days, if that.
I helped him get more comfortable , and wished him good night around 8pm. This was the last time I would talk to him forever.
We got a call this morning that overnight things got bad with his breathing, today or tomorrow was going to be his last. We went and saw him in the morning and he looked bad, breathing badly and looked spaced out (horrible thing to see). We then had appointment with a funeral director, as we left me and mum hoped he would pass soon as he was suffering. Just before we entered the funeral parlour we got a call from the hospital that he was gone. After the funeral meeting was over we went back and sat with dad for a bit. There was relief he wasnt suffering anymore, but deep sadness also

Me and mum cried a bit but we will process things as best we can in the coming days and weeks and pull through somehow. Funeral is organised , just some odds and ends to sort out for that. Been very exhausting and depressing last few weeks.
Deepest condolences to you and your family on your loss mate. Wishing you lots of strength at this difficult time

Rocket man

Juniors

Sorry for your loss.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade

I'm sorry mate.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Sorry to hear mate and condolences to you and your family TPB.

You only get one father in life so hopefully he has passed on all the good attributes that make you the person you are today.

My great grandmother who was 96 passed away yesterday arvo. She outlived the Queen as she was born in the same year.

We went to the nursing home on Saturday to say goodbyes basically as doctors rang my pop on friday saying things were escalating rapidly.

Fortunately she died peacefully and is now in a happy place.

Avenger

Immortal

Iā€™m sorry for your loss. Just a tip as I went through it last year. You will get through this. The funeral will be almost like a relief. Days and weeks after you may start getting really sad again. There may be some regret (there was plenty with me) but it will get better.

Iā€™m not preaching to you but try and talk to as many people as you can and if you have to talk to someone Iā€™m available. PM if you wish.

Take care and focus on your mum and most importantly look after yourself.

IFR33K

Coach

Sorry to hear mateā€¦.

JokerEel

Coach

Sorry for you loss.

the phantom menace

First Grade

Sorry to read of your loss - sadly from experience no words can ease what you and your mum are dealing with.

Take care of yourselves the best you can in the coming days and weeks as you navigate the necessary, small steps aa time.

Probably the most important post Iā€™ve read on LU.

Thanks for sharing it.

My daughter and I send our love and best wishes to you and mum.

Youā€™ll be ok. He lives through you. If he was a good man, thatā€™s it you know.

I had to put on the brave face when each of my parents passed away. Tough it out a bit. Not sure what else to do.

eels_fan

First Grade

So sorry for your loss mate. Condolences and thoughts with your and your family.

My Dad is 80 later this year, and whilst heā€™s been ā€œluckyā€ the dreadful C has never reared its head, his Parkinsonā€™s is rapidly declining his mobility which for a man who couldnā€™t be stopped/lived his life on the go is so difficult to watch. Down with him in Sydney at the moment and taking him to the tigers game next week, but every time we say goodbye after a trip I worry itā€™s the last time. Heā€™s survived Vietnam and a heart attack, but I think mentally the battle is being lost with the deterioration in his physical quality of life.

My wife and I are one of the far too many couples who have had to bury a child, so I know when the time comes for my parents to move on Iā€™ll survive and handle it as I did for my son, but it doesnā€™t make it easy or less sad.

IFR33K

Coach
So sorry for your loss mate. Condolences and thoughts with your and your family.

My Dad is 80 later this year, and whilst heā€™s been ā€œluckyā€ the dreadful C has never reared its head, his Parkinsonā€™s is rapidly declining his mobility which for a man who couldnā€™t be stopped/lived his life on the go is so difficult to watch. Down with him in Sydney at the moment and taking him to the tigers game next week, but every time we say goodbye after a trip I worry itā€™s the last time. Heā€™s survived Vietnam and a heart attack, but I think mentally the battle is being lost with the deterioration in his physical quality of life.

My wife and I are one of the far too many couples who have had to bury a child, so I know when the time comes for my parents to move on Iā€™ll survive and handle it as I did for my son, but it doesnā€™t make it easy or less sad.

sorry to hear about your father, but burying a child would be the toughest thing in life, no parent should have to go thru/experience. As humans we should be expected to bury our parents not our kids. Unfortunately it doesnā€™t always go that way. Hopefully your dad doesnā€™t suffer greatly and you get to create many more memories.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

so sorry to hear that mate